PDA

View Full Version : anybody happy with karmic?

Pages : [1] 2

note32
October 30th, 2009, 06:43 AM
all today all i have been hearing is complaints about how karmic sucks, by the way which it doesn't it just came out so of course theres gonna be some issues with give it some time to settle in

i installed it today an am loving it:p

ikt
October 30th, 2009, 06:47 AM
all today all i have been hearing is complaints about how karmic sucks, by the way which it doesn't

I am also loving it, however looking at how many new posts are from people looking for answers has scared me, there must be 10x what there normally are.

note32
October 30th, 2009, 06:51 AM
yea but alot of the problems are the same problem just different people

Chronon
October 30th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Well, 64-bit Kubuntu was a whole bunch of fail for me. I have the 32 bit version installed now and I am liking it. It was a smoother upgrade for me than Intrepid -> Jaunty.

I just wish I knew why the 64-bit LiveCD won't work on my Dell XPS 630i (with Core 2 Quad).

Anyway, the 32 bit version is working just fine on both netbook and desktop systems now.

lisati
October 30th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I had a quick look earlier but haven't installed it "for real" yet. My initial impression is that although there are some nice touches, I'm going to have to do some troubleshooting to get it to work well with my hardware: I'm not looking forward to this.

Realisticly though, it's early days yet, and with the range of different hardware that forum users have, it's amazing that any release works as well as it does, and it's almost inevitable that some of us might experience some hiccups.

On the plus side, there are some positive reports lurking in the forums.

note32
October 30th, 2009, 06:57 AM
it seems like everyone only has problems when they upgrade, but everyone else who did a fresh install likes it

jmore9
October 30th, 2009, 06:59 AM
I have had a very positive experience with 9.10. Runs great , had no problems upgrading from 9.04.

I like it better than the others.

Excedio
October 30th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I love it...picked up my wireless beautifully. Only had one small hiccup,,,but that was easy to fix. :-)

jfloydb
October 30th, 2009, 07:03 AM
So far, I liked 9.04 the best.

dj-toonz
October 30th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I see the first lot of updates are comming in for karmic as I've just done a sudo apt-get upgrade & got some :) so it's going to get better now, hope they have fixed some things with these & if anybody wants to know what they were

f-spot fuse-utils grub-common grub-pc libfuse2 libpython2.6 libsmbclient
libwbclient0 python2.6 python2.6-minimal samba-common samba-common-bin
smbclient totem totem-common totem-mozilla totem-plugins update-manager

Sealbhach
October 30th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I've been using it since Alpha 5 and I'm very happy with it. Two big improvements for me - sound is configured correctly right out of the box and the wireless connection runs much more smoothly, when I flip the switch on the front of my laptop it just connects exactly like it should, whereas up to now I had to fiddle about with switching on and off the network connection until it picked up the signal.

Startup and shutdown much nicer and faster too, so I'm happy with Karmic.

Naiki Muliaina
October 30th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Boot time is epic slowness for me. I think thats Grub2 though. Default look is naff, a downgrade there, which is a shame cause Ubuntus getting so much press at the moment would have been nice to impress.

Have a general feel the Jaunty was better. Early days yet though. Gonna wander the help forums and see if i can get PC booting quicker thana couple of minutes :)

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 30th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I generally prefer Karmic to Jaunty. Things just seem to work flawlessly including my microphones, which I had problems with before. I do have a wireless problem now, where my dns server defaults to my router and causes slow internet, but I have fixed that problem long ago so now it works flawlessly again. Better than jaunty or any other distro I've tried to date. I think I'll forgo the opportunity to try out the new Fedora next month (my other favorite distro), because I am liking Karmic so much.

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 30th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Gonna wander the help forums and see if i can get PC booting quicker thana couple of minutes :)

Wow. Really? It's that bad? I'd be upset too.

SeanBlader
October 30th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I did the release candidate install a week before the official release, and have been very happy. Fortunately though, I learned my lesson with hardware. My last laptop had all the bells and whistles, touchscreen, fingerprint reader, and all that stuff had a hard time working on Ubuntu, so I got a newer laptop that's slimmer and doesn't have broadcom for wireless, and has integrated Intel video, and fortunately everything has been incredibly solid. Sound is still a minor issue, but it's so much better this release than Jaunty was.

In comparison to the Windows 7 upgrade that I just did today to two systems one of them FAR FAR faster than I run Karmic on, it took Windows about the same amount of time to do a fresh install, then I had to reinstall all the games and stuff I do on that system. On a system that's a little faster than the Ubuntu system it took about 3 hours to run the upgrade. Literally I went to out to dinner and when I got back the upgrade still had an hour to go.

I usually install a fresh ubuntu though, just blast away the old OS partition, install anew there and keeping my home partition, most of my preferences and settings come right back with the new install. Run through installing a few accessories like Flash and Thunderbird, and I'm up to 100% of where I was with the last Ubuntu in about 90 minutes total. Fast easy, and as far as I'm concerned Ubuntu gets better with every release, I can't wait for Lucid to see the sub 10 second boot time.

I only have 1 complaint, and that's Empathy's huge obnoxious icon in the system tray. It was so annoying I went back to pidgin. Still the rest is good.

note32
October 30th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I've been using it since Alpha 5 and I'm very happy with it. Two big improvements for me - sound is configured correctly right out of the box and the wireless connection runs much more smoothly, when I flip the switch on the front of my laptop it just connects exactly like it should, whereas up to now I had to fiddle about with switching on and off the network connection until it picked up the signal.

yea i've been using karmic since alpha 5 too

Katalog
October 30th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I'm still adjusting to the new Netbook Remix interface (my habits are so ingrained after having used the old one for almost a year), but all of my hardware seems to work OK so far. In Jaunty I had to fiddle with ndiswrapper to get the wifi to work well on my Eee PC 1000HA, this time everything I've used so far has worked out of the box. The main function keys I use (screen brightness, wifi on/off, volume up/down) work fine by default, and the touchpad click is FAR less sensitive than it was in Jaunty - it was so bad I had to disable it in 9.04 because I couldn't even scroll without inadvertently clicking something, even at the lowest setting. Webcam works, and sound volume is also quite a bit louder than it was in Jaunty.

So yeah, so far so good. We'll see how I feel about after a couple of weeks. I would definitely like to see a version of eee-control for Karmic (old one won't install) to be able to squeeze a little more battery life out it, but I can wait a little while for Grigori to finish it now that 9.10 final is out.

Katalog
October 30th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I only have 1 complaint, and that's Empathy's huge obnoxious icon in the system tray. It was so annoying I went back to pidgin. Still the rest is good.

I dislike the default icon myself. I found some replacement tray icons on gnome-look.org that are much nicer looking, and pretty easy to install.

Ms_Angel_D
October 30th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I installed the Kubuntu RC last week and It's been great for me. :D

note32
October 30th, 2009, 07:35 AM
lol yea the empathy icon is unappealing it kinda reminds of the blue man group:lolflag:

betrunkenaffe
October 30th, 2009, 07:35 AM
yes

misfitpierce
October 30th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I have seen a lot of good praise on 9.10 karmic as well!

wmcbrine
October 30th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Startup and shutdown much nicer and faster too, so I'm happy with Karmic.This is something that surprises me -- the way everyone talks about the speedy boot time of Karmic. For me, Jaunty already had achieved a 15-second boot, which really impressed me at the time, but no one ever seemed to mention it; all I read was how fast it would be in the next version. Well, I upgraded to Karmic, and startup doesn't seem any faster than Jaunty... maybe even a little slower. Mind you, it's still pretty impressive.

Unfortunately I can't really comment on anything past the login screen yet. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8193960#post8193960)

Sealbhach
October 30th, 2009, 08:07 AM
This is something that surprises me -- the way everyone talks about the speedy boot time of Karmic. For me, Jaunty already had achieved a 15-second boot, which really impressed me at the time, but no one ever seemed to mention it; all I read was how fast it would be in the next version. Well, I upgraded to Karmic, and startup doesn't seem any faster than Jaunty... maybe even a little slower. Mind you, it's still pretty impressive.

Unfortunately I can't really comment on anything past the login screen yet. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8193960#post8193960)

For me, startup is not much faster, but shutdown really is, it shuts down in about 3 seconds.

Exodist
October 30th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Over all its not bad. 9.10 is a nice little upgrade from 9.04.

Only real quirks I have noticed is Pulse Audio is still crapped. Really need to get the head developer of PA to help the Ubuntu Devs get this worked out before Lucid.
Also the Orange colors in the default themes seem dirty-er. To much brown over all. I know people always say "You can change it", yes no ****.. But first impressions are most important..

Over all it gets a 8.5 out of 10 from me.

toupeiro
October 30th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Am I alone in my thinking of "I just did an OS upgrade, got new versions of all my software, and everything is working as good as it was before I upgraded" is a really, really great thing? Really, when is the last time windows has provided that? Ubuntu is a really good wheel that doesn't get reinvented on every upgrade. Windows is less like a wheel and more like metamorphosis. The butterfly is a perfect mascot for them. :P

sampielogic
October 30th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Yes, its great!

I did a fresh install to upgrade to ext4 on my Dell Inspiron 6400.

Absolutely everything worked right away (sound, graphics, wireless), it runs faster, its much faster to boot, shutdown takes about 2-3 seconds and there are no problems whatsoever.

I simply can't beleive a product this good is free.

cptnazeroth
October 30th, 2009, 09:05 AM
In all honesty... I am loving Karmic. Coming from Hardy 8.04 - I have had a nearly painless installation experience. The only issues I had was a very minor issue with my wireless, which was probably 100x easier to fix then it was in Hardy, and at the moment I'm noticing things are taking a little longer to download/install then usual. Other then that though, I am completely impressed by the experience that I have had so far with 9.10.

hanzomon4
October 30th, 2009, 09:30 AM
The hype is real... karmic is the best Ubuntu release ever granted all of your hardware works. Really you can't judge an OS if your hardware isn't supported well. Fresh install, don't upgrade, and you'll save yourself much frustration most of the time.

John Bean
October 30th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Default look is naff, a downgrade there
Yes. I thought it was just me, I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking this.

phrostbyte
October 30th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Apport seems to be picking up a ton of crashes, but I am not even sure *what* is crashing. It's very weird.
The boot up has a split second interval where is shows a console. This is a cosmetic regression from 9.04 (at least on my hardware), the shutdown is similar.

But other then that I like it so far. :p

koleoptero
October 30th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I'm as happy as I was with jaunty.

tayran
October 30th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I have installed Kubuntu Karmic yesterday and i am happy with it since then. KDE 4.3 is far more stable and has better performance on my lenovo thinkpad r61i having intel graphics. One thing that disappointed me was the boot time of about 50secs. I think it is related to the intel graphics. While i was using 2.6.28 kernel with default intallation of Jaunty it was taking 35secs to boot but with slower graphics.

I wonder how ubuntu team will reach that 15 secs boot time target set for the next release..

