PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Webcam Permissions Issues in /dev/video0

kzetts
October 30th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Hey guys,

I just upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10, and everything in the change over worked smoothly, except for one thing: anytime I run a program that accesses the webcam, nothing is displayed.

So I did a little digging, and it's a permissions issue. For example, if I run 'gksudo cheese' I'm able to view my webcam, but not with 'cheese'.

I've added myself to the video group, and made sure that my user profile is able to access video hardware, but the issue is still not resolved. Any ideas, hints or solutions? They'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

sisco311
October 30th, 2009, 02:53 AM
did you log out and log back in after adding your user to the video group?

what's the output of:

ls -al /dev/video*

kzetts
October 30th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I logged out and logged back in since then.

The output of ls -al /dev/video* is

crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 0 2009-10-29 21:53 /dev/video0

trpnblies7
November 1st, 2009, 07:02 AM
I'm having the same issue. My webcam is only working when I open programs as root. How do I fix this?

branque
November 12th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Have same problem using Ubuntu 9.04, done what been suggested above, found a temp. solution each time I start my computer, to write in console

sudo chmod 777 /dev/video0

Afterwards webcam works fine in skype, msn, cheese software. Havent found a permanent solution yet, still looking.

trpnblies7
November 12th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I solved the problem, though I don't know if my issue was the same as everyone else's.

My issue was this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1316498

I solved it by editing /etc/rc.local to create the file on boot, and then I placed a script in /etc/rc0.d to delete the file when I shutdown my computer. Now everything works just as it did in Jaunty for me.