PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Karmic Install Problem

urlacher3292
October 30th, 2009, 02:39 AM
I am trying to do a fresh install of Kubuntu Karmic. My computer has an old, integrated intel card that is not well supported, so I bought an NVIDIA card. In older versions of Ubuntu I was forced to disable the card, install with the Intel GPU, disable the integrated chip in blacklist.conf, and then reboot with the NVIDIA card. While, annoying, this process worked quite well for me. With Karmic, no matter what combination of cards and options on the Live CD, Karmic will not move past the Usplash screen (Kubuntu). When booting with the NVIDIA card disabled, the Usplash loading bar is constantly flickering on my Intel 82845, whether I have the safe graphics option on or not. Having the NVIDIA card enabled doesn't even get to Usplash. I'm sure my old issue still exists, but the Karmic release notes say that the 845 chipset drivers are particularly buggy. I had a similar issue when trying to use Fedora 12. My Intel chip would work, but after disabling it and booting with my NVIDIA card the splash screen wouldn't even come up. Does this have any thing to do with the newer kernels or Upstart, or is it purely a driver problem. I suppose I could try an upgrade from Jaunty, but this is not ideal. Is there anyway for me to do a fresh install of karmic?

P.S. I have also try the Install Kubuntu option (the 2nd one) on the CD. This did not help either.

urlacher3292
October 31st, 2009, 12:38 AM
Bump