PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] /home partition encryption

t0mppa
October 30th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Ok, so I finished the update to Karmic. Then after it rebooted and everything seemed to be in order, this small window popped up with things to do like installing the necessary language options, etc. One of these was encrypting my /home partition. It was very unclear about the current state or whether or not I needed to do that, so I skipped it for now.

My question really is that back when I last reformatted my HDD, recreated the partitions and reinstalled Jaunty (after the helpful people of Acer service wiped my earlier Linux installation clean and partitioned my HDD to a useful clump of one big Vista partition as a result of a simple maintenance request after their software screwed the BIOS up), I already encrypted it once. So, did the upgrade just unencrypt it? Or did it just deem the passphrase I used as unsecure and wanted to enhance it? And is there some new fancy program (either GUI or CLI) on Karmic that I should be using to find out what exactly is the state of the encryption now?

mikewhatever
October 30th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Simply boot from a live cd and try accessing the home partition/folder.

t0mppa
October 31st, 2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah, that or mount it from the dual boot, but that's really more of a workaround than a solution though. Was looking for some native program that I can use to check up on it and since I don't remember stumbling upon one in Jaunty, just asked if anyone knew there was one added to Karmic. But perhaps I should've posted on the security forum to begin with.