PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Warning: Do Not Enable "Reflections" in Compiz - GM965

asuastrophysics
October 30th, 2009, 12:25 AM
This is a warning for all Ubuntu users who have the Intel GM965 Chipset

Do not enable "reflections" under "animations" in CCSM. You will not be able to log in again.

To remedy this problem, you must delete your compiz configuration file. Unfortunately for me, I was not aware that this was a possibility, and I had to manually transfer all my files into a new username.

To fix compiz if you did enable "reflections":
(Issue this from either the shell or from another user account with root privileges)

rm -r /home/username/.compiz

**Replace "username" with your username. Hit ENTER, and log back in. This should fix the problem.

Cheers! :popcorn:

ChappyHappy
November 12th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Does this matter with which version of Ubuntu?
i just tried it with 9.10 and it crashed on me.

Any work around for this?

Ummm...for future reference...should I start new thread or post in existing thread that is marked as solved?

asuastrophysics
November 12th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Does this matter with which version of Ubuntu?
i just tried it with 9.10 and it crashed on me.

Any work around for this?

Ummm...for future reference...should I start new thread or post in existing thread that is marked as solved?

9.10 is the version it crashed on with me too. You can post in here, it's cool. :)

coldReactive
November 12th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I'm glad I run nvidia then. ;)

dejournett
January 9th, 2010, 12:35 AM
So there's no way i can keep my existing prefs? i got ubuntu just for compiz... and now i gotta re-do it?

asuastrophysics
January 18th, 2010, 12:12 AM
So there's no way i can keep my existing prefs? i got ubuntu just for compiz... and now i gotta re-do it?

only this once. because you enabled reflections, and your hardware is incapable of displaying them, you will have inadvertently borked your compiz settings.

however, if you wish to make a backup copy of your compiz settings, you can try this:

cp -r /home/username/.compiz /home/username/.compiz.backup
rm -r /home/username/.compiz

then, later you can go back and compare the old and new folders, and restore the changes you wanted to keep.