PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] EXT4 Default File System?

seanj
October 30th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I read in the 9.10 release notes that the default kernel can cause file corruption on an EXT4 file system. Is EXT4 the default file system in a new install? If so, what a disaster.

Edit: I said 9.04 when I meant 9.10, sorry.

richlyn9
October 30th, 2009, 06:38 AM
i think we get an dropdown option to choose others (i installed the RC which gave me an option to use ext3)
Yes ext4 seems to have issues.

kaibob
October 30th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I read in the 9.04 release notes that the default kernel can cause file corruption on an EXT4 file system. Is EXT4 the default file system in a new install? If so, what a disaster.
I wasn't aware that ext4 was the default file system in 9.04. It is in 9.10 when doing a clean install but you can easily change that to ext3 if you wish.

Earl_Maroon
October 30th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I have been using ext4 since the release of Jaunty and have had no trouble with it. It seems perfect;y stable to me.

recluce
October 30th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Looking at the problem reports with EXT4 right now, I would not use 9.10 with EXT4 at this moment. Which gives you the following options:

1. Clean Install
You can easily select a different file system from partition manager for your root, just be sure to set partitions manually. You probably should consider any other EXT4 partitions you may already have (seperate home directory, external drives etc). If you have any EXT4 partitions and you handle files larger than 512MB, you might just want to wait.

2. Upgrade
If you don't have EXT4 partitions at this time, you don't have a problem, 9.10 will install to the existing root partition (EXT3, reiser, whatever). If you do have any EXT4 partitions, you might want to wait for a fix to 9.10. See above.

I have been using ext4 since the release of Jaunty and have had no trouble with it. It seems perfect;y stable to me.

The bug reported is specific to Karmic, so this is not a valid argument.

bumanie
October 30th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I am using ext4 on 64bit and 32bit jaunty + am using it on 64bit karmic. ext4 is regarded as stable and I have not had a problem with it on either of the 3 installations.

macogw
October 30th, 2009, 08:10 AM
The bug reported is specific to Karmic, so this is not a valid argument.

Er...the OP said they were reading 9.04's release notes though... Though in the case of the 9.10 file corruption issue: only on extremely large files, like the Kubuntu ISO I downloaded today. Your documents and config files and things? Those are fine. What I'd recommend is ext4 for / and ext3 for /home if you've got very large files to worry about.

seanj
October 30th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Er...the OP said they were reading 9.04's release notes though...
Sorry about that. I meant 9.10. I handle a lot of really large files on my system, so the bug scared me. If I convinced my friends to use the new Ubuntu, it would by default be very hazardous to their files. Not pretty :( Myself, I will use EXT3 when I install. Thanks guys!