PDA

View Full Version : Worst upgrade ever?

ticktricktrack
October 29th, 2009, 10:16 PM
How well did this upgrade work for you?

I thought mine wasn't fixable, but I could repair my software sources and restart the upgrade after about 10 attempts. Hope this one runs through.

gvor54
October 29th, 2009, 10:19 PM
It went OK. Only trouble is I cannot shutdown my computer!

Shibblet
October 29th, 2009, 10:21 PM
So far, I can't install the NBR on my MSI-Wind. Haven't tried my desktop yet.

grayrainbow
October 29th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Total disaster! Starting from dbus to xorg everything already present in the system wont install, then of course system was unbootable. Now I'm with fresh install(which looks pretty cool btw).

ticktricktrack
October 29th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Finally it went through. Upstart is more a Slowstart, it lazes about for a minute until it can be bothered to do some work. But otherwise it seems to work fine.

stalet
October 29th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Disastrous - allmost since the installer actually stopped before doing real damage.
I can still use the machine with 9.04.

Cant say i'm looking forward to do a full reinstall tho...

dochood
October 29th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I tried to install the Release Candidate the other day. Here are my problems that I had:

Grub2 failed to detect my partitions, and it did not install correctly.
I found some instructions that were supposed to fix this, but I still could not get Grub2 fixed (Error 15).
After reinstalling 9.10, I could no longer boot into Windows 7.
I restored the Windows 7 boot loader, but for some reason, it decided to swap my boot drive so Windows 7 came first.... it took me awhile to figure that out!

I'm back at 9.04, 64 bit.

overdrank
October 29th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Moved to The Community Cafe

Chronon
October 29th, 2009, 11:43 PM
My netbook upgraded fine. My desktop has an intel q6600 processor and I wanted to try a fresh install of the 64-bit version of Kubuntu. Unfortunately, the LiveCD won't let me proceed past choosing my language. (I made a thread in the installation forum, so not seeking any advice or help here.)

hoppipolla
October 29th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Flawless man. But then I did it back on Beta 1. And it was still relatively flawless xD

Johnsie
October 29th, 2009, 11:58 PM
The process of upgrading returned no errors... But many of the apps seem to be crashing for different reasons. I've had 3 different apps crash in the last hour.

Boot time seemed longer too. I hope that's only because it was the first boot.

paulisdead
October 30th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I did it about a week ago, though I had to uninstall update manager and use the server upgrade method. For some reason it wanted to remove it during the upgrade, which of course won't work when you're using update manager to upgrade.

Nautilus is still hosed up for me, and won't remember icon locations or folder views. Firefox won't open a torrent into transmission, so I have to save it, then open it in transmission. My boot and shutdown time's a touch longer under 9.10 than 9.04, as well. In order to get temp sensors working on my Asus P5Q-E, I had to get a more updated lm_sensors that can work with the newer asus driver. Figures this version of lm_sensors won't work with the version of gkrellm included. At least it works with Gnome's monitors.

I swear, I should stick to only the LTS releases, it's just that I wind up needing more up to date versions of packages, and adding too many PPAs can be a hassle. I'm probably going to need a clean install. It seems to defeat the purpose of running linux at all if you need to reinstall it just because a new version came out. Maybe it is time to go back to Gentoo for my desktop, I feel like 3 years of Ubuntu has made me rusty.

Johnsie
October 30th, 2009, 12:05 AM
In terms of performance, Karmic feels like a beta or an alpha. It seems like a work in progress that needs a little polish and bug fixing.

starcannon
October 30th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I keep /home on its own partition, all upgrades are flawless for me. Just a clean install without formatting the /home partition.

days_of_ruin
October 30th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I keep /home on its own partition, all upgrades are flawless for me. Just a clean install without formatting the /home partition.

Same here. The best way to upgrade IMO.

aamcse04
October 30th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I have tried a clean install multiple times now. I can not figure out what is going on. Every previous version has worked fine but when I install this, the GRUB loader comes up but when I try any selection it says error: no such device:2102a76f-d260-455d-8dca-971fa9f4010e press any key to continue...

