PDA

View Full Version : Palimpset

Bigtime_Scrub
October 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM
So I installed Karmic today. I see palimpset doesn't work in Ubuntu any better then it does in Fedora 11. It keeps saying I have bad sectors and I installed and used Fedora on it for over a year and now in Karmic it is saying the same thing. This software doesn't work. I haven't tried removing it yet because if it is is anything like Fedora then it will take a bazzillion dependecies with it, so i guess I will just block the program at start up.

*sigh*:(

ssam
October 29th, 2009, 09:03 PM
maybe your disk does have bad sectors. maybe you should replace it or atleast have a backup so that if it fails completely tomorrow you dont loose anything.

one of my disks has 1 bad sector. early versions of karmic gave me a warning message at each boot. now i only see it if i go into palimpset. i assume that if the number of bad sectors starts to grow it will warn me again.

just noticed, if you go into palimpset and click to show more information for the disk there is a "dont warn me" check box (mine is not ticked).

Bigtime_Scrub
October 29th, 2009, 09:07 PM
maybe your disk does have bad sectors. maybe you should replace it or atleast have a backup so that if it fails completely tomorrow you dont loose anything.

one of my disks has 1 bad sector. early versions of karmic gave me a warning message at each boot. now i only see it if i go into palimpset. i assume that if the number of bad sectors starts to grow it will warn me again.

just noticed, if you go into palimpset and click to show more information for the disk there is a "dont warn me" check box (mine is not ticked).

Well I didn't know about the warn me box, that's new I think so thanks.
Maybe it does have bad sectors, Palimpset says the hard disk is failing, but it said the same thing when this computer was running Fedora and I never had any problems then. I think it is probably too sensitive. I'm not going to back anything up though because there is nothing all that important that I will cry about if the hard drive does fail. Like I said, it's been working fine.

x3roconf
October 29th, 2009, 09:10 PM
So I installed Karmic today. I see palimpset doesn't work in Ubuntu any better then it does in Fedora 11. It keeps saying I have bad sectors and I installed and used Fedora on it for over a year and now in Karmic it is saying the same thing. This software doesn't work. I haven't tried removing it yet because if it is is anything like Fedora then it will take a bazzillion dependecies with it, so i guess I will just block the program at start up.

*sigh*:(

Palimpset works for me. :)

cariboo
October 29th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Back in alpha2 when it was released, it was a problem, becuase one of my drives has 12 bad sectors. About alpha4 it was fixed so that it didn't bother me any more. If you are worried, use the manufacturers diagnostic tools to check your hard drive.

phillw
November 25th, 2009, 12:22 AM
It's bug report is over this way --> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libatasmart/+bug/438136

You can follow it's progress there.

Regards,

Phill.