PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 is a mess... how do I go back to 9.04?

gedumer
October 30th, 2009, 03:19 AM
How can I go back to Ubuntu v9.04? I installed 9.10 and it's an absolute mess. Half of my stuff doesn't work any more. I keep getting error popups from a wide variety of apps. My sound no longer works. Too many things going wrong for me to work with it.

Is there a simple way to revert to 9.04?

raymondh
October 30th, 2009, 03:20 AM
How can I go back to Ubuntu v9.04? I installed 9.10 and it's an absolute mess. Half of my stuff doesn't work any more. I keep getting error popups from a wide variety of apps. My sound no longer works. Too many things going wrong for me to work with it.

Sorry. Fresh re-install of 9.04.

zero7404
October 30th, 2009, 03:23 AM

there is a simple way to revert back to a previous config, but you need a Clonezilla CD to do it, so i guess u need to reinstall.

grab a dl of clonezilla and make urself a cd, use it to back up your partitions. it allows u to revert back to that backup in very little time, when compared to reinstallation of everything from scratch.

gedumer
October 30th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Very depressing!!!

Razmear
October 30th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Can you elaborate on what does not work?
I'm about to do the upgrade and am curious if any of your non-working stuff might be on my system too.

eb

zero7404
October 30th, 2009, 03:48 AM
better off with a clean install. don't do upgrades unless u wanna go the way of windows with upgrades.

Orestez
October 30th, 2009, 03:52 AM
My sound didn't work at first, as well as the graphics seeming sluggish. Turns out it was still loading the old kernel in the menu.lst, so I renamed it and did a sudo update-grub to generate a new one. Now everything works, but apart from a longer boot time and a few new graphics nothing seems to be any different.

Running an Acer Aspire One btw, did an upgrade and had previously modified my menu.lst.

flipper9
October 30th, 2009, 03:56 AM
better off with a clean install. don't do upgrades unless u wanna go the way of windows with upgrades.

Agreed. Even though you have to take the time to backup your data, which is always a good idea even if you aren't messing with your system, you'll end up with a faster, better tuned, easier install with a fresh install. Upgrades, while generally better in Linux than Windows, are never perfect and leave all kinds of "kruft" around. Better to wipe clean and start over.

joewski
October 30th, 2009, 03:57 AM
In place upgrades can be very tricky. But what made it terrible for me is the removal of the "login window" administration tool.

You see I run multiple desktops, and when I did the upgrade I was stuck with the xubuntu log on screen. Now there is no way to change it because the tool has been changed to an auto log in tool only.

zero7404
October 30th, 2009, 04:26 PM
i just installed 9.10 and it runs pretty smooth....so far.
it's gonna take some time to customize it the way i did with 8.10, but that's no big deal.

epee
October 30th, 2009, 04:42 PM
better off with a clean install. don't do upgrades unless u wanna go the way of windows with upgrades.Ever since I built this machine a couple of years ago I have simply upgraded as each new release came round. Never had any major issues.

Guess everyone's mileage varies.

gedumer
October 30th, 2009, 05:59 PM
This is a great tip... it solved most of my problems... particularly the sound issue.

My sound didn't work at first, as well as the graphics seeming sluggish. Turns out it was still loading the old kernel in the menu.lst, so I renamed it and did a sudo update-grub to generate a new one. Now everything works, but apart from a longer boot time and a few new graphics nothing seems to be any different.

Running an Acer Aspire One btw, did an upgrade and had previously modified my menu.lst.

soluckytouselinux
November 25th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Hi. I agree. 9.10 is a mess. I can't play games, or a lot of stuff I use to do. I wish I had never upgraded to 9.10. I hope they fix it. I love Ubuntu, but I think maybe this version is a little buggie. Long live Ubuntu!!