When I do, it just says the same thing continuously.

koleoptero
October 30th, 2009, 12:34 AM

I used to do that too, but this time various apps started hiccuping. Oh well, I just had more fun reconfiguring my system (although I reused some config files like conky, rtorrent, etc).

jrrader
October 30th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Alternate CD for 64 will not let me install without downloading from the internet even after selecting the option to stay off the internet. I used the alternate CD to avoid the servers on such a busy day. 32 bit for my wife's computer worked perfectly, but my desktop is getting a slow-drip ubuntu update... 2 hours left.

edit: and I tried CD, mounting the image, unetbootin usb, redownloading the torrent, and unplugging the cat5.

Frak
October 30th, 2009, 12:51 AM
"No Such Device:Random Gobledy Gook"

Failure, absolutely hard.

dj-toonz
October 30th, 2009, 12:54 AM
went perfect for me, 10 minutes to download the torrent, opened up usb-creator to make A a USB image of the .ISO file & rebooted the laptop & 20 minutes after I had dual boot system of Jaunty x64/Karmic x64 then did the same on the Desktop so thats jaunty x64 / Karmic x64 aswell, all together, tock just short of an hour & no problems

lovinglinux
October 30th, 2009, 01:45 AM
In terms of performance, Karmic feels like a beta or an alpha. It seems like a work in progress that needs a little polish and bug fixing.

It's the opposite for me. It is running better than Jaunty, although I did a clean install back when the Beta was released and I'm running kde-minimal instead of gnome.

HappyFeet
October 30th, 2009, 02:07 AM
When will people learn that clean install is the way to go. A lot of people have problems after upgrading, then wind up fresh installing anyway. In the time it takes to upgrade, you could have fresh installed, and had a nice clean file system.

Fresh install is recommended for all OS's, including windows, mac, and linux. Wake up. And yes, I realize some people have no issues upgrading. But why take a chance?

HappyFeet
October 30th, 2009, 02:08 AM
the process of upgrading returned no errors... But many of the apps seem to be crashing for different reasons. I've had 3 different apps crash in the last hour.

Boot time seemed longer too. I hope that's only because it was the first boot.

Clean install! Some people never learn.

My install screams.

JillSwift
October 30th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Clean install! Some people never learn. +1

My install screams.
Mine did, too, but I turned the volume down. The screaming scared my neighbors.

absinthe
October 30th, 2009, 02:42 AM
We need some kind of automated script for when a new release drops.

1. Auto log users onto #****-release-party

2. Auto-refresh main page to see if "OMG IT'S UP!!1"

3. Make 1 thread about "Greatest release yet"

4. and "Worst release yet"

Having said that my upgrade was as smooth as fresh cream.

ericab
October 30th, 2009, 02:45 AM
vsftpd doesn't work now,

VMware Server wont compile necessary modules,

something is wrong with my PAM,

few other things...

overall not as smooth as i had planned *and* prepped for.

luckily i did a clonezilla before upgrading to 9.10 (from 9.04)

too much time invested in upgrade. pretty disappointed. major headache. numbing the pain now with a bottle of wine.

pwnst*r
October 30th, 2009, 02:50 AM
lol, and people bitch about windows.

Excedio
October 30th, 2009, 02:51 AM
When will people learn that clean install is the way to go. A lot of people have problems after upgrading, then wind up fresh installing anyway. In the time it takes to upgrade, you could have fresh installed, and had a nice clean file system.

Fresh install is recommended for all OS's, including windows, mac, and linux. Wake up. And yes, I realize some people have no issues upgrading. But why take a chance?

Not to forget...clean install gives you EXT4 by default.

lovinglinux
October 30th, 2009, 02:52 AM
We need some kind of automated script for when a new release drops.

1. Auto log users onto #****-release-party

2. Auto-refresh main page to see if "OMG IT'S UP!!1"

3. Make 1 thread about "Greatest release yet"

4. and "Worst release yet"

Having said that my upgrade was as smooth as fresh cream.

