PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remembering password for various tasks

CalcProgrammer1
October 30th, 2009, 06:02 AM
In previous versions of Ubuntu, you only had to enter your password once and check "Remember" or something like that when doing things such as mounting partitions, changing CPU frequency, etc. That feature is sorely missing in 9.10 and having to type my password for something stupidly simple like changing CPU frequency is crazy. How can I get rid of the password nag for simple tasks (CPU frequency, mounting local drives, anything that you could "remember" in previous versions)? More importantly, why was this feature removed? Does Ubuntu honestly think that people want to type in their password every time they want to change frequency or mount a Windows partition to play some songs?

lovinglinux
October 30th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I'm running KDE now, so I can't verify, but I believe Nautilus has an option to remember the password when you mount a partition.

CalcProgrammer1
November 4th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Anyone else have any ideas? This is pretty much the only thing I have against 9.10, but it's pretty big. I use my laptop at school and I need to make the battery last, so being able to throttle the speed quickly and without the need to type is important. I seriously can't understand the reasoning behind requiring a password for this, even Vista let you change CPU speed (power plan) without popping up UAC. Also, mounting my Windows partition is something I do pretty much every boot, it is annoying to require a password for mounting it. It isn't any extra security as I have auto login enabled on both Windows and Linux so hackers could just boot Windows to access the drive, it's just another layer of annoyance that there seems to be no way to avoid (Ubuntu 10.04, PLEASE have a smarter password system, one that you can configure your own access levels for various tasks ranging from never requiring a password (essentially, being root) to always requiring for specified tasks.