PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] restore system using karmic live cd (usb)

kosmar
October 29th, 2009, 10:58 PM
A couple of days ago I upgraded my ssd's bios and wiped the free space so first I backed up and then restored my whole system using tar (.tgz etc) and the 9.04 live cd. Everything worked excellent as always. Its not the first time I restore my system. With linux its very easy to do so.
Today I followed the same procedure but this time using Karmic Koala live cd in order to restore my old 9.04 system from the same backup file. After the restore the system boot normally but after the login there was no network connection and I couldn't mount volumes using nautilus and had problems to several other things ... it looked like a permissions problem. I tried it several times but I had the same problem (I restore the system as a root user using 9.04 and also as a root user when using 9.10 live cd). It drove me nut.
So I thought to use again the old 9.04 live cd (even I couldn't thought a reason of doing so except that I didn't have a problem like that again before) and give it another try. I did the restore and this time everything worked fine.
What could possibly be the problem. I used root account to backup and restore the system with the 9.04 live cd and used root account to restore it with 9.10 live cd.
Any thoughts ?

kosmar
October 31st, 2009, 08:18 PM
anyone ?

xx58
November 1st, 2009, 04:10 AM
:rolleyes: I use years remastersys backup and was working just fine, but when I install to one my laptop Ubuntu 9.10 testing and wanted to backup it , because 9.10 test just crash all the time, it was not work. Now is out Ubuntu 9.10, but problem exists, cannot backup and make live DVD-s. So, I sign in and now I am at Remastersys Forums member. Problem is GRUB2 and Remastersys just need to be modified. Right now Remastersys don't work with Ubuntu 9.10.