ElSlunko
October 30th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I'm happy with it. It's much more motivating to voice yourself when you're angry or frustrated rather than happy and satiated.

marchwarden
October 30th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I did a clean install with the 64-bit (first time using it, previously used 32-bit) and I am happy with it so far.

madnessjack
October 30th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Ima wait till I can see posts resolving some of the issues I had with Jaunty. It's bound to be a bit rough, it's expected, I just don't have the time right now to mess about just to get it to function like a basic OS (no offense Ubuntu, I still love you!) :)

pookiebear
October 30th, 2009, 01:34 PM
the one laptop I upgraded, went smoothly.
My hopes via upgrading were.
bluetooth would work with the same settings from 9.04 (took a lot of tweaking)
b43-fwcutter would work without retweaking (my laptop has the 4311 and it is working now)
My 5 hour google search for the ATI setup that rocks would not get busted. It didn't .
no retweaking at all. I just ran the upgrade and rebooted when it told me too. Guess I got lucky. I am using the 32 bit version.

pi4r0n
October 30th, 2009, 01:37 PM

and they don't even bother to search for resolution on this forum and just creating new posts over and over again :(

Coming back to main question of this post which is "Anybody happy with karmic?" I can say that I quite like the new Ubuntu 9.10 but personally for me its same old Ubunut with some funky fueters like Ubuntu Software Centre etc. Not much change in terms of drivers issues or improvement.

Cheers

pi4r0n

garba
October 30th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I've just installed kubuntu karmic, kde 4.3 is just, well, amazing, I never thought I would get back to KDE... I've been using gnome over the past 18 months waiting for kde to get its act together, you guys should give it a try, it's amazing what this DE is turning into.

forrestcupp
October 30th, 2009, 01:51 PM
With every new release, there is always a host of people saying that it sucks and it's not nearly as good as the last release. Then when the next release comes, the same people will be saying it sucks and they will be singing the praises of Karmic. ;)

bonfire89
October 30th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I can't say I not I noticed a majority of unhappy users by browsing the forums/interwebs... I noticed the opposite actually...

adeypoop
October 30th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I've done a clean install upgrading from Hardy, and really liking it so far. Seems very polished and responsive. The intel graphics are supposed to be better supported, will find out once i get oolite up and running. I've got a legit copy of windows 7 ultimate but gonna stick with karmic instead ;-)

stinger30au
October 30th, 2009, 02:24 PM
i wiped out 3 pc's i have running 9.10 beta and installed the final

wow

theres so many bug fixxes they have done its amazing

loving 9.10

cant wait to see 10.04

been a user since 7.04 and theres been some *BIG* changes

brilliant stuff

goofee
October 30th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Best release ever. Stable, fast, simple.

shwallace
October 30th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I installed Karmic destop RC about a week ago and really like. It installed just fine on a Toshiba satellite laptop and my home brew desktop machine. The only thing I'm not sure about is the pluse audio on the desktop. It doesn't seem to work quite a well as it did in Jaunty but it may just be a configuration thing. I'm still working on it.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I love it :)

Best release until Lucid! lol

FrontalNoize
October 30th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Well, 64-bit Kubuntu was a whole bunch of fail for me. I have the 32 bit version installed now and I am liking it. It was a smoother upgrade for me than Intrepid -> Jaunty.

I just wish I knew why the 64-bit LiveCD won't work on my Dell XPS 630i (with Core 2 Quad).

Anyway, the 32 bit version is working just fine on both netbook and desktop systems now.

I haven't been able to boot any post-6.06 Live CD on my Q-Force laptop :p

darkksyde
October 30th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I'm alot happier than i was for ubuntu 9.04 because i am able to install a 64bit kernel now without having frequent lockups but I wish amd would fix it so unminimize and maximize doesn't take for ages. I'm pretty sure these problems are all related to amd graphics card proprietary drivers

days_of_ruin
October 30th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Definitely one of the best releases for me.

Megrimn
October 30th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Installed last night, haven't had much time to diddle with it. It's pretty awesome, save my custom GDM doesn't work with it.

chucky chuckaluck
October 30th, 2009, 05:02 PM
hasn't been twelve hours yet, but i like it so far (kubuntu). seems pretty zippy with ext4.

note32
October 30th, 2009, 05:12 PM
and they don't even bother to search for resolution on this forum and just creating new posts over and over again :(

Coming back to main question of this post which is "Anybody happy with karmic?" I can say that I quite like the new Ubuntu 9.10 but personally for me its same old Ubunut with some funky fueters like Ubuntu Software Centre etc. Not much change in terms of drivers issues or improvement.

Cheers

pi4r0n

yea some people just don't have patience

Diofan
October 30th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I did the upgrade last night. So far no complaints

Странник
October 30th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Microphone and card reader still doesn't work ;(

sudoer541
October 30th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Minor problems here and there.

lyceum
October 30th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I have been very disappointed with the last few releases, but 9.10 seems like the first step in a better direction. I upgraded from 9.04 and my only complaint is the new log-in screen. I feel like Ubuntu has finally entered the market for real by adding alt wallpapers. Ubuntu has been a solid distro for a few years IMHO, but it looks like they are finally taking the marketing seriously. This was the easiest upgrade I have done to date.

mousestalker
October 30th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Upgraded from 9.04 (64 bit). Only one issue. but since it impacts my work it's looms large for me. Somehow in the upgrade Java semi-broke and now certain pages won't display. About half the time the browser freezes. Not really sure what happened, but am running it down.
It also seems to boot a bit slower, not a lot, just a bit.

I'm not happy with it, but that's due to java breaking and not really seeing much in the way of improvements.

MasterNetra
October 30th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I have no real issues, my beef atm is with the close lid aspect not displaying a blank screen...well it did once then stopped...hmm it didn't after the Video Intel updates..amongest other updates I wonder if one of those broke it...

Had this problem with Jaunty as well. So not a Karmic only issue.

SomeGuyDude
October 30th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I'm impressed. Usually by this time the forum is SLAMMED with "OMG THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER."

jbcfarina
October 30th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Yep, I'm very happy with it in my Asus 1005h (except the internal mic xD), I have to try it on my LG R500.

PD:It's the first time I leave the icons as it comes, I'm very impressed, but I've change the xplsah background :smile:.

j.bell730
October 30th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I upgraded from RC. I've had very little trouble, and all of my hardware components work, most of them OOTB. Best release yet IMO.

virusiidx
October 30th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I gotta say, the installation didn't go so well for me. I did a fresh install, but it took 3x to get it right. Some components seemed to not install correctly and grub2 couldn't boot into my login. Maybe it was a bad copy, not sure. But after the 3rd attempt, it seemed to have installed fine. I'll be optimistic and blame it on a bad copy. :P

First thing I jumped to was the software center to install my usual software and nvidia drivers. Honestly, I wasn't too impressed. On my 1st installation, there was no install button for any software I wanted to install, it was just hidden or not there, even after running apt-get update. On the 2nd installation, each program would either get stuck at 3% or throw an error message that I already have the program installed, which I didn't. On the 3rd (last) installation, it was just way to slow to install anything using the software center, even after changing the repository server to a faster one.

Another thing to mention about the Software Center is that I miss being able to sort things by the popularity, unless I'm missing something? So I'm just using Synaptic Package Manager to install stuff, which works flawlessly and I'm able to get speeds up to 1MBps.

So overall, the initial install was a bit of a pain, but I got things working. I got all my programs installed again and my nvidia display working great. Just can't really use the software center, but it's okay. I know Karmic just released yesterday, so I'm not going to judge it by my initial installation. I'm sure the little tweaks and updates will help fix some of the common issues in time.

So yes, I'm happy with Karmic, once I got past those problems above. :P

dearingj
October 30th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I've been using Karmic on some of my computers since alpha 3; now that the release is out I'm upgrading the rest too. Everything I've tested so far works at least as well as it did in 9.04, and the speed improvement due to using ext4 is noticeable.

Amazona aestiva
October 30th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Well, I am!

Everything works and loads faster. Firefox 3.5 works like a charm too, with finally fully functional 64bit flash. Compiz bug got fixed so I can use the newest nVidia driver, etc. etc.

Of course there are a few issues but what os does not have any?

ellalan
October 30th, 2009, 07:38 PM
It's great! I like the colour,fonts, appearance,the whole lot except that I have to do hard shutdown until someone solves the Buffer I/O error on device loop0 logical block.

Stan_1936
October 30th, 2009, 07:38 PM
...but alot of the problems are the same problem just different people

which, from an end user standpoint, could indicate a lack of real progress. If this is really the case, then I must say that it is quite worrying.

sudoer541
October 30th, 2009, 07:47 PM
my experience was not bad. I cant select any text on firefox and openoffice as well as I can play any audio or video file when I double click on it on banshee or other players. I cant open files in nautilus as well. My only solution is to press enter on my keyboard for every mouse click. Isn't it annoying? Its weird, I installed ubuntu tweak and I changed the double click option in nautilus to single click and it broke my mouse clcick. It does not work even if I revert back. anyone experiencing this? any suggestions?

ZarathustraDK
October 30th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Installing right now (writing from live-cd-install session).

Did the "Create live-usb"-thing. First run it didn't go so well, on my second run now. I think it's because the process hung at "Configuring APT", then I hit the "Skip"-button a couple of times because it didn't seem to respond. Unfortunately I skipped past something important, GRUB2-install I think.

:popcorn: Oh well, it still hung on APT-configuration. Pressed skip once.

:O 25 minutes for language-packs! Screw that *skips*

"Configuring hardware" hmmm... better not skip that one...

Updating Grub...

And DONE. Wish me luck *reboots*

Starlight
October 30th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I'm using Kubuntu Karmic and I'm quite happy with it. :) I love the Ayatana notifications for KDE :D

waj1122
October 30th, 2009, 08:38 PM
So far I am very pleased with the 9.10 release. I've been using Xubuntu the last couple of releases and this by far is the best version. Everything actually worked out of the box on this laptop (Toshiba Satellite). There are a few things I don't like but they are minor. Firefox, for one, is as responsive on Xubuntu 9.10 as it is in Windows.

MickS
October 30th, 2009, 08:45 PM
It might sound like a criticism but it's not. I upgraded last night and haven't noticed any difference yet.

Mick

magneze
October 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I love it. Much snappier, works with my Bluetooth mouse, nice little touches all the way round. WIN. :KS

TwiceOver
October 30th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Pretty close to being the greatest release I've used. Problems so far:

Laptop brightness keys cause system to freeze when compiz is enabled
Evolution doesn't seem to want to sync my Google Calendar for offline use
My Wifi just crapped out for no reason until I turned it off and on again. Hope this doesn't happen too often.

Velvet_Man
October 30th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I've been using my newly-upgraded Kubuntu Karmic 64-bit for most of the day now and loving it.

I had a hiccup with the upgrade -- slow download, then froze at 98% during the install. But once I got the upgrade going again, it finished fine and everything's been working perfectly.

