PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.10 fails to shutdown-restart computer

gvor54
October 29th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Hi!

I've just upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10.

I cannot shutdown or restart my computer ! Stand-by works OK though.

I always get the message:

Buffer I/O error on device loop0, logical block 2056561.

Thanks in advance for helping me.

Gvor54

lushd
October 31st, 2009, 08:17 PM
Hi Same problem here but the command line shutdown doesn't work either! Any suggestions?

CaKiwi
October 31st, 2009, 10:32 PM
I have the same problem, no solution yet

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308198

CaKiwi

solmisation
October 31st, 2009, 11:05 PM
Hi
I have upgraded to karmic Koala on both my desktop and laptop, both have this same problem.

skyiscrying
October 31st, 2009, 11:22 PM
I had same problem with the upgrade. So when the final 9.10 was released a day or so ago, I installed that and almost everything is ok. Well, it shuts down as normal and reboots quick. I am not running with any other OS at this point in time.

solmisation
October 31st, 2009, 11:40 PM
Both my installs are via Wubi from within Xp and Vista respectively, do you think this may be part of the problem?

grar05
November 1st, 2009, 12:51 AM
It seems it only happens with wubi installation. There are lots of reports at launchpad of this bug, and also a lot of forums opened talking abaout it. There is no solution yet I think. Do you think that it'll be solved with an actualization?

CaKiwi
November 1st, 2009, 01:10 AM
My original install of Jaunty was also with Wubi. Hopefully, there will be a fix in a future update.

kixome
November 1st, 2009, 01:11 AM
It seems it only happens with wubi installation. There are lots of reports at launchpad of this bug, and also a lot of forums opened talking abaout it. There is no solution yet I think. Do you think that it'll be solved with an actualization?

not quite, I installed it a week before release, and I had the same problem. It was an upgrade from jaunty.

grar05
November 1st, 2009, 01:19 AM
So the problem is not about wubi, it's about the upgrade? And if is it, why some people works and some other have the problem?
And I also installed Jaunty with Wubi and then upgraded inside Ubuntu to Karmic.

solmisation
November 1st, 2009, 07:40 PM
I have just done a clean install of karmic, again via Wubi, and all went well.

grar05
November 1st, 2009, 10:09 PM
Yes it seems to work if you do a clean installation, the problem is if you can't do the installation, as in my case. I have no time right now to uninstall, reinstall and configure all so I still shuting down manually... Till some actualizations solves it or reinstalling when i find time. I hope an actualization will arrive before it!

WildSioux
November 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
I have the same problem on my Gateway Desktop. I did a fresh install of Kubuntu 9.10 though. I installed it on a different partition because I also have LinuxMint 7 (Jaunty) KDE CE installed.

I am able to shutdown properly from the KDE GUI. But restarting is where it freezes after exiting KDE and after the Kubuntu splash it drops to text and shows what it is doing. It always freezes on this:

8262.0883491 Restarting System

Holding down the power button is the only way to shut it down at this point.

I tried changing things with ACPI in grub. While that fixed the restarting issue and it restarted fine. It also would not let me shutdown.

I am seeing a lot of problems with restart/shutdown in 9.10. Other than this problem everything is running great.

Should I start a new thread with my issue? I really do hope someone finds a fix for this because I don't want to go back to Jaunty (no problems on shutdown/restart).

yojimbo72
November 2nd, 2009, 06:46 PM
I'm having issues with shutting down as well but only after upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10 the error code I'm getting reads "899.610065 buffer I/O error on device loop logical block 187199" Some have suggested that this is because it detects a floppy drive and I should disable it, then restart. Haven't tried this yet since I don't have a floppy drive installed on my system..however there is a 3.5 bay where one could be installed. Any other reason I would get this error when attempting to shut down?

mosug
November 2nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
!!This is not a workaround!!

I'm still new to linux and I'm still trying to understand what's going on, so DON'T follow. I'm just trying to give some hints to those who is working on a fix to this problem. And this is definitely not a fix nor a workaround.

Here is my findings.
I found that the new lupin-support (0.27) doesn't contain the script "lupin-sysctl".
After reading the changelog, there's a line like this.

lupin (0.22) intrepid; urgency=low

* Disabling lupin-sysctl since its functionality has been replaced by
syncio (LP: #204133). Lupin-sysctl is not actively removed if
already installed since syncio also requires a change to menu.lst.

Also a line in lupin-support 0.23

lupin (0.23) karmic; urgency=low
.....skip.....
* Removed old lupin sysctl file

So I try to remove lupin-sysctl and karmic does shut down or reboot normally (at least the last time), but the buffer I/O warnings are still there.
Since those fresh install of Karmic won't contain this script, it does explain why this only happens to those upgrading from old versions of ubuntu, like me. So maybe the problem is caused by some old files being left behind after upgrading?

By the way, may those having a fresh karmic help to see if there's any buffer I/O warnings before their PC turns off?
Maybe the I/O error is another problem at all.

CaKiwi
November 3rd, 2009, 07:15 AM
The following solution corrected the problem for me

On the terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/init.d/halt

Add the following line to the end of the halt script:

rmmod snd-hda-intel

Proceed to a successful shutdown.

I found it in this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1306789&page=2

CaKiwi

WildSioux
November 3rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
BTW...

This is how I fixed my restart problem (separate thread by me, post #2)...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1311191&highlight=restart

Since I was able to shutdown correctly, I didn't need to change any acpi stuff.

Hope that helps someone!

CaKiwi
November 5th, 2009, 03:56 AM
I was too hasty with my previous post. I was able to shutdown only once after applying it. But I found this fix in another thread. Post #19

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sysvinit/+bug/468589