PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Karmic not in Grub menu---and no vmlinuz

Angus77
October 30th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I've done this twice now, and got the same problem both times. After installing Karmic, I get the Grub2 menu, which lists Debian and Jaunty (and all the kernels I have installed for Jaunty), but NO KARMIC!

I can boot into Debian and Jaunty fine. Everything seems fine on the Karmic partition, except I can't make heads or tails of the new /boot/grub folder.

Oh, and there's no vmlinuz in /boot.

Here's how my partitions are laid out.

/dev/sda1 Debian 5.0
/dev/sda2 Karmic
/dev/sda3 Jaunty
/dev/sda5 Home
/dev/sda6 random partition for fiddling around with

Angus77
October 30th, 2009, 12:52 PM
bump

Angus77
October 31st, 2009, 07:00 AM
This is infuriating! I've just tried the same thing with the i386 .iso---I installed via USB, and then again from a spare partition on the harddrive, and both times the system seems to install without a hitch---but Karmic won't show up in the GRUB2 menu, and there's no vmlinuz in the /boot directory!!!

I've been using Ubuntu on two desktops since Feisty, and on my EeePC sinceGutsy, and have never had anything like this problem before.

Am I really alone here?!?

Angus77
October 31st, 2009, 12:18 PM
Well, I "solved" the problem by downloading the kernel package, opening it up, cp-ing vmlinuz into the /boot directory, and rebooting. It appears to work (I'm typing from Karmic now) but it sure doesn't make me feel good.

I mean, package managers are there for a reason, right? Manually sticking the *kernel* into the /boot directory doesn't sound to me like the healthiest thing to do!

Now I'm worried about sticking Karmic on my EeePC...