Things seem to running a little quicker, especially flash video (intel video problems in Jaunty seem to be gone), startup is faster, and I love the Open Office now doesn't look so out of place in KDE.

It would have been nice if that new Software Center thing was included in Kubuntu, that looked pretty cool.

Oh, and a few annoying audio things (random static, etc) seem to have been resolved, too.

entr3p
October 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Im very happy with the upgrade as there are a lot of new things which made me happy about this release. There are numerous improvements, but some really stood out more then others.

If you wish, you can read a post I made on Learning Ubuntu about the 10 things I liked the most about Karmic Koala.

http://www.learningubuntu.com/news/10-things-i-like-about-ubuntu-910

ZarathustraDK
October 30th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Also quite satisfied here. Only strange thing so far is that my speakers (ordinary analog kind) don't work. My USB headset on the other hand works perfectly.

Gotta get used to the new audio-switching thing, but it beats starting up padevchooser manually everytime I want to send the sound somewhere else.

nikef
October 30th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Well i have decided not to upgrade because ,there does not seem much of a change,i love the way my ubuntu 9.04 works and looks,its running lovely .
but i was curious i wanted to see the new ubuntu 9.10 so i downloaded it and burned to a disk,i am using it as we speak in live mode , everything seems to be working ok,even the wireless is working .. i don't dislike it , i just prefer my own ubuntu setup :p

Good_Newz
October 30th, 2009, 11:39 PM
So much snappier than 9.04. Love it!!....except for the login screen..what happen to username <tab> password <enter>. So much simpler

Teber
October 30th, 2009, 11:46 PM
installed it this morning. no issues. sound quality is a lot better than it was under previous versions. did not have much time to do much after install: this is a first impression after a cursory glance.

right now i'm just happy, which may well develop into over the moon. many thanks to the dev team.

dsprenkels
October 30th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I like Karmic in almost all the ways, except for the fact that I found the new Gnome background terrifying, (but everyone has his tastes).
Then I am dissapointed about the program Empathy.
It looks like it's just not finished. Pidgin has more features and looks much better. I hoped it would support webcams for MSN.

For the rest: There are many small improvements. (Like: When I hit the 'Music Pause' button on my keyboard. Rythmbox now actually pauses the music.)

Shibblet
October 30th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I like the desktop distribution of Kubuntu x64. It's pretty, and runs fantastic. The PPA system is FRICKIN AMAZING.

However, I cannot get the UNR to install on my MSI Wind. So my Ubuntu mobility sucks. I'd love to get it working though.

kavon89
October 30th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I'm liking it as my media pc's operating system. The set of space pictures which change every so often REALLY needs some refinement. It scares me every time it switches.

RandomJoe
October 30th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Did the "Create live-usb"-thing. First run it didn't go so well, on my second run now. I think it's because the process hung at "Configuring APT", then I hit the "Skip"-button a couple of times because it didn't seem to respond. Unfortunately I skipped past something important, GRUB2-install I think.

Mine did that - I thought it had hung at the Configuring Apt point as well. Sat there a VERY long time, no disk activity. But I was busy doing something else and didn't bother with it. Came back a while later, and it was moving on! I don't know what exactly is done at that point, just figured perhaps it had to do with very busy servers.

I have only installed it on my Eee 1000HE. Unlike many, I never had any real trouble with 9.04 on it. Trying to use the camera caused X to crash for some reason, but I was never that interested in it to figure out why. Now, the camera works fine, although it can't record a video clip (in Cheese) at all - get about one frame per every 10 seconds or so.

SD card reader still doesn't work - on both 9.04 and now /var/log/messages shows the card is detected, the partition is seen, but after that any attempts to mount it, fdisk, or anything else fail as if it's not even there. Again, hadn't needed it so never bothered to figure it out.

Wireless appears to work better. With 9.04 I did sometimes have to select the AP a couple times before it would successfully connect, now it has connected automatically just fine.

Can't say I notice any improvement in boot time, in fact it *feels* longer at this point. Shutdown is definitely fast, though! But with suspend working I probably won't shut down often. I did a bunch of power-saving tweaks to 9.04, and broke suspend (probably the stuff I did in X for video - the system would come back up but the screen stayed off) so I think I'll leave it be now and enjoy having it work right!

This is the first time I have tried Netbook Remix, and it's intriguing. I'll have to use it a while to see if I really like it, but first impression is nice.

faical117
October 31st, 2009, 12:08 AM
(upgrade system 9.40 to 9.10)
I'm very happy with Karmic.
I changed my grub2 screen resolution to 1024*768

:KS

lethalfang
October 31st, 2009, 12:28 AM
I'm a lot happier with Karmic than I was with Jaunty when it came out.
Jaunty's Intel graphics/Xorg problem, ATI drivers problems, and the constant crashing with "Kile" in the repo really pissed me off.

mister_k81
October 31st, 2009, 12:42 AM

Not for me it isn't, start-up is painfully slow for me in Karmic. It takes well over a minute and a half to boot from the Grub menu to the log-in screen. Which is a far cry from the speedy boot times I've gotten with Jaunty.

But apparently, after reading some of the threads in the General Help section, I'm not the only one with this issue. Maybe it's a problem with the Grub 2 beta? Which makes me wonder if I should try to downgrade Grub to an older version... I'm not really sure. But it really kills me now when I have to restart after updates... or if I want to boot out of Ubuntu into Windows, then boot back into Ubuntu again.

Which is a shame... because once I get past the slow boot-up process, Karmic feels nice in snappy for me on the desktop.

macogw
October 31st, 2009, 09:17 PM
Not for me it isn't, start-up is painfully slow for me in Karmic. It takes well over a minute and a half to boot from the Grub menu to the log-in screen. Which is a far cry from the speedy boot times I've gotten with Jaunty.
Any chance your / is really close to full? If so, perhaps fragmentation is the cause and a clean install is in order. My boot went from 15 seconds to 45 seconds in the course of a month from that one time. A dist-upgrade involves enough writes to disk to do it.

I'm really loving Karmic.

scout4536
October 31st, 2009, 09:23 PM
Absolutely loving it!!! Clean install on Dell Mini 10. Once I installed GMA500 video drivers, it worked great. That was the only hiccup I have found so far. But all in all, great distro.

HydroDiOxide
October 31st, 2009, 09:28 PM
I really liked Karmic in my virtualbox. Nice and clean interface and installation was easy as ever. However, the clean install on my laptop (clean because my root partition was too small for an upgrade, somebody please fix that!!) gave me problems with the nvidia drivers, broadcom wireless drivers and intel sound drivers. Somehow the hardware drivers program doesn't work that nice. And I can't get my audio to work properly. I must say Jaunty was much easier on the hardware side... I suppose it's not all about looks afterall.

plasma-engineer
October 31st, 2009, 10:42 PM
Nope - not happy with the downgrade to Karmic at all. Having used ubuntu since 7.10 I think this is the worst version so far. Problems with the live CD (on two machines it fails to boot properly and takes ages about it). Then after an online 'upgrade' from 9.04 I hate the new login screen and actually the whole look of Karmic to be honest. Had to fully reinstall some packages - in particular all the 'fun' of reinstalling MythTV! And then Karmic seems slower and asks stupid questions about other non-existent users being logged on when I shut down. This was the chance to get one over Windows but (I will wash my mouth with soap) Win 7 is definitely an improvement over Vista and Karmic seems to me to be the reverse. :( Pity! I do note that it is new, but all the new versions of Ubuntu that I have used before have been less painful to install.

Jesus_Valdez
October 31st, 2009, 10:47 PM
I'm happy!

Just minor glitches, nothing that a ethernet cable couln't fix.

The "best release vs. worst release" EVAR thing is normal.

plasma-engineer
October 31st, 2009, 10:47 PM
. . . and btw - I'm not a fan of Windows. In fact until this new upgrade, the ONLY reason I still wanted Windows was that Excel is so much better than any other spreadsheet that I have found (and VirtualBox gave me the solution to that). I'm really disappointed by Karmic so far!

andymorton
October 31st, 2009, 10:51 PM
all today all i have been hearing is complaints about how karmic sucks, by the way which it doesn't it just came out so of course theres gonna be some issues with give it some time to settle in

I'm generally very happy with it. There is a few minor things like F-spot not working, for example. But I think it's a major improvement on the previous release.

Turtle.net
October 31st, 2009, 10:54 PM
I don't know yet, I'm busy fixing my PCs :)
That's what I love in upgrades : fixing
Anyway, to install a new distro release in its first days of life you have to be a little bit crazy, and you need to love fixing things ;)

Torrilin
October 31st, 2009, 10:59 PM
Something I've found is not all flash devices are the same. Some SD stuff works, some doesn't. Some USB sticks work, some don't. I ended up installing 9.10 UNR off a microSD card because none of the USB sticks in the house would boot, even tho gparted swore they were bootable. Yep, that means the SD slot in my 1000HE works under Ubuntu. Worked in 9.04 too.

A trick on the 1000HE is in some BIOSes you have to press ESC during boot to get a special USB boot menu, even if you have USB selected for boot.

ticopelp
October 31st, 2009, 11:15 PM
Installed it on my desktop and laptop was quick and painless. It feels snappy and everything works at least as well, if not better, than before. My laptop especially -- the suspend seems to work without any glitches now.

Jerfo
October 31st, 2009, 11:27 PM
Except for the fact that I have issued with my video card (it's an old ati 9200) and can't get the 3D acceleration to work, it's been working like a wonder for me, so I pretty much love it!

scrimple101
November 1st, 2009, 03:12 AM
i did a clean install of 9.10 and as usually the screen resolution didn't work - too low. Anyway i went back to 8.04 because there is an app called "screens and graphics" in usr/share/applications. It is so easy to just pick your type of monitor and type in your desired resolution.

I don't know where this app when too but i surely miss it post 8.04. Does anyone know shere it went to?
Regards, Rob.

autocrosser
November 1st, 2009, 03:32 AM
I've been using Karmic-testing for the last 6 months & am going on to Lucid-testing development--The toolchain is loaded for Lucid & we are just waiting for the UDS to see where we will be focusing effort on this time--The developer fo SUM (Start-up Manager) is working on SUM2 now, so we should see a testing version soon & I hope as soon as it's "stable" that it will be backported to Karmic.

As for the "new" GDM--the current talk is for it's config to be "blended" into the Appearances panel--I'm not sure what that will look like or what it's feature-set will be---I'm hoping we get a good sub-set of the old config....

Sunflower1970
November 1st, 2009, 03:36 AM
I'm installing right now on my desktop. (In the liveCD now posting)

This is the first time a live CD has picked up the correct resolution for me. (1280x1024) Usually I'm stuck at something like 800x600 until I install the nVidia drivers after install.

I'm liking what I'm seeing, so far. Can't wait to get the thing installed, now.

