PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Up-Grade to Karmic Koala

lrcaballero
October 30th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Hi everyone,

Just to ask you guys that I've started my up-grade from 9.04 to 9.10 since 5:00 pm PST and is now 8:28 PM and It is still getting packages! is this normal on a up-grade? should I cancel and do a clean install......?

Thanks,

Luis

icetnet
October 30th, 2009, 04:34 AM
It is normal for the fact that everyone is attempting to grab those same files. Since they didn't release until lunchtime EST, I would venture to say that many of the mirror sites are copying these files as well. It is not just us'ns (I know, not a real word) that want these files, you have colleges and other locations all around the world with some heavy duty bandwidth to contend with. Keep at it. It took mine a while as well. So far, I can't stop smiling. This is one cool upgrade.

And no, don't cancel... I know, I had things to do as well. But the ISO's are much bigger and if the servers are swamped it could take much longer.

Cheers to Canonical!

tiggsy
October 30th, 2009, 04:39 AM
I just upgraded. It's late. But I have this brown thing in the middle of the screen. It started appearing in version 9.04 but it used to go away after a few seconds. But now I'm using Karmic Koala it just stays there and wont go away. I have no idea what it is but it's a **** nuisance.

Someone please tell me how to get rid of it.

mrpeachy
October 30th, 2009, 04:42 AM
its gnome-do, click the little down arrow in the corner to get to the settings

tiggsy
October 30th, 2009, 08:16 PM
The little down arrow doesnt do anything. It was the first thing I tried - repeatedly. And i tried to move the thing, and that wouldnt work either. "Always on top" seems to be set, and its right in the middle of the screen. But, after a reboot, it's back to appearing for a few seconds at startup, which i can live with. I'd prefer to get rid of it altogether, though.

oboedad55
October 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Just uninstall it. It's called gnome-do in synaptic.

metalwraith
October 30th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I just did a clean-install as I tried the upgrade twice.. no go... So I just had my stuff all backed up yesterday. And did the clean install this morning after work.. All is running fine now. :)