PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Flash Issues in 9.10

D.horse
October 30th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I am having some trouble getting a flash plugin installed on my roommates computer. I finally convinced him to give ubuntu a whirl and i installed 9.10 on it in a dual boot fasion and everything went smoothly untill i tried to install a flash plugin.

When i try to install it through Mozzila (went to break.com and clicked on the pop-up that i need to install additional plugins) and it says "could not find the package" for all three of the packages that it it shows as options to play flash. I then went through Ubuntu Software Center and tried to install flash through that and it says "Not available for your hardware architecture".

Is his computer not able to play flash files under Ubuntu? It works fine under windows.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y530

Intel Dual CPU T3400
2 Gigs Ram
160 GB HD

Sef
October 30th, 2009, 05:11 AM
1) Did you uninstall the flash from break.com?

2) Are you using 32 or 64-bit Ubuntu?

D.horse
October 30th, 2009, 05:19 AM
It was never able to install from break.com. It says package could not be found.

I installed the 32-bit OS.....I believe.

where would be the easiest spot to check 32/64 bit?

xXDynamosXx
October 30th, 2009, 05:20 AM
If all else fails you can install flash player using the restricted extras found in the repository

Sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
installing this will install many of the restricted extras in ubuntu such as mp3 support, flash player 10, java as well as Microsoft Fonts such as comic sans. and other things :)

hope this helps you.

D.horse
October 31st, 2009, 09:05 PM
I fixed the issue. It turns out that you cannot download anything from the repository until you run an update. Normally this is not a problem because it will inform you that you need to run one right as soon as you install Ubuntu, but i installed it on battery power and it does not automatically do the updates when running on battery. So i ran an update and everything worked great!

:KS:KS