PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Karmic Upgrade Crash

bluzit
October 30th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Tried to upgrade Jaunty to Koala which failed. I downloaded all packages which took 7 hours and then at the last one the program froze. I finally hit cancel after an hour and then had just the dialog box and my wallpaper. I tried to reboot but no hard drive was found. I unplugged pc and data and power cable to hard drive and it rebooted into Jaunty. I am very unlikely to try to upgrade again, I feel fortunate to have a working system again.:(

XDevHald
October 30th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Iit sounds to be from a program crash (overload) from downloading. This has been happening quite a bit but if you like, get Ubuntu to send you a free CD of Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 (stable) and depending on your location it should be there in a few days or weeks.

I am EST in North Carolina and get my CD's from them about 3-4 days later. Let's hope this is the same for you. Try again in a few hours, let the server calm down and this should help keep your application from crashing on you.

bashphoenux
October 30th, 2009, 02:25 AM
did you have your ubuntu 9.04 fully updated???
it is necessary ,that your ubuntu 9.04 be fully updated before you upgrade to 9.10

bluzit
October 30th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Yes, all updated before starting upgrade. I think it just took too long and I'm on a 10mbit pipe. Thanks

XDevHald
October 30th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Hey bluzit. If you need any other support on the upgrading or come across other issues (as we are assuming all is going well now) just reply back and we'll assist a.s.a.p.

bluzit
October 30th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Had trouble with Upgrade or package manager but found a post that fixed the problem. I entered two sudo commands in a terminal and it was back to normal. Thanks for your time people. :)

XDevHald
October 30th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Glad to help and good to see you resolved the issue.

malangaman
October 31st, 2009, 01:14 AM
Bluzit
Please post the link to the fix.
I crashed on upgrade as well.
It dumps me to a shell.