PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 9.10 - was it worth waiting ?

OpenGuard
October 29th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Ubuntu 9.10 have been released and many of you have probably already installed it. What made you smile and what not ?

The main question - is it a step forward ?

Странник
October 29th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Best release so far

dragos240
October 29th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Meh. Arch is good for me. But I have tried karmic, one of the best yet.

xuCGC002
October 29th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Ubuntu is just fantastic. I'm gonna order a box of CDs and hand them out.

Oh, and KDE 4.3. Just so much better than the previous KDE 4.x releases.

speedwell68
October 29th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Ubuntu is just fantastic. I'm gonna order a box of CDs and hand them out.

Oh, and KDE 4.3. Just so much better than the previous KDE 4.x releases.

Burn a load yourself and help save the environment.:D

Serioulsy though, It is bloody awesome, the best OS I have ever used. The only niggle is I now have 3 more machines to upgrade.:D

JDShu
October 29th, 2009, 08:11 PM
No real difference for me. I just upgraded cause its newer.

Icehuck
October 29th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I'm thinking I like the default look of 9.04 better. Also not sure how I feel about how Empathy and Evolution are integrated together into the panel. Also I'm not liking how Empathy is attached to the indicator applet which also chooses if you login,logout,suspend, etc.

NCLI
October 29th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I'd like it if the people who voted that they were going to install Windows 7 would actually post in the thread as well, at least to clarify whether it would be replacing Linux.

Exodist
October 29th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Pulse Audio really giving me head aches. Its still trashed even after the past 3 releases.
I decided to just stick to Debian Lenny.

OpenGuard
October 29th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I'd like it if the people who voted that they were going to install Windows 7 would actually post in the thread as well, at least to clarify whether it would be replacing Linux.

Personally, I've already replaced Ubuntu with Windows 7, but .. Ubuntu is just a small part of the Linux world ( I do have a box which runs Mint and I don't think that I'm going to replace it with something else ).

Ro86
October 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Karmic seems to have solved all my hardware/driver issues. awesomeness.
Canon printer still not working though :( But can't blame canonical for that.

maflynn
October 29th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I'll play with it tonight in vmware but if the beta is any indicator and its release notes. The updates are such that I'll probably stick with what I already have - no real temptation to upgrade.

Screwdriver0815
October 29th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I did not test the final release yet but I tested the Beta in virtualbox - also for checking the translations.

So far I will stick with Jaunty because it is running fine and I don't feel like setting everything up new.

As far as I saw it in the virtualbox-Karmic it looks nice and more polished than Jaunty and it also starts up much faster. But these are not enough reasons for upgrading for me.

what speaks against upgrading, for me personally:

- Empathy (I just don't understand why they have replaced Pidgin)

- the default behaviour of the update manager is still the same as in Jaunty and I need to switch it back to the old behaviour, known from Hardy and Intrepid

- the user switch applet has the 60 seconds countdown as default - I need to switch it off

- the splash screen is not my cup of tea

and for sure some other things, I don't like...

but anyway, it seems like a good release and I wish all Karmic users a lot of fun with it and I also would like to say "thank you very much!" to the developers.

I'll wait for Lucid Lynx I think... or I give the new OpenSuse 11.2 a shot... but maybe I get crazy for upgrading and I'll go for Karmic later on. But for now I stay with my beloved Jaunty.

drawkcab
October 29th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Best thing is the new Intel drivers. My eeepc is very thankful!

SunnyRabbiera
October 29th, 2009, 10:06 PM
The intel fixes are a big help indeed.
My biggest gripe about Karmic though is that it doesnt create a xorg.conf file....
this could be VERY problematic.

Icehuck
October 29th, 2009, 10:13 PM
The intel fixes are a big help indeed.
My biggest gripe about Karmic though is that it doesnt create a xorg.conf file....
this could be VERY problematic.

New X.org doesn't require one, but you can just create one yourself. Call it xorg.conf and leave it empty.

guriinii
October 29th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Karmic is great! I could get compiz to work, which is awesome. Endless fun.

JillSwift
October 29th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Karmic made my dishes sparkle, made the sun come out, and caused my cats to experience enlightenment.

(Read: I like 9.10, it's good stuff.)

bribera
October 29th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I had to take the "No" option because I didn't wait - been running it since alpha.

That said... I am disappointed with the login window customization changes, and I don't really see a huge difference between 9.10 and 8.10.

Mornedhel
October 29th, 2009, 10:50 PM
There's no "meh, it's OK" option ?

