PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I need more Disk Space!

GuitarG20
October 30th, 2009, 12:18 AM
So...(fail)

I need 1.8 GB of space to upgrade to 9.10

I only have 1.5, and that can't be deleted.

how do i repartition?

flipper9
October 30th, 2009, 12:28 AM
You can use several Live Linux distributions that you can run from CD-ROM or a USB Key (i.e. boot from) to repartition your hard drive. Give the 'Gnome Partition Editor" a try...

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

...or Parted Magic...

http://partedmagic.com/

...or there is a program called unetbootin (for Windows or Linux) that can download and install to a USB Key for you using a GUI...

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

GuitarG20
October 30th, 2009, 12:37 AM
okay...but if i do this, will i lose any of my data???

flipper9
October 30th, 2009, 12:43 AM
okay...but if i do this, will i lose any of my data???

Anytime you repartition (using commercial or free tools) it is possible to lose data. Always backup your data.

GuitarG20
October 30th, 2009, 12:54 AM
well
guess what. being smart as i am, i am just gonna get rid of 9.04 after backing up all my data since i've only had it like a few weeks. then i'm a fresh install with mo space and start over. haha

ProDigit
October 30th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Anytime you repartition (using commercial or free tools) it is possible to lose data. Always backup your data.
I'm sorry, but that's not an option for me!

I'm running Xubuntu 9.10RC on a 4GB USB stick, and it tells me it needs 1,5Gb of free space. I only have managed to get upto 900MB available.
I can't believe there's a 1,5GB of free space necessary to upgrade from 9.10 RC to 9.10 knowing that the OS itself takes up less than 2GB in size!

At the beginning of the update, the OS mentions "Support for some applications ended",and suggests me to remove those packages at the end of the installation.
My question is, perhaps by removing them in the beginning I can reach 1,5GB free space?

But even if not, can't I do a step by step installation (eg: first kernel, then package by package), to prevent needing such a large free space? Eg: If I can split the update procedure in 2 pieces of each 750MB, perhaps I could upgrade?

flipper9
October 30th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I'm not sure how to help you, other than to suggest purchasing a larger USB Key (and possibly faster one at that), installing Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) to it, and migrating/copying the files you want from the old USB Key to the new one.

You can get pretty fast (Try Patriot Memory) and large (I have a 32gb one) USB key nowadays pretty cheaply.

ProDigit
October 30th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Okay, I managed to transfer data from one USB to an SD card and back.
I did a re-install, since my previous thought totally messed up the OS.

@Flipper: Indeed, perhaps in the near future I might purchase a MUCH faster 8 or 16GB USB stick!
I'm still running from an old stick with 8MB/s read and 5MB/s write.
Works fine, but I'd love to run Xubuntu on a newer stick that's about 5-8x faster!