PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I/O Error - Error reading boot CD.

ShadowMage
October 30th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Hello,

I downloaded Ubuntu 9.10 today from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download, and burned the ISO onto a CD. Upon booting from the disc, I select my language (English), so far so good.

But then, when I try to select an item from the menu, such as "Check disc for defects", I get a message box titled "I/O error" with the message "Error reading boot CD." and a "Reboot" button. This is not a result of the check because if I select a different item, such as "Install Ubuntu", I get the same error.

Previous versions of Ubuntu have never given me this problem, although I have used different types of CD's for those. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but just in case, I will give the info. It seems all my previous versions were burned on SONY CD-R, and the disc I used this time is a PRODISC CD-R.

Now, if I run md5sum on the .iso file from which I burned the CD, I get
728cf46cc5668557896e291cb8aaa99a
but I have no idea whether or not this is the correct sum; I tried searching for what it should be but I couldn't find it. But I'm downloading the .iso again in case I get a different sum this time.

If anyone has any idea what the problem is or can help steer my in the right direction, I would appreciate it very much! :)

Thanks in advance.

joewski
October 30th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Now, if I run md5sum on the .iso file from which I burned the CD, I get
728cf46cc5668557896e291cb8aaa99a
but I have no idea whether or not this is the correct sum;

When you download an ISO there is usually a hash5 or shm1 value to compare your iso file to. It happens quite often that downloads or burns can become corrupt.

Other problems with install include:
-defective CD's (yes even silver production type)
-defective/weak lazers in the cd rom reader

RJARRRPCGP
October 30th, 2009, 04:32 AM
But then, when I try to select an item from the menu, such as "Check disc for defects", I get a message box titled "I/O error" with the message "Error reading boot CD." and a "Reboot" button.

I started getting that for like no reason with a good Jaunty Jackalope (IIRC) CD, with my Adaptec 29160 SCSI card and Plextor SCSI CD drives.

ShadowMage
October 30th, 2009, 04:34 AM
When you download an ISO there is usually a hash5 or shm1 value to compare your iso file to.

Sorry, but can you tell me where/how to find this value to compare it with? I'm a bit new with this stuff because I never ran into this type of problem before.

Also, I mentioned I was downloading it again. The download is complete, and I got a different sum this time. Is this normal? This time, I got 8790491bfa9d00f283ed9dd2d77b3906

Hopefully the difference is because the previous one was corrupt and this one isn't *crosses fingers*. I guess I'll try burning this new ISO download and see what happens.

By the way, thanks for your reply.

hawkeye2777
October 30th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Sorry, but can you tell me where/how to find this value to compare it with? I'm a bit new with this stuff because I never ran into this type of problem before.

Also, I mentioned I was downloading it again. The download is complete, and I got a different sum this time. Is this normal? This time, I got 8790491bfa9d00f283ed9dd2d77b3906

Hopefully the difference is because the previous one was corrupt and this one isn't *crosses fingers*. I guess I'll try burning this new ISO download and see what happens.

By the way, thanks for your reply.

Here's the list of Ubuntu 9.10 MD5 sums:

http://noncdn.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/9.10/MD5SUMS

ShadowMage
October 30th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Thank you hawkeye2777. According to that page, it seems the first one I downloaded does not match, but the new one I downloaded does. So, it seems likely that this was the problem. I'm burning the new ISO now so I'll let you guys know if it works.

ShadowMage
October 30th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Well it seems that the first ISO was corrupt. Not only did the md5 sum not match, but when I went to delete it I noticed that it was only approx. 500 MB! Weird.

Anyway, now with my new ISO, that message box is gone. But when I "Check disc for defects", once it completes I keep getting the message
"Check finished: errors found in 1 files!"
or the message
"Check finished: errors found in 2 files!"

I tried this new ISO with 2 discs so far. Are my discs defective? Should I try burning one more disc? Should I try downloading one more ISO? Or should I wait until I can try a different type of CD and/or from a different pack?

raven01
October 30th, 2009, 06:15 AM
i had that problem. i took off the buffer protection and burned at 4x. then it worked. i wish that lil weird problem would just go away lol

ShadowMage
October 30th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Woot!

"Check finished: no errors found"

While the slowest speed I was able to select in my burning software is 8x, I took your advice and took off the buffer protection and slowed the speed down (to 8x), and finally I have a disc that passed the defects check!

Much thanks raven01 and everyone else who contributed to this thread!

ShadowMage
October 30th, 2009, 07:16 AM
SUMMARY:

For reference purposes, I'll summarize that the "Error reading boot CD" problem was fixed by downloading a new ISO, because the first ISO was corrupted; and the "Check finished: errors found in 1 files!" problem was fixed by in the burning software taking off buffer protection and slowing down the burning speed.