:lolflag:

Also a script to reply all new threads asking how to upgrade from the Beta and Release Candidate would be nice.

Jimleko211
October 30th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Karmic is...a disapointment from Jaunty. I would have been perfectly happy if they just upgraded the repos and left it there. The "fast start" is a joke, it's slower than with Jaunty!

sdlynx
October 30th, 2009, 03:00 AM
update went great more me, since I already had a separate home partition and everything.

JDShu
October 30th, 2009, 03:01 AM
When a new ubuntu distribution comes out, I expect it to be buggy as hell. My Karmic installation has fulfilled my expectations. It generally works fine, but Empathy and the msn protocol don't like each other. More importantly, games like Hedgewars and Open Sonic are choppy and can't really be played. Not sure if this is a problem with the nvidia drivers not working well with Karmic.

misfitpierce
October 30th, 2009, 03:04 AM
I put flawless but I fresh installed!

This release is not good to upgrade to but to fresh install it to take advantage of the new EXT4 filesystem unless you did custom and chose EXT4 on 9.04.

lisati
October 30th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Haven't done an upgrade yet. Based on a couple of brief tests with a USB drive, I've got some homework to do - wouldn't start properly on my laptop & the software store "stopped unexpectedly" (as did the error reporting) on my desktop.

johnboy1313
October 30th, 2009, 03:29 AM
9.10, i am pleased

danastasio
October 30th, 2009, 03:39 AM
all this awesomeness and i still can't get sound to work :(

dearingj
October 30th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Flawless. Everything I've tried works at least as well as it did in 9.04, and the system as a whole runs faster due to ext4 (and that's not just the placebo effect; I tested ext3 and 4 a few months ago on Jaunty and ext4 was definitely faster)

jpmelos
October 30th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I'll wait a week before installing it even from scratch, so most of the obvious and most dangerous bugs are already solved.

mamamia88
October 30th, 2009, 04:00 AM
i like it 64 bit flash works great and compiz is much smoother with nvidia 185

D-Sider
October 30th, 2009, 04:07 AM
*sigh* the system is fantastic, minus the Black Screen / Mod Not Supported that happens at login when I activate ATI Prop Drivers.

If I delete Xorg.conf, restart and let it generate a new one (with the drivers), then delete the new one, restart and replace the old one (with the drivers) it works... until I restart again. Sometimes it's a few restarts and other times its every restart.

Also, the xorg.conf file is amazingly empty. Only had 5 lines in it to start with.

I'll keep playing till I work it out. I think it's because my Samsung LCD TV has dud EDID info.

toupeiro
October 30th, 2009, 04:25 AM

*citation needed* for ubuntu.

I have a system where I've done upgrades since 6.10 and its 100% rock solid.

qwerty1105
October 30th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I did a clean install for 8.10. Upgraded to 9.04 with no problems. This one (9.10) I upgraded and now keyboard and mouse do not work... Gonna burn the .iso and see if that works.

MasterNetra
October 30th, 2009, 05:00 AM
lol Upgraded from RC. Just a handful of files needed updating :p

Excedio
October 30th, 2009, 05:38 AM
HOLY CRAP!...

Just did a clean install on my wife's 5 year old laptop. 8.04 & 8.10 couldn't find the wireless out of the box. I'm very excited about this...

Megrimn
October 30th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Sad, 'cause my custom GDM doesn't work anymore. Everything else is fine, plus some cool new stuff to get used to.

sonay
November 6th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I upgraded with update-manager when karmic-beta was released, it was OK until the final release, then ubuntu slowed down, even changing a theme took quiet time(a minute or so), then I made a clean install and everything is fine, except my internal mic doesn't work and my touchpad doesn't have a middle click anymore (may be it just needs to be configured somewhere, actually I don't care).

I don't think I'll use the update-manager way again, at least not for the next release.

pwnst*r
November 6th, 2009, 04:15 AM
upgrade borked mine (completely lost the dekstop among other things) but normally i install clean anyway, so that's what i did. first few boots i had slowness getting to the desktop and my mouse and k/b not being recognized until well after the login prompt appeared, but it's been fine ever since.