KinKiac
November 1st, 2009, 03:47 AM
well, Im one of the people that have had a seemless upgrade. Of course I didnt do an upgrade, I clean installed on an empty partition and left my 9.04 on another one just in case. I havent had a real chance to look at everything yet but I cant see myself going back to 9.04 at this point. I like the speed of Karmic and am willing to take the time to fix any minor issues that pop up. So far, flash video works, streaming divx works(as good as it did in Jaunty at least) and internet works, as well as Compiz with my nvidia card. Im good to go.

Sunflower1970
November 1st, 2009, 04:58 AM
Ran into a glitch after install with my nVidia video card. It wouldn't get me to a graphical interface, instead just dropped me into a terminal saying it couldn't find the 'nvidia' driver. Tried switching it to 'nv' in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it didn't recognize that either. Finally switched it over to 'vesa' and I was able to get to the desktop. The live CD worked perfectly, but after install is when this ocurred.

Installing the restricted drivers now.

If I was completely new and had that problem, I'd be pretty upset. Luckily I've run into this before, so I knew what to do.

zefew
November 1st, 2009, 05:00 AM
been using Karmic from its beta. i do feel it isn't as robust as i would have liked, but i'm loving it so far overall.

misfitpierce
November 1st, 2009, 05:13 AM
I am happy with it and honestly I am sick of hearing threads knocking against 9.10... If ppl didnt wanna hit bugs and stuff and should have known they would with all the new technologies in this one they should have waited a few months before fresh installing 9.10 or stuck with LTS releases so they wont have to worry about stuff like this. New technologies were pushed out to get everything working before next LTS so next LTS will rock. I said fresh install too because I recommend a fresh install instead of upgrade on this one to make sure GRUB2 activates properly and does not get messed up somehow and to also make sure they get EXT4 new filesystem for HDD which has significant speed increases!
Not saying about this thread... but there are a ton of threads where the ppl think everyone is having problems and they tell all to stay away! I am not having problems so if I listened to them I would be missing out on my 9.10 right now :P I love 9.10 personally!

CorruptedRonin
November 1st, 2009, 07:07 AM
I've got it installed at the moment and I'm liking it. I haven't had any problems yet, and if I come across them I'm not gonna get frustrated. This has been out for what 2 or 3 days now? There's bound to be issues. I might try fresh-installing it though to get ext4 instead of being on an ext3 partition.....

mdsmedia
November 1st, 2009, 07:42 AM
I was silly enough to delete my Jaunty partition, had the disk in the drive to use Gparted, so I reinstalled Jaunty and upgraded to Karmic and it's smooth as silk....so far.

Normally I would have given it time to iron out some bugs before upgrading, and probably would've done a clean install, but figured, if I had problems I could do that anyway.

rudihawk
November 1st, 2009, 07:52 AM
I love it! :)

Khakilang
November 1st, 2009, 08:27 AM
After spending the whole of yesterday and night downloading and installing. I must say I am truly happy with it. So far no glitch of any sort and its still work on my old notebook previously with 9.04. Thinking that all new version will have bloated someway or another like Window. I must say the performance is even better that with 9.04. I am already impress with 9.04 but 9.10 to me is awesome. but I still can't play YouTube with my Totem Movie player although the plugin say so. Anybody knows about it, can help?

DracoJesi
November 1st, 2009, 08:36 AM

I just hope this doesn't reflect badly on Ubuntu

I'm having issues with my mic but it may be the mic itself, it works in Jaunty but barely..... it's a crappy mic....... it's weird that it doesn't work at all in Karmic....... but I'm thinking the new audio settings nay not be sensitive enough... I could barely hear anything in Jaunty and in Karmic it does show it's picking up pitch accurately....

I'm confused but I'm going to try some other other things with the mic port and see what happens...

and we're trying you know, how many of the beta testers are having issues here? sure beta isn't for everybody.... but I think if he had a higher turn out.... we'd get less issues on release day

DracoJesi
November 1st, 2009, 08:38 AM
After spending the whole of yesterday and night downloading and installing. I must say I am truly happy with it. So far no glitch of any sort and its still work on my old notebook previously with 9.04. Thinking that all new version will have bloated someway or another like Window. I must say the performance is even better that with 9.04. I am already impress with 9.04 but 9.10 to me is awesome. but I still can't play YouTube with my Totem Movie player although the plugin say so. Anybody knows about it, can help?

what do you mean play YouTube with Totem? YouTube doesn't use Totem, you need Flash

Khakilang
November 1st, 2009, 08:49 AM
Go to Application> Sound & Video > Movie player. Thats the Totem Movie player that come with 9.10. Click Edit > Plugin and select YouTube. On the right side there is a pull down menu on all plugin and select Youtube. Key in your favourite video and click Find. All the video will be display on the right side of the Window underneath the search result. Click one of the video and the error message comes out saying "GStreamer encountered a general supporting library error". Actually its no big deal I can download YouTube video and watch it offline.

karmic-koala
November 1st, 2009, 08:55 AM
Yes, must say quite happy. Did an upgrade from x64 Jaunty on ext4. Had some issues with flash-nonfree, ended up with a broken package. After faffing about with status in the dpkg folder got this fixed. Internal mic still not supported, but that's not a new issue. Downloaded awesome themes that was good. Boot time must say has upped a bit, not sure if its Grub2 or ext4. I would recommend upgrading to Karmic.

parth115
November 1st, 2009, 10:51 AM

Empathy is now managed by Indicator Applet. The Same thing that handles Evolution. So there should be no Empathy icon in sys tray. check if your indicator applet is working properly or not. Its a mail shaped icon.

p0cky84
November 1st, 2009, 03:37 PM

Here comes the combo breaker...

I'm currently on WinXP pro cause Karmic update from Jaunty messed up my Network card.
Even so; I'm gonna do a clean install later this evening when I get the time... Lets pray and hope that it goes well.

Dark Aspect
November 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM
9.10 works great for me, so far I would say that the 9 series of Ubuntu is much better than 8.04/8.10. I do hope this new trend of stable releases is something that will last. Who knows maybe my hardware support was bad before but 9.04 marks a great step forward for Ubuntu IMO.

Bratmon
November 1st, 2009, 04:16 PM
For me, the upgrade was perfect, and now my sound finally works!

Digikid
November 1st, 2009, 04:35 PM
Not at all. For crying out loud this is supposed to be the Linux that "Just Works" and that is just pure BS. Constant Kernal Crashes.....Sound not working no matter what conf I edit.....Freezes....

I am gong back to Windows 7....at least THAT works as advertised.

Nice try though Ubuntu.

Cardcaptor Stacey
November 1st, 2009, 04:36 PM
I love it! It's much faster waking up and sleeping! :) Only issue I have is PulseAudio is temperamental. :(

awi
November 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM
Love everything but Empathy. IMO is not ready for production stage yet, too buggy. I've read several threads and discussions about Empathy vs. Pidgin, and I think it will be a good change, because of the multimedia comunications capabilities, but I have to disagree with the early pidgin replacement, c'mon it looks horrible and lacks so many options previous default IM program has, What kind of upgrade is that?

autocrosser
November 1st, 2009, 05:17 PM
For anyone that is having problems with sound: http://drowninginbugs.blogspot.com/2009/10/caveats-for-audio-in-910.html And read this: Install linux-backports-modules-alsa-karmic (then reboot)

In mos cases this will "fix" your sound problems.

autocrosser
November 1st, 2009, 05:18 PM
Not at all. For crying out loud this is supposed to be the Linux that "Just Works" and that is just pure BS. Constant Kernal Crashes.....Sound not working no matter what conf I edit.....Freezes....

I am gong back to Windows 7....at least THAT works as advertised.

Nice try though Ubuntu.

Troll-ing :p What about all the people in endless reboot with the Win 7 upgrade? See: http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/102609-windows-7-upgrade-paralyzes-some.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2009-10-26

mister_k81
November 1st, 2009, 05:46 PM
Any chance your / is really close to full? If so, perhaps fragmentation is the cause and a clean install is in order. My boot went from 15 seconds to 45 seconds in the course of a month from that one time. A dist-upgrade involves enough writes to disk to do it.

I'm really loving Karmic.

Nope, I completely reformatted and did a clean install. I also tried reverting back to the older legacy Grub and that didn't really help me either.

But I did find the cause of the problem... Apparently I was getting an ata error (ata2: link is slow to respond, please be patient) that would cause the system to just hang there at start up. I solved it by unplugging both connections from my DVD drives, and plugging them back in again. It was probably just a loose connection?

Other then that, Karmic has been working rather well for me.

DaveHi
November 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM
Have been running Karmic for a month or so on my Desktop, had endless problems with sound with 8.10 and 9.04. No major problems at all. Now fully release have just re-installed with no problems at all.

With my Laptop I have just carried out a clean install over 8.10 and everything is working fine, however I am receiving hard disc failure warnings. Somewhat suspicious of these warnings as tested disc a couple of months ago and came up as being in exceptionally good condition. Possible bug?

Overall, very impressed. =D>

autocrosser
November 1st, 2009, 07:17 PM
Yes--It's a bug.....Look at the (closed) Karmic-Development Forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=359 If you search there, you will find quite a few threads about it & the "fix"

DaveHi
November 1st, 2009, 07:31 PM
Yes--It's a bug.....Look at the (closed) Karmic-Development Forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=359 If you search there, you will find quite a few threads about it & the "fix"

Thanks for that.

Will still finish my backup,just in case! Never intend to keep anything of real value on Laptop, but, well you know!

Marlonsm
November 1st, 2009, 07:39 PM
I really liked it.
Fixed the issue I was having with sound delay in Flash and made everything more responsive. I also moved to KDE and I'm liking it so far...
The only problem I've found is that Suspend is not working, just like in the early days of Jaunty, hopefully it'll get fixed soon. But it's not really important when 40 seconds after hitting the power button Firefox is open.

Zoot7
November 1st, 2009, 08:38 PM
I'm delighted with it! :) I find it much snappier than Jaunty; which was a bit of a disaster for me - had to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.30 to rescue my sound after it was hosed from a kernel update to 2.6.28-15.

The only issue I have is that my inbuilt microphone doesn't work in Skype, I don't really care as I rather a headset anyway.

I'm normally a little leary about upgrading too soon, waited 2 months before going to Gutsy, Hardy or Intrepid, and 4 before going to Jaunty. But since the Beta Karmic was working pretty nicely for me, so I installed it straight away. It's the first release of Ubuntu that I've successfully installed and had work pretty much perfectly on it's launch day. :)

HungryOcopus
November 1st, 2009, 08:46 PM
9.10 is a MASSIVE improvement for me, simply because of the intel graphics thing. All previous versions of ubuntu were slugglish, resource heavy, and ocassionally glitchy for me, but this is like I've just bought a new computer. I've got my wobbly windows and multiple apps and it's all smooth as butter.

ruffwuk
November 1st, 2009, 08:48 PM
I have a Dell Latitude D820 and a Xeon processor desktop and Karmic work like butter for me. The upgrade were long as all hell, but once that happened, both have been working sweetly and moving much faster.
No problems for me.

venator260
November 1st, 2009, 08:58 PM
Works well on my laptop (in sig). This talk of resolved Intel graphics issues makes me anxious to put it on both my parents and my Dell Dimension 3000's. I'd like to show my parents Compiz-Fusion, but they acquired that computer soon after 9.04 came out, so they have had no compiz goodness.

r5ik
November 1st, 2009, 09:01 PM
No problems here like it very much.:D better than 5.10;)
Oh well proceed.

autocrosser
November 1st, 2009, 09:05 PM
5.10???? Seriously--have you been using 5.10!!!!---I was involved with it & we are LIGHTyears ahead.....:D

bluelamp999
November 1st, 2009, 09:12 PM
Extremely happy with it...

