PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 9.10 (hurry up and wait)

nakama85
October 30th, 2009, 04:28 AM
So it took me about 1 hour to download and burn 9.10. 20min to install, 10 min to see all the differences. Not to bad in my book. However I took for granted that the repos would be overloaded as well. Doing something as simple as "apt-get update" seems to take a lifetime. Not to mention installing restricted extras.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy Ubuntu is getting so popular. It's just a minor irritation to get so far and then have to wait;)

So far I am pleased with 9.10 only a couple of things I can't seem to figure out, like setting custom sounds. lol

oh well I guess patients is a virtue

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 30th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Yeah, it's pretty obnoxious, but to be expected.

misfitpierce
October 30th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Can change your repo sources in sources and hit fastest one and it will detect the fastest server for you which should make the pain a little more bareable for the first few days that it will be like this!

JillSwift
October 30th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Sadly, you really can't set custom sounds via GUI.

Sounds are bundled into themes in /usr/share/sounds, and karmic comes with just one: Ubuntu.

I'm attaching an example from freedesktop.org (http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/sound-theme-spec) (though it's been modified a bit by me.)

nakama85
October 30th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Can change your repo sources in sources and hit fastest one and it will detect the fastest server for you which should make the pain a little more bareable for the first few days that it will be like this!

I am not seeing the option for "fastest one" am I looking in the wrong place?

toupeiro
October 30th, 2009, 04:55 AM

System -> Administration -> Software sources -> Download from: Other...

Now click "Select Best Server"

diesch
October 30th, 2009, 04:58 AM

"Software Sources"→"Software from Ubuntu"→"Download from" [select "Other"] → "Select Best Server"

MasterNetra
October 30th, 2009, 04:59 AM
So it took me about 1 hour to download and burn 9.10. 20min to install, 10 min to see all the differences. Not to bad in my book. However I took for granted that the repos would be overloaded as well. Doing something as simple as "apt-get update" seems to take a lifetime. Not to mention installing restricted extras.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy Ubuntu is getting so popular. It's just a minor irritation to get so far and then have to wait;)

So far I am pleased with 9.10 only a couple of things I can't seem to figure out, like setting custom sounds. lol

oh well I guess patients is a virtue

Hurry up and wait. That is the US Military's thing...or at least the Navy. Idk about the other branches.

HappyFeet
October 30th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Took me 10 min on bittorrent. Cry me a river. Do you need to start a thread about it?

nakama85
October 30th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Hurry up and wait. That is the US Military's thing...or at least the Navy. Idk about the other branches.

yup That's the Army's Fav. Modo

nakama85
October 30th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Took me 10 min on bittorrent. Cry me a river. Do you need to start a thread about it?

Wow did you even read the post????????? it had nothing to do with download time it had everything to do with overloaded repos.

And I was just starting a conversation/discussion about it. hence "Forum Community Discussions > The Community Cafe >"

HappyFeet is not so happy today:p Maybe he broke his foot!?!

diesch
October 30th, 2009, 05:03 AM

That depends on the mirror you are using. The German mirror was doing quite fine.

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 30th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Took me 10 min on bittorrent. Cry me a river. Do you need to start a thread about it?What does that have to do with what the OP said. Way to troll.

nakama85
October 30th, 2009, 05:19 AM
System -> Administration -> Software sources -> Download from: Other...

Now click "Select Best Server"

got it! thanks

JDShu
October 30th, 2009, 05:37 AM
sudo apt-get update/upgrade since the official release of karmic was just 3 packages for me haha.

NormanFLinux
October 30th, 2009, 07:50 AM
It took me 12 hours to update Kubuntu and Open Office was broken during the upgrade. Upon reboot, I reinstalled Open Office, cleaned out leftover files and removed Kpackagekit. It now works as well as it did in Jaunty. Some repos no longer work. Have to wait until Karmic repos appear for them.

Exodist
October 30th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Yea its a Navy thing,, I read the the topic title and got PTS!! Please dont scare me like that anymore :(