SunnyRabbiera
November 6th, 2009, 04:39 AM
lol, and people bitch about windows.

Yes but the difference between windows and linux is that windows is supposed to be "professional" and iron clad proof that closed source software is superior.
And yet Windows has TONS of issues, despite costing a lot of money and allegedly being "superior" to linux.
For me I can give a lot of pardon to Linux when something goes wrong as its INDIPENDANTLY DEVELOPED, no money no power just time.
I can forgive any errors in the linux world as I know that these are people who work for nothing.
Windows has no excuse if it screws up in my mind as it seems you pay for crap, at least in linux I know what I pay for.

alphaniner
November 6th, 2009, 04:41 AM
My worst upgrade ever was elementary school to middle school.

Frak
November 6th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Yes but the difference between windows and linux is that windows is supposed to be "professional" and iron clad proof that closed source software is superior.
And yet Windows has TONS of issues, despite costing a lot of money and allegedly being "superior" to linux.
For me I can give a lot of pardon to Linux when something goes wrong as its INDIPENDANTLY DEVELOPED, no money no power just time.
I can forgive any errors in the linux world as I know that these are people who work for nothing.
Windows has no excuse if it screws up in my mind as it seems you pay for crap, at least in linux I know what I pay for.
Pardon common human error Mr. Robinson. Take a look at CHESS (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/devlabs/cc950526.aspx) and show me that Microsoft isn't trying to lessen errors in coding. Also, I don't pardon Linux developers because many of them are paid.

pwnst*r
November 6th, 2009, 04:52 AM

okay, but i've never had an installation issue with windows.

sledge73
November 6th, 2009, 04:55 AM
okay, but i've never had an installation issue with windows.

man I have! like spending hours chasing down drivers on another computer cause I couldn't connect to the internet on a fresh windoze install! just to point one out.

stars
November 6th, 2009, 11:12 AM
whether installing windows or a linux distro one should research their hardware before a fresh install. it will allow you to acquire drivers as needed & make you aware of common problems. lack of preparation cannot be blamed upon an operating system regardless of the frustration of having poorly supported hardware.

SunnyRabbiera
November 6th, 2009, 11:16 AM
man I have! like spending hours chasing down drivers on another computer cause I couldn't connect to the internet on a fresh windoze install! just to point one out.

I have too

mehaga
November 6th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I don't think any upgraded system is as good as clean installed one. At best, everything works but runs a bit slower. And that is how upgrades usually worked for me. In this case, OS works much slower and error screens pop up all the time (mostly KDE error screens). If I had a tiny spaceship at the bottom of my screen and ability to shoot the damn error screens, it might be fun (remind me to patent this idea). Without it, however, this is my worst upgrade experience ever.
That said, clean install is fantastic, and I believe this is one of the best Ubuntus so far.

Frak
November 7th, 2009, 01:10 AM
whether installing windows or a linux distro one should research their hardware before a fresh install. it will allow you to acquire drivers as needed & make you aware of common problems. lack of preparation cannot be blamed upon an operating system regardless of the frustration of having poorly supported hardware.
Ubuntu lacks a very special "thing" that makes BSD and Windows AMAZING:

An HCL - Hardware Compatibility List

stars
November 8th, 2009, 02:08 AM
i agree, while it's more time consuming to google "hardware vendor/model" than to view an hcl, it's better than doing a fresh install of a new operating system blindly without some research.

blueshiftoverwatch
November 8th, 2009, 02:53 AM
I think this is the best release yet.

scouser73
November 10th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I didn't manage to vote on the poll, but Karmic is working brilliantly for me.

diablo75
November 10th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Flawless, because I chose to NOT UPGRADE for the time being. I have no rush to get the latest and will wait for 9.10.1 to be released.

RiceMonster
November 10th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Ubuntu lacks a very special "thing" that makes BSD and Windows AMAZING:

An HCL - Hardware Compatibility List

Yes agreed. Perhaps they should maintain a list on kernel.org or something of available open and proprietary drivers, compatibke hardware, etc.