Did a clean install on an Ext4 partition. The install was astonishingly quick and everything has just worked.

For the first time in my Ubuntu experience I was easily able to set up my dual monitor/laptop resolutions.

I easily installed the restricted extras using the Software Centre!

Best release so far IMHO.

r5ik
November 1st, 2009, 09:17 PM
-

Magic_Spehar
November 1st, 2009, 09:20 PM
Upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 went very smooth (just a little problem with a local server for the download itself). Oh, and I'm using a very old screen and initially it gave some minor problems at certain resolutions. But generally spoken, I really like Karmic. Thumbs up!

Johnsie
November 1st, 2009, 09:21 PM
I'm not impressed my the sound mixer. There appears to be no window with multiple volume sliders. This is not good for recording.

Another Monkey
November 1st, 2009, 09:46 PM
Upgrade on an Intel chipset box seems to have improved video, but some crashes (landscape-sysinfo).
Clean install with ext4 onto an a lappy with an ATI card is proving very problematic; poor sound, video performance is terrible, you can forget Compiz and the lappy freezes. The lappy was rock-solid under Jaunty, I think something has gone a bit wrong with the ATI drivers....

I know it's early days, but I think all the hype has set expectations way too high. The media has been rammed with "Best ever Linux!" type stories and that will have tempted plenty of new users...and I'm sorry to say that I think quite a few will struggle.

That's not to say that I'm terribly unhappy with Karmic. It's just that Ubuntu always seems so close to being something great and just fails to get there. And that feeling of disappointment leads to frustration etc.

PuddingKnife
November 1st, 2009, 09:52 PM
I love it. Been using Ubuntu since 8.04 and this is my favourite version yet.

Cheers to the Karmic team, you've got a very solid distro and a happy user.

:)

vrkalak
November 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM
I like Karmic 9.10 very much!!

With Ubuntu, I updated/upgraded my 9.04, since 9.10 Alpha 2 ... up through the Alpha releases, and Beta and RC and am using the Final Karmic upgrade. Great Final Distro release.

With my Xubuntu ... I downloaded the new Karmic 9.10 via Torrent.

I am very impressed with Xubuntu Karmic . . . works great!! :p

ZankerH
November 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM
I've been using Karmic since alpha 5. Following the development progress closely, I've gained a whole new appreciation for the kind of work that goes into a release like this. Overall, my experience switching from Jaunty and Arch has been more or less smooth.

Johnsie
November 1st, 2009, 10:02 PM
it's ugly and alot of the apps are badly designed.

PartisanEntity
November 1st, 2009, 10:02 PM
Yes very happy. Upgraded without any problems. All seems fine so far.

speedwell68
November 1st, 2009, 10:11 PM
Yes, I am very happy with Karmic.

DonaldJ
November 1st, 2009, 10:26 PM
HeY! U- 910 works pretty good.. I likes it better than 904 and Mint...

It has its glitches... Give it some time.. It's NEW...

Really what the complainers could do, is help the system solve those piddly little irritating glitches.. That's what "Community" is all about...
You are getting lovely maintained state of the art OS's for Absolutely FREE to "steal".. So do a little effort to help the project evolve and succeed, (in putting windows in its grave)...

I've stumbled upon a few irritating little U-910 glitches too... But I don't know how to repair them..? All I can do is post them as I stumble upon them...

Like: 1.. The, "scroll to top and bottom" feature, in "Files" doesn't work with dragged jpg-pix..?

2.. Gimp is a little slow deleting a pix..?

3.. After exploring a few desktop backgrounds, five rows of three each blue 1/8" squares, remain on bottom of screen, till reboot...

4.. Admin>Sound-volume always reads 100%.. and this keyed line won't type in just one straight line till I hit enter..?

5.. Background "frog in the hand".jpg, is really "a toad", unless "mice are sparrows"...

6.. It seems I got hack attacked, after I upset a few major Amero-Intels..? The last edited-pix in a series of twenty minimal-edits wouldn't Gimp-save, plus Gimp deleted pix extremely slowly...
So I rebooted, and got a pop-up "no operating system detected"..
So I removed that hd, and installed one of the drawer-full of hd's, booted-up.. It detected the new hd, and booted.. I shut-down, and reinstalled the original unresponsive-hd.. It detected the hd, and booted into 910 like it should... I suppose the hack-hit got into the bios, changing the hardware's data-codes.. so as far as the OS was concerned there was no hd, nor OS...
I wonders why it didn't pop-up that it "couldn't find a hd"..? unless that's not written into 910 yet..? Or not finding an OS means "it couldn't find a hd"..?

There are glitches in every new computer-package... You live with it.. OR you do something to help fix it.. Or you fall to the floor, feet kicking, arms a flailing, whilst screaming loud-sounds in "classic full blown episode psychotic-tantrum"... Or you could dump-Linux, and fall back down to Windows.. WhooH! "Shiver me timbers", that would be a terrible nightmare for sure.. Even just thinking on it makes me "shudder and tremble, and want to find a little-place to hide, to be curled-up in fetal-posture far-away from Windows"...

Bottom line: If U-910 has problems.. work with the system to help eliminate them... This Ubuntu stuff really works its best when everyone is striving to make it be "the best of the best".. So Instead of complaining and bad-mouthing it.. be thankful, and humilified, that it's Good, and it's Free... Where else in life do you find any "good & free"..?

I like U-910 over Mint and U-904, but there are exploitable security-holes in U-910..

I'm disappointed that we still don't have the desktop customizing-option to default background-pix to the sides of the screen...

And the screensaver slide-show doesn't work with the jpg pix files...
And the very worst of it all.. IEeeeeee! "Zilop" has totally vanished.. "oh boohoo".. I bet someone, overly stimulated, saw imaginative something or other in Zylop which frightened them, so we're being protected and chaperoned from being scared too..? ("lovingly-airbagged")...

910 starts, and shuts-down, a lot faster... And that boot splash is glorious.. It helps the OP to relax... Someone in Ubuntu or Conical is sure a-firin' on all many thrusters...

I wonders how many total collective-hours, and overall dollars expense it took to make 910 boot and shutdown just that little bit faster..?

Ric_NYC
November 1st, 2009, 10:54 PM
I'm happy.
The only thing I don't like is the slow boot.

skippi90
November 1st, 2009, 10:57 PM
I'm loving it. I guess as Ubuntu gets more popular, it's only normal to see an increase in complaints/problems.

Pantcon1
November 1st, 2009, 11:10 PM
Not yet, not fully. My 'koala' has misbehaved :( and I'm still battling to sort him out. I should have left the creature in the pet shop until he was a bit older.

spike_naples
November 2nd, 2009, 11:25 AM
I upgraded via upgrade manager and I like it.

note32
November 2nd, 2009, 04:21 PM
I really liked it.
Fixed the issue I was having with sound delay in Flash and made everything more responsive. I also moved to KDE and I'm liking it so far...
The only problem I've found is that Suspend is not working, just like in the early days of Jaunty, hopefully it'll get fixed soon. But it's not really important when 40 seconds after hitting the power button Firefox is open.

yea ubuntu UNR is really awesome:D, but everything works out of the box on my machine

mexicanganster
November 2nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
i updated to ubuntu just yesterday and it fixed some of the problems i had on ubuntu 9.04. so far it been great

the fix it man
November 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Not one issue here in Koala. (Gnome)

Best Ubuntu release ever.

johnjust
November 2nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
My upgrade from Jaunty went wrong somewhere and my laptop wouldn't boot up :(

But, I used the old laptop with Linux Mint 7 to download/burn the 9.10 disk, and just did a fresh install. I lost all my programs and such, but that's no big deal to me. Once I got my nvidia driver installed, it took about 2 hours to get all my programs/settings back.

Runs fantastic now, I second the "best release" ever point. I've been with Ubuntu since Feisty, the new theme really polishes it off nicely. WoW is running smoother than ever (definitely notice a difference in Dalaran, not sure if that's related or not, but it's there), and Amarok 2.2 finally made me switch from 1.4 (got a little tired of not being able to change where the album art is looked up...).

Jaunty had a lot of little weird things going on, none of which are present in Karmic, and the boot/shutdown times are great (boot might be a little slower, but shutting down in Jaunty gave me a white screen for a couple seconds, and sometimes would never fully shutdown, I'd have to hold the power button).

Did I mention how nice the theme is?

magmon
November 2nd, 2009, 05:47 PM
I liked it for the first day or so, but after that my desktop effects could no longer be enabled. I lost 3d in jaunty, but this was the final straw. Back to 8.04, or maybe even windows...

mamamia88
November 2nd, 2009, 06:06 PM
i love it my biggest issue with ubuntu in the past flash works great. but then again this is the first time i've used 64 bit

bubbles99
November 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
I liked it for the first day or so, but after that my desktop effects could no longer be enabled. I lost 3d in jaunty, but this was the final straw. Back to 8.04, or maybe even windows...
NOOO!!! dont ever mention the dreaded MS!! the reason 9.10 isn't so great is that the next version, Lucid Lynx, is an LTS. If they test all the new stuff for bugs now, then there will be fewer problems with Lucid. this will mean fewer headaches and recalls when people do mass installs on big systems. anyway, *most* problems should be fixed within a month or two, just give it some time!

slumbergod
November 2nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
Well, I did a clean install (i.e. not an upgrade) and I am not enjoying Karmic. I thought Jaunty was a dog and I hoped Karmic would be an improvement. In some areas it is...but then something else breaks.

Gee, maybe one week of beta testing really isn't enough. Maybe one release a year is more sensible. I get tired of all the fanboys here saying don't bash something that is free...well, the fact is that Canonical are pushing releases out the door faster than they can ensure they are bug free. This is not helping Linux! How about rather than making surface polish, they actually direct the effort towards creating a stable, solid platform.

I'll never go back to Windows, but if this mess isn't sorted out I will try OpenSUSE again...or maybe just buy a Mac like many of my other developer friends.

m4tic
November 2nd, 2009, 07:02 PM
My computer is not connected to the net most of the time. So just now just installed 9.10 on vbox and i don't think i will replace jaunty, maybe dual boot them but i really don't see myself spending time with 9.10. I don't know who they asked for ideas but they really are disapointing to me. I had to learn ubuntu from 8.10 and really i don't have to learn this one. Jaunty is by far the easiest for me. I know i just need time but it really is stupid. Grub 2 is totally different from the previous, nothing wrong but grub 1 worked. They shouldn't have made it default but just made it optional for people who need it. I most of the time used to log in as root, it was easy to setup but now after 3days i'm still puzzled. I have my reasons for not using sudo all the time and i am responsible, it is my computer after all.