I installed Karmic because I wanted octave-3.2 and because apparently my hardware was better supported.

So far the wireless hasn't dropped, which is *nice* considering how unstable it was before. Installation was painless, restoring configuration and data from Jaunty backups is underway, working so far.

Unfortunately all the Octave modules in the repositories depend on octave-3.0 instead of octave-3.0|octave-3.2, which sounds rather stupid to me -- an oversight in packaging ? I really hope it will be fixed, since I absolutely require 3.2 for a toolbox I work with.

Some emacs packages also depend on emacs22|emacs-snapshot, but not emacs23 -- again, weird, but not major.

Keyper7
October 29th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I'm thinking I like the default look of 9.04 better. Also not sure how I feel about how Empathy and Evolution are integrated together into the panel. Also I'm not liking how Empathy is attached to the indicator applet which also chooses if you login,logout,suspend, etc.

Wait... weren't those things already true for Jaunty?

Icehuck
October 29th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Wait... weren't those things already true for Jaunty?

No, since this is the first release with empathy.

Keyper7
October 29th, 2009, 11:08 PM
No, since this is the first release with empathy.

Yes, but Empathy was already available in Karmic via repositories and the things you mentioned were true for Pidgin, IIRCBIDAIMN (if I remember correctly, but I do admit I may not).

EDIT: It seems I remembered it correctly. I'm testing Pidgin in Jaunty right now and it appears in the indicator-applet along with Evolution and Gwibber. And user status are integrated in the now-dead fast-user-switcher-applet (replaced by indicator-session in Karmic), which also handles logout, suspend, etc.

lisati
October 29th, 2009, 11:12 PM
As I type, I'm creating a USB startup "disk", and will probably post some comments if I discover something worth saying.

Edit: hmmmm messed something up: a couple of dialog boxes which I couldn't understand (rectangles instead of a regular character set), and seems to take forever to load. Must be time to check the image on the memory stick and try again.

edit 2: hmmmm might need to do some homework to run from usb stick on my laptop, starts ok on my desktop

Icehuck
October 29th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Yes, but Empathy was already available in Karmic via repositories and the things you mentioned were true for Pidgin, IIRCBIDAIMN (if I remember correctly, but I do admit I may not).

EDIT: It seems I remembered it correctly. I'm testing Pidgin in Jaunty right now and it appears in the indicator-applet along with Evolution and Gwibber. And user status are integrated in the now-dead fast-user-switcher-applet (replaced by indicator-session in Karmic), which also handles logout, suspend, etc.

You might be right as I can't find a Jaunty disk and I only seem to have Intrepid laying around.

I did use Jaunty for a little bit, but I can't remember clicking on the message icon and it giving me a choice between pidgin and evolution.

Irihapeti
October 29th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I propose to find out. It won't be replacing Hardy on my production machine, but I'll experiment with it on a spare partition and on an old laptop that I have. It will probably go on my EeePC 900 when my son returns it after his overseas trip.

Kudos to the developers, great job.:)

Keyper7
You might be right as I can't find a Jaunty disk and I only seem to have Intrepid laying around.

I did use Jaunty for a little bit, but I can't remember clicking on the message icon and it giving me a choice between pidgin and evolution.

In Jaunty a program was only listed in the indicator-applet if it was open. In Karmic the applet became a launcher as well, showing all apps integrated with it all the time.

Icehuck
October 29th, 2009, 11:21 PM
In Jaunty a program was only listed in the indicator-applet if it was open. In Karmic the applet became a launcher as well, showing all apps integrated with it all the time.

OK, so there was a change, I just didn't know what the proper wording was.

Is there anyway to revert this back to the behavior in Jaunty/Ibex?

NCLI
October 29th, 2009, 11:43 PM
OK, so there was a change, I just didn't know what the proper wording was.

Is there anyway to revert this back to the behavior in Jaunty/Ibex?
I think the only way to do that would be to install Empathy/Pidgin from outside the repository, though I'm not certain even that would work.

hoppipolla
October 29th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I love it to bits! A great step forward for Ubuntu and open source desktops as a whole IMO, and I can't wait for Lucid :)

Screwdriver0815
October 29th, 2009, 11:58 PM

yes it does. when you have Evolution opened and Pidgin and anything else which uses the message icon, you can choose between the programs in Jaunty too.

chrisw92
October 30th, 2009, 12:05 AM
It was almost too easy, did a fresh install from a cd onto an old laptop that was running 9.04 [originally installed 8.04 or whatever then upgraded from the internet, cause the cd took 7 hours to install] and it only took about 16 minutes to install.

love the new theme and everything, I only have one problem with this, where are all the "real" settings editors e.g. replacing the boot sound [this was a 3 button click in 9.04, I can't even find it now]

it may just be me being stupid but where have these gone [looked in the edit-menu thing, there not there]

pro003
October 30th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Way too good, better --> faster --> reliable --> simple ==> GREAT!!!

