PDA

View Full Version : KDE Music Player WITHOUT A PLAYLIST (Like Totem)

coldReactive
October 29th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I just want to know if there is a media player (like totem) for kde that does not have a playlist system? I'm getting annoyed when I have to click on a playlist item to play that track, when I could just open the file and have it play automatically and stuff. It also has to be able to repeat the media file over and over again.

This means:

-- No Rhythmbox,
-- No Amarok,
-- No XMMS2 (XMMS has this feature, but isn't in the repos anymore.)
-- etc.

If totem had a kde port, I would be glad. It has to be kde-based or cross-DE.

xuCGC002
October 29th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Dragon Player? :confused:

doorknob60
October 29th, 2009, 11:44 PM
VLC, not a KDE program but it's Qt so it looks and works fine.

RiceMonster
October 29th, 2009, 11:46 PM
kmplayer

hoppipolla
October 29th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Amarok I... oh ._.

lol

Juk! And!... oh :(

This is tough! lol

Just use something that is designed for video like Dragon or SMPlayer, or a more lightweight Mplayer frontend.

SuperSonic4
October 29th, 2009, 11:50 PM
VLC is my favourite, I just drag and drop it although it does use a playlist system

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Results:

VLC - No Repeat Option (I know this by heart)
Dragon Player - No repeat option
KMPlayer - added a file to playlist, play button wouldn't play. (OGG File.), since it adds files to playlists, it auto-fails.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Results:

KMPlayer - added a file to playlist, play button wouldn't play. (OGG File.), since it adds files to playlists, it auto-fails.

I dunno man, just use Amarok 2.2 and remove the playlist. lol

Failing that, XMMS would do the trick even though it's old. So would some random XMMS2 frontend or an Mplayer frontend that is more focused on music :)

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I dunno man, just use Amarok 2.2 and remove the playlist. lol

Failing that, XMMS would do the trick even though it's old. So would some random XMMS2 frontend or an Mplayer frontend that is more focused on music :)

Removing the playlist doesn't allow me to choose a new track to play. The music player has to play the file I open, amarok doesn't do this.

Guess I'll just switch back to Ubuntu, again. -_- I was looking forward to KDE too.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Removing the playlist doesn't allow me to choose a new track to play. The music player has to play the file I open, amarok doesn't do this.

Guess I'll just switch back to Ubuntu, again. -_- I was looking forward to KDE too.

aww nooooo! lol

KDEEEE!

Oh I dunno maaaan... what about this - http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/wiki/Client:Promoe

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 12:20 AM
aww nooooo! lol

KDEEEE!

Oh I dunno maaaan... what about this - http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/wiki/Client:Promoe

*has to compile* :|

Sorry, but no.

Falc7
October 30th, 2009, 12:30 AM
whats bad about using a gnome native application in KDE?

koleoptero
October 30th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Results:

Do you? Click on the playlist button, click the repeat button to repeat 1 or all (whatever you wish), close the playlist window, start opening files.

Screenshot attached.

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Do you? Click on the playlist button, click the repeat button to repeat 1 or all (whatever you wish), close the playlist window, start opening files.

Screenshot attached.

It still fails because it adds files to the playlist.

Xbehave
October 30th, 2009, 01:04 AM
amarok -l, --load Load URLs, replacing current playlist
amarok --queue Queue URLs after the currently playing track

koleoptero
October 30th, 2009, 01:12 AM

Actually it only adds one, then replaces it with the next, so it's not like using the playlist at all. You just have to allow only one instance of it.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 01:38 AM
one of these solutions just HAS to work lol

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Actually it only adds one, then replaces it with the next, so it's not like using the playlist at all. You just have to allow only one instance of it.

The problem with VLC is that I might use it for DVDs, but that doesn't work, I have to use xine for DVDs.

dragos240
October 30th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Results:

VLC does have a repeat option! Go in the playlist, click on the song, and push loop once.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I use quite a few Gnome apps in KDE anyway, like Pidgin, Filezilla, Chrome, Firefox and Nicotine. It's not the end of the world, I quite like them! :)

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I use quite a few Gnome apps in KDE anyway, like Pidgin, Filezilla, Chrome, Firefox and Nicotine. It's not the end of the world, I quite like them! :)

Pidgin and Firefox are not GNOME, nor is Chrome.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Pidgin and Firefox are not GNOME, nor is Chrome.

lol you know what I mean, GTK apps.

EDIT -- and blah blah Firefox is XUL or some such, who cares I use Chrome anyway xD

samjh
October 30th, 2009, 01:51 AM
smplayer
- written in Qt, so good in KDE
- has repeat function
- not dependant on a playlist

BTW, what's so bad about playlists? Totem uses playlists too: when you open a file, it is automatically added into an empty playlist.

dmizer
October 30th, 2009, 01:53 AM

I'm not sure why this is a problem. VLC automatically adds the files to the playlist, so it works exactly the same way totem does. The only difference would be in how you select the repeat option.

Understanding why the above is a problem might help us come up with a possible solution.

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 01:55 AM
totem replaces the entire playlist, when you open a new file, with the new file, then, it automatically plays the new file.

This is the functionality I want, along with the repeat function, and no visualizations.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 02:06 AM
totem replaces the entire playlist, when you open a new file, with the new file, then, it automatically plays the new file.

This is the functionality I want, along with the repeat function, and no visualizations.

I just tried this in Dolphin out of curiosity. KMPlayer fired up like a shot and played the track with no issues. It even replaced the playlist.

You can also play it embedded with Dolphin.

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Like I said KMPlayer didn't play when I hit the play button, nothing happened.

SMPlayer plays, no sound, and gives an error box asking what version of mplayer I'm using (but I can't change this later if I pick the wrong one.)

nevermind, audio was somehow muted. Thanks for smplayer, now I can go back to KDE :3

samjh
October 30th, 2009, 02:17 AM
...(retracted after edit)...

What distro are you using, by the way?

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 02:21 AM
...(retracted after edit)...

What distro are you using, by the way?

I'm about to switch back to kubuntu from ubuntu. I was using Kubuntu for a while, but had this media player annoyance I just couldn't get over.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 02:27 AM
I'm glad SMPlayer works :)

It's a wicked player! Still strange that you had problems with KMPlayer, but oh well, if you've found a solution then cool :)

SuperSonic4
October 30th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I just tried this in Dolphin out of curiosity. KMPlayer fired up like a shot and played the track with no issues. It even replaced the playlist.

You can also play it embedded with Dolphin.

Haha, I never knew that! Many thanks :popcorn:

chucky chuckaluck
October 30th, 2009, 11:54 PM
you might find kaffeine totem-esque.