Is there any documentation where they listed where everything is misplaced? It really is annoying. An upgrade shouldn't be this different
And how can i get add/remove programs interface like it was on jaunty?

BackwardsDown
November 2nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
I'm enjoying Karmic :p . Works perfect.

rosswmcgee
November 2nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
Any 422536 bugs in clean install? If not I will do a clean install to get rid of the bug. Although that is my only prolem.

BigSilly
November 2nd, 2009, 08:00 PM
I'm enjoying Karmic :p . Works perfect.

Me too. I think either I'm doing something wrong, or everyone else is talking about another distro. :D

Loving it.

Dougie187
November 2nd, 2009, 08:05 PM
Me too. I think either I'm doing something wrong, or everyone else is talking about another distro. :D

Loving it.

+1, though the people who it doesn't work for should probably just push back to LTS and not worry about it until the next release.

m4tic
November 2nd, 2009, 08:06 PM
I think they were listening to windows users a lot. It seems features are getting hidden in 9.10

samh785
November 2nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
In jaunty, I remember that my biggest issue with it was that when I was browsing the web in firefox, I would move my mouse to the edge of the screen and it would stop scrolling the web page. Now this is fixed in Karmic, and I couldn't be happier. (I don't have any other problems really)

FiveSidedPoly
November 2nd, 2009, 11:00 PM
I have not had any real issues so far, I've installed it on my Dell Inspiron and my self built desktop without issues at all, after that I created two bootable thumbdrives for friends without any issues too.

Things that I'm not excited about, but can live with:

I don't see the point of the new software center, it looks pretty, but the Synaptic Package Manager is more useful still.

I think they should have added GParted, it's not a large tool, and it is very useful.

I still think they need to either allow users to remove some of the pre-installed games while keeping the ones they want, I really have no need for Connect Four, Nibbles, Robots, etc, etc. But would like to keep Chess, Gnometrics, and Mahjongg. Linux is about freedom, so why can't I choose to uninstall some without unistalling them all? Maybe the Gnome package isn't worth the trouble.

But overall I am very happy with Karmic! :p

m4tic
November 3rd, 2009, 01:59 AM
I take back everything i said, Its working good. Its now 3am and im still experimenting. Ubuntu One setup in 5minutes including tomboy sync, now i think they should remove the beta sign

b00ka
November 3rd, 2009, 02:10 AM
I must say, that initially I was worried.... Had some issues with sound, skype (video) and network. But after taking a breathe and using the fantastic resources in this forum, I have all of the issues fixed.

I am using my laptop, which is Acer Extensa 5620Z (yes, the one with the intel gma x3100 graphics) and I must say that I am really happy with the performance of Karmic, on my machine.

I am slowly converting everyone that sees it to the world of Ubuntu !! :)

No doubt there will be other issues that I find along the way, but that's the joy of computers, and why I love ubuntu (linux) so much. The issues can be fixed, not just put up with.

I had much less issues upgrading from 8.10 to 9.10 than I ever did with upgrading any of the micro$oft products..

Anyway - that's my 2 cents worth..

weasel fierce
November 3rd, 2009, 03:31 AM
Its worked flawlessly for me so far.

pkjm17
November 3rd, 2009, 03:38 AM
since i upgraded to karmic the network manager applet disappeared from my panel. So now I can't switch between wifi and wired connection. It uses wifi by default. How do I get the Network Manager tool back, so I can use my Ethernet?

rip_it
November 3rd, 2009, 04:01 AM
Im pretty happy.
- Like how the wired/wireless manager displays adapters. User friendly.
- Like the Ubuntu software center, clean.
- Found my wireless USB network adapter instantly. Jaunty never did.
- New install went smooth. Appearance good. for Sole operating system.
- kmail is good.
- Recognizes all usb drives/all drives good.

Have gripes though.
- Printer Drivers lack expecially for Dell.
- Remote Desktop program crashes alot. Have gotten it to work once, second and third time it won't allow me to have an outside ip to connect to. Reverts to localhost.
- Grub 2 Fails with Windows 7. Don't Dualboot with 9.10 yet.
- Wine failed to open windows programs 6 out of the 7 times I tried.
Probably a Wine problem, not a 9.10 Karmic prob.

missbliss
November 3rd, 2009, 04:21 AM
Once I found out the wireless was a breeze to configure I did a fresh install and am now just running 9.10. I am happy with it, though I cannot seem to run compiz. I also don't know how to sync up my Blackberry, which I've never done in the past, either, though.

Oh, and the install was much faster than with Intrepid Ibex.

plurworldinc
November 3rd, 2009, 04:58 AM
I am very happy with Karmic on my laptop, but my desktop doen't seem to be happy with Karmic ( BLACK SCREEN) I am still trying to get use to the idea I can no longer tweak my sounds and GDK themes, but I know there has to be a way I just to much of a noob to discover it yet.... :lolflag:

jfloydb
November 3rd, 2009, 05:08 AM
Not really. Jaunty worked perfectly for me; Karmic has some niggling problems. Why did I upgrade?: the hype. Why haven't I gone back?: people keep saying that the problems will be fixed in the updates (more hype?).

My question (if I may): do you really think that Karmic's shortcomings will be resolved through the updates?

-jay-
November 3rd, 2009, 05:13 AM
i liked some things in 9.10 but went back to 9.04 until the bugs get fixed

ForestTraveler
November 3rd, 2009, 06:05 AM
I've encountered a couple minor problems, but overall I'm enjoying 9.10. I have faith that the problems will be fixed.

timzak
November 3rd, 2009, 06:27 AM
So far I have a few issues with Karmic but overall it's been a pleasant experience. Issues:

-Don't like that Services is gone. That was where I'd shave my memory footprint by disabling services I don't use.

-They changed Sound Preferences and I can't figure out how to get to all the settings I used to be able to control (like bass and treble) on my Soundblaster Live!.

-They disabled mousewheel control for rotating the desktop cube in Compiz. It took me a while but I figured out how to turn it back on.

-there seems to be a bug in grub2 where if you install onto a drive that grub2 sees as not the first drive (ie, sdb vs. sda), grub will install on the wrong drive and you get a grub error 15. I had to manually fix this and now have some weird error each bootup telling me there's a problem with my swap partition. It doesn't seem to affect the system but I see it each time I boot up. I haven't found a fix for it yet.

-I did not like that there was a constant mail/envelope icon in the Indicator Applet. First I had to disable Evolution and that still did not get rid of it so I finally had to uninstall Empathy as there seemed to be no setting in Empathy that turned the envelope icon off. I don't use Empathy so it was no loss, but annoying that I had to uninstall the app to get rid of the envelope icon.

I'm guessing these will all be fixed so I'm sticking with it. I do like what they've done with the theme, especially the new icon theme and all the new desktop backgrounds.

I don't really care one way or the other about the new Software Center. I always use Synaptic as it has so much more information. I hope they don't get rid of it altogether. It seems like they are dumbing down the interface by taking away configuration options. I'm fine with making it newbie friendly, but leave the other stuff for those who want to roll their sleeves up a little more.

flyking
November 3rd, 2009, 06:39 AM
So far I think Karmic is the best one yet. I really like the GUI improvements, i.e., Ubuntu Software Center. I have two problems that I can't seem to solve yet...I'm unable to Resume from Suspend by using the mouse or keyboard. I have to hit the power button which turns the computer off and then back on again (I'll be real glad when this gets fixed). The other problem is my volume is muted after a restart. This is annoying. Overall I'm very happy.

Denestria
November 3rd, 2009, 07:02 AM
I updated to KDE Karmic months ago during alpha (4?). The only trouble I've had is digikam crashing sometimes and needing to install pavucontrol to handle pulseaudio.

doppis
November 3rd, 2009, 07:05 AM

I did a clean install and all I had to do is a couple tweaks to sound and update a few drivers and it's working great. There is always going to be people unhappy :(

GoHabsGo
November 3rd, 2009, 07:07 AM
Hey guys, just curious, usually when is the first bug fix release due?

SunnyRabbiera
November 3rd, 2009, 07:26 AM
Karmic is smooth, and works better then Jaunty on my machine.
But I am trying out other distros too

-jay-
November 3rd, 2009, 08:13 AM
So far I have a few issues with Karmic but overall it's been a pleasant experience. Issues:

-Don't like that Services is gone. That was where I'd shave my memory footprint by disabling services I don't use.

-They changed Sound Preferences and I can't figure out how to get to all the settings I used to be able to control (like bass and treble) on my Soundblaster Live!.

-They disabled mousewheel control for rotating the desktop cube in Compiz. It took me a while but I figured out how to turn it back on.

-there seems to be a bug in grub2 where if you install onto a drive that grub2 sees as not the first drive (ie, sdb vs. sda), grub will install on the wrong drive and you get a grub error 15. I had to manually fix this and now have some weird error each bootup telling me there's a problem with my swap partition. It doesn't seem to affect the system but I see it each time I boot up. I haven't found a fix for it yet.

-I did not like that there was a constant mail/envelope icon in the Indicator Applet. First I had to disable Evolution and that still did not get rid of it so I finally had to uninstall Empathy as there seemed to be no setting in Empathy that turned the envelope icon off. I don't use Empathy so it was no loss, but annoying that I had to uninstall the app to get rid of the envelope icon.

I'm guessing these will all be fixed so I'm sticking with it. I do like what they've done with the theme, especially the new icon theme and all the new desktop backgrounds.

I don't really care one way or the other about the new Software Center. I always use Synaptic as it has so much more information. I hope they don't get rid of it altogether. It seems like they are dumbing down the interface by taking away configuration options. I'm fine with making it newbie friendly, but leave the other stuff for those who want to roll their sleeves up a little more.

same here also you cant change your login screen

pkrakesh
November 3rd, 2009, 08:18 AM
Karmic is not working in my compaq machine.

whitefort
November 3rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
it seems like everyone only has problems when they upgrade, but everyone else who did a fresh install likes it

'Fraid not. I always do fresh installs.

Every 9 months (since Dapper Drake) I put the new Ubuntu on all my machines.
OK, there are always a *few* problems to be fixed, but generally everything works out-of-the-box.

But last night I made the decision to re-install Jaunty on all but two of my machines (I'll keep them for experimentation to see if I can get things working). The number of things that just *don't* work (for me, anyway!) is unlike anything I've seen on any previous Ubuntu. And that's across a range of 4 PCs, 1 Laptop,and 2 netbooks. Long bootup times, wireless problems, graphics problems - all on machines, old and new, that have NEVER had problems with ubuntu...

I'm not writing this to 'knock' Karmic. I can see that it's great for a lot of people. But no, I'm FAR from happy with it.

