PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 to 9.10 upgrade issues: user applet, nvidia performance, gdm, xsplash

Juno360
October 29th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Hello all,

Having upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 I have noticed a performance increase but a few issues:

Video performance seems to have decreased with new nvidia drivers (185), I have noticed this the most with HD flash videos, which before the upgrade played very smoothly
The "fast user switch" applet has been replaced with "user switch" applet, though for me it is no longer linked to IM or showing session options such as Restart, Shutdown, Logout etc. I have installed Empathy and uninstalled Pidgin to see if IM options return.
Uplash has remained, no animation on startup, which is fine. However if I install Xsplash the behaviour is very odd, kernel messages before and after the splash screen and time taken to get to desktop seems to be a bit delayed
I understand that GDM themes can no longer be changed, which is fine for now, any ideas if the new GDM supports themes at all?

Any ideas/thoughts that could shed any light as to the issues above?

Thanks in Advance

EDIT: 64-bit system btw, using ubuntu 64

lovinglinux
October 29th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Video performance seems to have decreased with new nvidia drivers (185), I have noticed this the most with HD flash videos, which before the upgrade played very smoothly

Check this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7950332&postcount=2

It is for video tearing, but also improves nVidia performance. For example, when spinning the cube without direct rendering, the performance is very bad.

wiebeest
October 29th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Hello all,

Having upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 I have noticed a performance increase but a few issues:

Strange, but my change from 9.04 to 9.10 had the opposite effect: hd flash on you tube never had been more smooth for me as now. For my system specs, see my signature.

Juno360
October 29th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I entered the first command in your guide and it told me Direct Rendering is on, so I don't think it's that. Appreciate the suggestions though

Gilanel
November 1st, 2009, 10:00 AM
Hello all,

The "fast user switch" applet has been replaced with "user switch" applet, though for me it is no longer linked to IM or showing session options such as Restart, Shutdown, Logout etc. I have installed Empathy and uninstalled Pidgin to see if IM options return.
[/LIST]

EDIT: 64-bit system btw, using ubuntu 64

Same here. Any ideas how to bring back this handy applet ??

Juno360
November 6th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Found it, it's not the user-switch applet any more, it's now called the indicator-applet-session. Hope that hels