PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't Install Ubuntu or Kubuntu Karmic 9.10 NBR

Shibblet
October 30th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I boot Ubuntu NBR 9.10 from the USB Drive, and I get the little flashing Ubuntu logo (Nice BTW), then it goes to a black screen with a wristwatch cursor for my mouse. I can move the mouse around, but it just stays in mouse moving limbo, with a black background, doing nothing. Not even reading off of the USB Drive.

So I decided to download the Kubuntu Netbook Remix, and it hangs on installation with this on the screen.

* Starting early crypto disks...
* Starting remaining crypto disks...
* Starting Kernel Oops catching service kerneloops
* Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd
* Checking battery state...
...done.

Now, I've tried just the Ubuntu i386, and the Kubuntu i386 standard ISO's. Still, it just hangs there.

So my question is, does this have something to do with the way I am trying to install this? Is it a unetbootin problem? Are there any alternative methods for installation?

Nokes
November 4th, 2009, 05:23 AM
i have a different problem, mine boots from the image very nicely and everything works, then when i run the install, after choosing my location it hangs, im using virtualbox

Shibblet
November 4th, 2009, 09:21 PM
My problem was resolved when I booted from a 9.04 USB Drive and formatted the Hard Drive from NTFS (Xp was on it) to EXT4 with Gparted.

Then the Ubuntu NBR installation went off without a hitch.
I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's what it took to make it work.

pantera10
November 5th, 2009, 04:26 AM
i have this exact same problem...im running ubuntu currently using startx..im afraid to reboot cause i might end up with the same problem and startx may not work..
i saw the xorg.conf fix but i dont need to do tht caus a xorg.conf file alreadt exists...i even edited the grub login file
[daemon]
something something

Shibblet
November 5th, 2009, 09:34 PM
At this point, I think it has something to do with the USB service in Karmic.

The MSI Wind USB ports stop reading from flash drives. I was able to get 9.10 installed by installing 9.04 and doing an upgrade.

After the upgrade, I plugged in a USB Stick to transfer some data to the HD. It was like it wasn't there. The computer didn't register that there was a USB Stick, and the stick didn't light up at all.

This is a known issue.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/413185