Also, it's a minor and personal point, but I think the login screen for Karmic looks muddy and amateurish compared to the crisp, professional-looking Jaunty login screen. It makes me cringe every time I see it. And Karmic doesn't even give the option to change it.

matthew.ball
November 3rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
I didn't read the thread, sorry, just wanted to post my experiences first (kind of frustrated)..

So, I first installed a vanilla Karmic beta the afternoon it was released (a few weeks back?), I was a bit nervous, beta etc.

Anyway, worked perfect, best version of Ubuntu for me (everything works!), I went away for the weekend, get back and decide Karmic's been out for a few days, why not run the update.. Bad choice :(

So, the installation dies during the unpackaging process, which is pretty bad I guess judging from the responses, the first time I believe the nvidia drivers died during upgrade, the whole screen just started flashing sporadically before X died. Then the whole system died, when I tried to log back in the keyboard response was terrible, I could barely type in the user name, let alone guess if I had typed in the password (and the screen continued to flash? Not nvidia related :().

I re-installed Karmic beta thinking I may have done something different since last installation, after installation ran the upgrade, but again it died during the update process, and just silently died (it just killed X while during the upgrade process), returning to the previous behaviour (though the screen wasn't flashing). The first time I did this, I just ran an upgrade ignoring the available partial upgrade, I re-installed and ran the upgrade again using a partial upgrade, but same results :(

So, after 2 re-installs, I just re-installed the beta, and set up everything exactly as I had before, I have 544 updates waiting. Don't think I will try that again for a while :)

I am really surprised at how nice the beta is, it hasn't crashed or anything in the few weeks I've been using it, and after today I am a whole lot more comfortable deleting and re-installing Ubuntu (I was worried about partitions, but gparted makes them easy), I'll wait a few weeks and try the upgrade again, if I have to re-install that's fine, right now I'm a bit busy with school though, so I didn't appreciate losing the day. Oh well. I just wanted to rant.

kaspin
November 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
None of the versions above 8.4 works on my ASUS a6000. The display is illegible 9 times out of 10 when you boot (graphics card SIS M661). On the same machine, 8.4 installs and works perfectly. On another forum I see that I'm not alone, and that other makes of PC are similarly affected. Can't understand what they screwed up between 8.4 and 8.10............Kaspin

jfloydb
November 5th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Well... I re-installed Jaunty and reconfigured my preferences. Everything is (again) working great. I guess I'll wait for 10.04 and give it another try. In the meantime I'll stick with what "just works"...

fiklein
November 5th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I got a new laptop and used WUBI to dual boot with Windows 7. I have previously set up a desktop with Ibex and 2 laptops with Jaunty. I had to do the Vista compatibility mode thing to get WUBI to work, and had no trouble with that. After about 4 days of struggling with Jaunty and not getting wireless on the new laptop, I upgraded to Karmic. My Atheros card was supported immediately with no modifications. The only thing I had to tweak was getting the non-free Flash player through Synaptic. One complaint that seems pretty common is getting a shutdown bug. It goes to a text screen, says it has shut down swap files, and ends up with a buffer error and something about an I/O loop. I have been doing a hard shutdown after walking away and finding the same screen 10 minutes later. So far, nothing is getting corrupted, but I do wish this would get fixed.

kaspin
November 5th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks to an entry in the French Ubuntu forum, I was able to solve the display problem on the Asus a6000 (sis M661 graphics) mentioned above. So, until further notice, I'm happy with 9.10.....Kaspin

Noo 2 Ubuntoo
November 5th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Yes, following upgrade, problems with network manager failing to detect my router (which Jaunty & Intrepid had no problem with).

Even now it tells me I'm disconnected when I'm connected and seems to sometimes think I'm on a wireless connection (I use the wired ethernet connection on the router).Loss of new mail notification in Evolution due to a missing package and some code not being updated to reflect the mail notification script has to look for Evolution 2.28.

And I'm only a superficial user with no developer/tester/person who wants to fiddle with the system aspirations.

I kept thinking of the Ubuntu strap line - it "just works", unfortunately, in this case, it just didn't work.

I was surprised at how long it takes to boot up too - a lot longer than Jaunty and Intrepid, but I understood that one of the claims of Karmic was a much faster boot time, whats that all about?

regomodo
November 5th, 2009, 11:21 PM
#

ratcheer
November 5th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I upgraded from jaunty to karmic about 5 days ago. I had a few problems, but they are mostly worked out, now. I like Karmic pretty well.

Tim

Redundant Username
November 5th, 2009, 11:27 PM
If I could login with normally with out gnome failsafe and I could get my wireless working, I'd be happy.

wmcbrine
November 6th, 2009, 01:49 AM
If I could login with normally with out gnome failsafeCheck out my thread here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305693

amazingtaters
November 6th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I'm loving Karmic so far. My only problem is that msttcorefonts isn't working. Oh and that Banshee isn't synching with my iPod. But I'm sure it will all be worked out, so I'm very happy with karmic.

Andrej_BB
November 6th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I have only had minor issues with skype, but so far i have upgraded two machines from 9.04 to 9.10 without problems.
It is true, however, that both machines had intel's graphics card.

SKLP
November 6th, 2009, 08:51 AM
It's the best ubuntu EVAR!

jalm111
November 6th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Ugh. Great.

Did the upgrade. No sound, video is messed up (colors all wrong)... way to downgrade me ubuntu :( Going back to the previous version yet again.

ZankerH
November 6th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Upgraded from the RC, no major issues.

Although, to be honest, I did keep pidgin, etx3 and the old grub. And I don't use pulse audio. Some change is ok, but karmic is really pushing it.

Bezmotivnik
November 6th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Did two clean installs on two different machines with -- apparently -- no serious problems yet, but time will tell.

My demands are low; they're really my fourth- and fifth-string machines used for nothing but online stuff.

[shrug]

Teber
November 6th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I'm loving Karmic so far. My only problem is that msttcorefonts isn't working. Oh and that Banshee isn't synching with my iPod. But I'm sure it will all be worked out, so I'm very happy with karmic.

msttcorefonts are included in ubuntu restricted extras, which may be found in software center/others. they work just fine over here.

don't know about banshee.

TDFZ
November 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I liked Jaunty better. It booted faster on my machine and crontab wasn't a pain to set up. I did a fresh install also but not very happy.

Something weird that just came to mind. For some reason since Gutsy I've only been happy with every other release. Until now its like it skipped a release.

Liked Gutsy
Not Hardy
Liked Intrepid
Liked Jaunty
Not Karmic

Maybe I love the next one. Im sure there are some people that agree and some exact opposite. Just thought it was weird.

Teber
November 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I liked Jaunty better. It booted faster on my machine and crontab wasn't a pain to set up. I did a fresh install also but not very happy.

Something weird that just came to mind. For some reason since Gutsy I've only been happy with every other release. Until now its like it skipped a release.

Liked Gutsy
Not Hardy
Liked Intrepid
Liked Jaunty
Not Karmic

Maybe I love the next one. Im sure there are some people that agree and some exact opposite. Just thought it was weird.

now those are arguments for an opinion i can respect! as you would seem to be happy with what you've got: carry on me friend!

kevin2849
November 6th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Yes. I upgraded two computers during Alpha 6 and had very few issues. Beta on has been very usable for me and it is my primary operating system. It boots slower on my older desktop than jaunty did but is pretty fast on the laptops.

Nick Rhodes
November 6th, 2009, 05:14 PM
One machine, my main laptop has an 8 out of 10 out of the box satisfaction rating (one bug that I've fixed myself and a few tweaks to bad defaults).
Other machine, a netbook is a 3 out of 10 out of the box rating. Unusable without some major fiddling due to a major brightness control bug (makes screen flicker all the time).

Both machines worked well in Jaunty, minus the slow intel drivers.

Cheers Nick.

Paqman
November 6th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I'm very happy with Karmic. My main machine I installed from scratch about Alpha 4 or 5, my laptop I installed the RC from scratch, and my media centre I updated after release. All are working perfectly.

Wobblybob
November 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Yep, I'm loving it, it's installed on my lappy and a desktop so far. I have my home on a seperate partition so do a clean install on the root and then have a script to download my fav progs so have no upgrade problems. I've had no major problems except my usb pen would not auto-mount. I also hate the notification icons for wireless, sound and shutdown but I've fixed that. I also fixed the usb pen issue by enabling the proposed updates, looking for the udev update, installing it then un-enabling the proposed updates all works fine now. I'm still testing but so far, I'm very happy.

automaton26
November 8th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I love it - loads of things are so much better than Jaunty (and I dare to use the Kubuntu x64 version).

Even my main gripe (the duff notification system) has already been fixed - thanks ppl!!

Eagles18
November 8th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I've been using it since it came out and I'm loving it.Even the Internet is better than before.On 9.04,I even had trouble getting Youtube videos to load.

saftaplan
November 9th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I upgraded 7 computers to Karmic, all of them on very different hardware. 5 of them were 64-bit installations. It all went flawlessly.

The only thing I had to do after an upgrade was to run Language Support because some apps weren't translated anymore.

I love the new look and all the details that have been changed. The support for annotations in PDF, Empathy, the improved notifications and notifier applet, the new sound tool, ... There hasn't been a single problem or regression here.

nevaeh
November 9th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I'm quite happy with Karmic. Of course I have never used Linux before XP so I can't really compare between the other distros!
umm
Good job Ubuntu!

=D>

MusJet
November 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I made install from zero and is more fast, icons look more nice, but exist bugs.

Very Bad is ext4 (default install) do not works 100%, better use ext3 like default. For sure that ext4 is more fast than ext3 but not stable yet.
Ext4 has problems with large files and others bugs. Who want one harddisk with manager partition problem and got one crash and lost many things ?

Also I cant get success to work my webcam, its a very compatible linux webcam Samsung Pleomax. At 9.04, webcam works pretty nice with amsn, cheese, skype.

The "suspend mode" is not working correctly, making notice of critical error icon in bar. Nowadays, suspend mode is very important (mandatory) because reduce significative % of energy.

I made downgrade to 9.04 and I will wait more 4 months.

Cheers,

Musjet

bigbrovar
November 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Kubuntu Karmic beside a slight deep in performance for Intel 965 (which is an upstream problem) all is fine here. Loving every minute of it :D

geordie12
November 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Hi,

Fresh install, everything just worked. I love it

Regards

geordie

pookiebear
November 9th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I was doing well until a reboot sat, when my 3d disabled itself. And could not be re-enabled. I loaded LTS 64 bit back on here. The only thing that doesn't work on the LTS is bluetooth for my notebook needs a bunch of tweaks/scripts to work. So far the LTS is faster for me too.

juliobahar
November 9th, 2009, 04:20 PM
So far, I liked 9.04 the best.

same with me I loved Jaunty more. Absolutely flawless. Karmic has issue with sound besides Totem and Rhythmbox are stumbling necessitating force quit.

Firefox also has a lot of issue with online streaming that weren't there before upgrading from Jaunty.

