PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Net upgrade still Beta?

fusuikan
October 30th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Hi. Thanks in advance for any assistance. The community you have thriving here is amazing. I've been running Ubuntu now a couple months on a dual boot system.

My question is, when I go to update through the Update Manager, I see:
"This is still a BETA release. Do not install it on production machines. "

Does this mean that the version released today is not available thru update manager? Or, is the version being released today still considered Beta??? I'm confused.

fusuikan

running_rabbit07
October 30th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Hi. Thanks in advance for any assistance. The community you have thriving here is amazing. I've been running Ubuntu now a couple months on a dual boot system.

My question is, when I go to update through the Update Manager, I see:
"This is still a BETA release. Do not install it on production machines. "

Does this mean that the version released today is not available thru update manager? Or, is the version being released today still considered Beta??? I'm confused.

fusuikan

That testing stuff should no longer show. How are you trying to install?

fusuikan
October 30th, 2009, 03:47 AM
i'm following the instructions:

Start System/Administration/Update Manager
Click the Check button to check for new updates.
If there are any updates to install, use the Install Updates button to install them, and press Check again after that is complete.
A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new release. http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=um1.png
Click Upgrade.
Follow the on-screen instructions.

When I click upgrade, it gives me the message:

= Welcome to the Ubuntu 'Karmic Koala' development release =

This is still a BETA release.
Do not install it on production machines.

Am I doing something wrong? I get the same when I call up update manager from the command line.

Are other people getting something different. It's not because I haven't refreshed the search.....

Thanks for the reply.

running_rabbit07
October 30th, 2009, 03:51 AM
i'm following the instructions:

Start System/Administration/Update Manager
Click the Check button to check for new updates.
If there are any updates to install, use the Install Updates button to install them, and press Check again after that is complete.
A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new release. http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=um1.png
Click Upgrade.
Follow the on-screen instructions.

When I click upgrade, it gives me the message:

= Welcome to the Ubuntu 'Karmic Koala' development release =

This is still a BETA release.
Do not install it on production machines.

Am I doing something wrong? I get the same when I call up update manager from the command line.

Are other people getting something different. It's not because I haven't refreshed the search.....

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know why it is saying that, either. I would say go ahead and install it, it'll automatically upgrade to the New Release if it isn't already installing it.

Or, I would suggest torrenting the Alternate installer image, burn it, and insert it while running, that will start the upgrade and it will go way faster that way.

fusuikan
October 30th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Thank you for your assistance. I downloaded the update earlier. I reckon I'll just burn and go and cross my fingers that I don't run into any of the issues being discussed in this section of the forum. Ubuntu 64 9.04 is my ONLY stable OS right now. I just upgraded to 64bit Windows7 from XP 32bit and the stability is horrible. I keep getting BSODs and freezes....

Here's to hoping the 9.10 upgrade goes smooth and Ubuntu stays the solid as a rock, sexy as a rock star performer that I am have come to expect from this stud. If I wasn't into hi-end gaming I would tell those folks in Redmond to take a permanent vacation from my hard drive. This OS rules. (crossing my fingers that I am still saying that in an hour [-o< )

To infinity and beyond!

fusuikan

running_rabbit07
October 30th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Thank you for your assistance. I downloaded the update earlier. I reckon I'll just burn and go and cross my fingers that I don't run into any of the issues being discussed in this section of the forum. Ubuntu 64 9.04 is my ONLY stable OS right now. I just upgraded to 64bit Windows7 from XP 32bit and the stability is horrible. I keep getting BSODs and freezes....

Here's to hoping the 9.10 upgrade goes smooth and Ubuntu stays the solid as a rock, sexy as a rock star performer that I am have gotten from 9.04.

To infinity and beyond!

fusuikan

I am sorry to hear about your luck with the Windows upgrade. Does your CD allow clean installs?

fusuikan
October 30th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Yeah, it does. And I have reinstalled clean 3 times, crossing my fingers. I don't know what is causing the conflict. I am way bummed as I love it until it freezes.

I figure it must be my ATI graphics card or Creative Audigy2 ZS. I am going to try a fresh install without the creative.

Either that or it doesn't like the Asus P5NSLI motherboard I have with Nvidia 570SLI chipset. I haven't heard of anyone else having the problem. I know it's not the hardware as Ubuntu and XP are rock solid on the same rig.

fusuikan.

ps. hope we don't get in trouble for talking about the "W" word.....

running_rabbit07
October 30th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Yeah, it does. And I have reinstalled clean 3 times, crossing my fingers. I don't know what is causing the conflict. I am way bummed as I love it until it freezes.

I got lucky with the install of it but the Cisco training programs for my classes wouldn't work so i reverted back to XP Pro in a VBox.

Good luck with getting Ubuntu straightened out. If I see you post anything I can help on, I'll throw it in.

fusuikan
October 30th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Have you upgraded to the finalized 9.10 with no issues? I'm a little aprehensive now to risk the stabiliy, and quite a few people seem to be having problems.

running_rabbit07
October 30th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Have you upgraded to the finalized 9.10 with no issues? I'm a little aprehensive now to risk the stabiliy, and quite a few people seem to be having problems.

I have it running great on 2 systems. Conky is the only program that went flaky on me. I upgraded one machine using the Alternate installer and the other is a fresh install.