The really true yet I might say near perfect fix in Karmic is its bluetooth support.

x3roconf
November 9th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I'm happy with karmic. :D

free2talk.183
November 9th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I did a fresh install and was very happy that it went smooth !
Earlier my wireless card & sound were not working but now they work out of the box ! Just one bug for me , brightness keys , eject key , wifi/bluetooth key dont work !!!!

I am using ubuntu 9.10 64 bit on dell studio 1555

~unknown
November 9th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I am. I made a clean install, and I only have minor problems with partition mounting (other hdd does not automatically mount on startup), DVB-T and games, but everything else works. :D

scouser73
November 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I'm loving it also, I did a fresh reinstall after I was annoyed at the boot time performance but that's not actually a worry or a bug for me.

Karmic is an amazing O/S.

Justbill
November 10th, 2009, 03:40 PM
9.04 was hands down, a LOT better than karmic (I call it manic!)
9.10 seems like a rush job that was haphazardly put together!
So to answer the question.....NOT HAPPY AT ALL!

Fedora 12, in 7 days!

jheaton5
November 10th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I don't think Karmic sucks? I like it. I had no issues doing both a fresh install and two upgrades from 9.04.

I have been surfing the Installation help forum since the release, trying to help and learning from others. It seems to me that most of the problems with a Karmic Install/Ugrade have been people who have come over to Linux from Windows for the first time. We have had many more of Windows users this time around, probably due to all the press on Windows Vista and Windows 7 being broken systems. Many of them used Wubi to install Karmic and had problems. At one point there were 9 threads running simultaneously about issues with a Wubi install. Other problems I see here, and this is a general comment, is that too many noobies try to help other noobies and give bad advice that gets the OP deeper into the mire. So many of those who have come over from Windows to give Linux a try have been frustrated by finding Linux different from Windows. They are quick to form negative opinions and issue the ultimatum, "I'm going back to Windows."

Karmic is a good OS. There is a poll on this forum where 58% of the respondents chose the option of "Perfectly Flawless Install." That's impressive. Of course, this is a help site and most of what we see and read is the negative stuff.

The Funkbomb
November 10th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Now that I've used it for more than 5 minutes, yeah, I rather like it.

Edward The Bonobo
November 10th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I loved it for half an hour - despite the first thing I had to do being to change a bright pink wallpaper that it gave me.

Then half an hour of Karmic bliss until...I started exploring the screensavers. I tried a few out. But when I selected 'Feedback', the whole screen locked up.

So I restarted. I can now play with Ubuntu - unless I leave it idle for five minutes, in which case it goes into the (mythical?) Feedback screensaver and locks me out again.

Fine - these glitches happen. Except this one has been posted on the Forums and nobody has posted a solution. (which, I guess, would be the Terminal command to force ther Scteensaver selection to anything but Feedback).

So, no. I am not loving Karmic. I want to love it - but it won't let me.

ZTiger
November 10th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Karmic has been a mixed bag for me.

My Desktop system at home(9.10 64bit) runs fine. NVidia 8800 GT worked with no problem. comp looks great and performance has been pretty good.

My wifes laptop (9.10 32bit) was running 9.04 and worked great. 9.10 has seen a performance drop in Flash for some reason but otherwise it works.

My work computer (9.10 32bit) runs an ATI X1300 which the open drivers are working but I cannot use compiz with them like I could when the system was running 9.04. I'm hoping AMD will release a new driver that will work with the new kernel. The current driver throws an error when working with 2.6.31-14-generic.

WinterMadness
November 10th, 2009, 05:21 PM
the only problem i have is no matter what setting I change, my volume cant be as loud as it once was.

I mean, its not bad, but you know...

oneof944ubf
November 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM
so far.. easy swich from 9.04
only one problem for me ,
must give this some time to iron out.

very happy so far...
oneof944

technicallygeek
November 10th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I just recently switech from a Vista Business 32bit to 9.10 and am glad I did.

blueshiftoverwatch
November 10th, 2009, 07:48 PM
9.10 worked just fine for me, best release to date.

Flymo
November 11th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Two out of 3 ain't bad.

Already posted the details elsewhere (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8290797&posted=1#post8290797) in this forum, so long story short, Acer Aspire REVO good, Acer Aspire 4315 OK, AMD 240 desktop not so good, until we switched to Xubuntu 910. Go figure?

When it works, we love it! ;)

Ben

Ex0suit
November 11th, 2009, 04:36 AM

I love it, it's just been released so it's going to take some time to fix bugs and what not.

Ex0suit
November 11th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Karmic has been a mixed bag for me.

My Desktop system at home(9.10 64bit) runs fine. NVidia 8800 GT worked with no problem. comp looks great and performance has been pretty good.

My wifes laptop (9.10 32bit) was running 9.04 and worked great. 9.10 has seen a performance drop in Flash for some reason but otherwise it works.

My work computer (9.10 32bit) runs an ATI X1300 which the open drivers are working but I cannot use compiz with them like I could when the system was running 9.04. I'm hoping AMD will release a new driver that will work with the new kernel. The current driver throws an error when working with 2.6.31-14-generic.

That's wierd about flash, when I was using version 9.04 when I full screened flash videos, it would always run slow if I moved my mouse, but since upgrading to version 9.10, that's fixed :/

geekwanabe
November 11th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I love it! I upgraded with no problems and it works flawlessly. It's a lot faster too!

ganeshmallyap
November 11th, 2009, 05:35 AM
I too simply love Ubuntu Karmic. I did 3 installation in past week and each of them went flawless and mindblowing.

darkksyde
November 11th, 2009, 05:45 AM
i dont like how they havn't put the no backfill patch into xorg but it was easily patched

coldReactive
November 11th, 2009, 05:46 AM
On my x64 top notch "average" system? Yes.

On my T41 ThinkPad? Not at all. I put windows back on the thinkpad.

Zuwi
November 11th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Very much so!

Khakilang
November 11th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I know I am. Just do a clean install about 2 week ago and its great.

RabidWeezle
November 11th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I had terrible luck with ubuntu studio rc, but ubuntu final was pretty painless :) Wireless worked out of the box, sound needed 1 line commented out to stop popping, and nvidia was installed with hardware drivers applet. I'm rather satisfied like always with my favorite linux distro. I admit the beta testing stages were a bit of a headache though. And I did have some issues with the crypt system so I just decided not to install it on the 2nd shot.

Compaq cq60-215dx laptop
AMD Athlon X2 64 @ 2 ghz
Nvidia 8200M G (512MB shared)
Nforce chipset
4 gigs of ram

metamatt
November 11th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I didn't exactly have a seamless upgrade, but the glitches that arose (mainly hardware issues) were due to small problems that could easily be fixed (I had some specific arrangements that didn't carry over automatically). When I first booted up, I freaked out - what a piece of crap, why won't it work, etc. After spending an hour fixing everything up, and then another couple hours just using it and experiencing the Koala-ness of it all, I rapidly came to love it. I suspect the people who are hating on the Koala haven't given it a fair shot. It's really a great distro.

Good work Ubuntu! Karma be kind to you :)

xx58
November 11th, 2009, 08:25 PM
:rolleyes:Love it!

compaq615
November 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM
quite happy with it, but upgraded from jaunty after using that for only two days, so don't really know how it compares. Just regret upgrading instead of a clean install. the package is almost about the same size, but startup is kind of slow. next upgrade, I'm doing a clean re-install:p

Perturbed Penguin
November 13th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Karmic, in my opinion, is hands down the best release yet... and I'm running the 64bit which if anything ought to have more issues than 32bit. Hardly any problems related to Karmic itself whatsoever!
*Stellarium isn't nearly as smooth as before, not sure why yet
*Handbrake won't run on 64bit, yet, b/c of compatibility issues

Other than that everything is running better than ever before, and bootup is very fast - and thats without an ssd btw. I for one am loving Karmic! I wish others the best of luck with fixing any issues they are having though!

youbuntu
November 13th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I love it!!!!.

ibutho
November 13th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Works fine for me. I did a clean install on an older computer and everything works fine. I had to use nvidia-settings in order to configure X correctly because Ubuntu was using 800x600. I think it was not detecting the monitors edid correctly.

wmcbrine
November 13th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Karmic, in my opinion, is hands down the best release yet... and I'm running the 64bit which if anything ought to have more issues than 32bit.I've been running 64-bit Ubuntu for like five years now, and finally dumped the last 32-bit code (Flash). So I don't see any reason for issues... I was amazed, when I picked up a Windows 7 64-bit system the other day (my first 64-bit Windows), to discover just how new and experimental 64-bit still is considered to be for that OS. I think every single program I added, even open source stuff, was 32-bit. Even when 64-bit versions were available, their use was discouraged. It was a real eye-opener.

uberdonkey5
November 13th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I've been running 64-bit Ubuntu for like five years now, and finally dumped the last 32-bit code (Flash). So I don't see any reason for issues... I was amazed, when I picked up a Windows 7 64-bit system the other day (my first 64-bit Windows), to discover just how new and experimental 64-bit still is considered to be for that OS. I think every single program I added, even open source stuff, was 32-bit. Even when 64-bit versions were available, their use was discouraged. It was a real eye-opener.

that is impressive.. not got 64 bit, but good to see linux is leading in this area

qamelian
November 13th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I have no complaints about Karmic. On my hardware, it's been the best, most stable release since Breezy Badger (5.10).

yester64
November 13th, 2009, 03:05 AM
I've been running 64-bit Ubuntu for like five years now, and finally dumped the last 32-bit code (Flash). So I don't see any reason for issues... I was amazed, when I picked up a Windows 7 64-bit system the other day (my first 64-bit Windows), to discover just how new and experimental 64-bit still is considered to be for that OS. I think every single program I added, even open source stuff, was 32-bit. Even when 64-bit versions were available, their use was discouraged. It was a real eye-opener.

That what bogged me all the time.
64 just sucks. I used to run XP64 and that was already pain. Then i switched to Vista 64, another pain.
Every program you get or is 32 bit and there are only a handful program that use 64 bit coding. One of the program i had was 7zip which is 64 bit. wow
Flash (thanks adobe) is only 32bit. Even the Internet Explorer 64 you can not use anywhere.
So thanks but no thanks to 64bit in general. If you really do thing like graphic or video where you may get an application that natively uses 64bit, its the choice to get. For 'Joe Sixpack' it is not.
Thats why software will not evolve like it has from 8bit to 16bit. If i see a flashplayer from adobe run in 64bit, i might consider it, but for now i run 32bit on my 64bit hardware.

On linux it might be different, but even there you have go to hoops to get a flashplayer running in fooling the plugin.
Software so far falls way behind the hardware curb. very sad.

Aetixintro
November 13th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I throw in my vote also. 9.10 Karmic is a definite progression of the Ubuntu! To the development-team, you're doing GREAT! Thanks! :)

HappyFeet
November 13th, 2009, 03:16 AM
If i see a flashplayer from adobe run in 64bit, i might consider it
Here (http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/libflashplayer-10.0.32.18.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz) it is. Just untar it and put it in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins and no, you don't have to jump through hoops.

Works great for me.