I have just downloaded and installed 9.10 and driver installation went easy, sound, graphics, printer, everything, just great. Too bad I'm tired and have to go to bed but tomorrow morning... here we are again.

Congratulations to all Ubuntu Developers Team and Canonical.

Another great SUCCESS!

Keep up the great work! :KS

BrankoP
October 30th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I probably should google-it before posting previous comment :) , sorry for that...
Now, i found more than few blogs and threads that are explaining how to install Adobe flashplugin on Ubuntu 64 bit, so i suppose that there is the problem...

So, i think i will reinstall Ubuntu 32 bit, i manage to find thread that explain how to do just that without interfering with dual boot. ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1264478 ) :)

Regards!

BrankoP
October 30th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Thanks for help Screwdriver0815 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=641531) !

I will try reinstall 64 bit again, to give it one more chance because of APT issue, but if it stay the same, i will stick with 32 bit.

After that, i will vote on this thread... :)

Screwdriver0815
October 30th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I probably should google-it before posting previous comment :) , sorry for that...
Now, i found more than few blogs and threads that are explaining how to install Adobe flashplugin on Ubuntu 64 bit, so i suppose that there is the problem...

So, i think i will reinstall Ubuntu 32 bit, i manage to find thread that explain how to do just that without interfering with dual boot. ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1264478 ) :)

Regards!

nope, flashplugin is no problem to install on a 64 bit system. The problem may be that it works not as good as in 32 bit. But the installation itself is no problem at all.
The error lies in the software sources. So if you decide to go for 32 bit, do not skip anything during install, even when it takes a while. and also do not skip something when you try the 64 bit again ;)

meho_r
October 30th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Man, this is disappointment. Here's why:

1. No notable speed gain. On the contrary, when I first installed Jaunty it was faster than Karmic. In this regard, Karmic is a degression.

2. There are bugs all over it: Network Manager doesn't support DSL (!), ubuntu-one, which is preinstalled doesn't work (capabilities mismatch; I'm speechless at this one), if you use vlc you can't watch video unless you first turn off screensaver, there are broken packages... I'm sure in couple of days more will pop up.

I'm aware that some of bugs have to do with Gnome, not Karmic, but still they manifest in Karmic.

I sometimes wonder why there always have to be workarounds and patches for most trivial things? Ahhh...

The only issue with Jaunty on my machine were occasional freezes due ext4.

So, it was really not worth waiting for me.

johnboy1313
October 30th, 2009, 01:33 AM
im putting it on a disk now, soon i will taste the 9.10

stuart.reinke
October 30th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Rather large let down for me. Kde is totally unusable on my machine. Gnome is not much different than it ever was.

Because I want to use KDE, I'll have to stick with Jaunty.

I'll keep Karmic around for a while and let some bug fixes come in. Maybe things will improve for me.

I think now I know how people with Intel graphic cards felt when Jaunty was released. Only this time, it is ATi cards. :(

BrankoP
October 30th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Hi all,

I have new problem which is related with 9.10...

Now it's second PC, Toshiba notebook, on which i have only Ubuntu 9.04 as only OS.

When 9.10 RC came out, i downloaded it and wanted to try how it feels by mounting in on live CD, but, unfortunately, after inserting CD (in preparation to restart system), Ubuntu offered me something like update or something, again, unfortunately, i clicked OK, thinking that nothing wrong can happen because it was not about updating whole system or anything, bu some minor updates, i don't know now precisely, and i was planing to update to 9.10 anyway...

Anyway, 9.04 has installed some updates from 9.10 RC CD (i believe that there was mention about APT during "update") and after i reboot my PC, tryed new 9.10 RC and returned to main system 9.04, i tried to install some software in Add/Remove Applications (VirutalBox to be precise) but i couldn't compete the task, there was message popping out all the time. I put screen shot of that window below:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9905/60274215.th.png (http://img101.imageshack.us/i/60274215.png/)

Of course, i inserted 9.10 RC disk right away and clicked OK, but message just pops out again and again!

I hoped that original full version of 9.10 update from Update Manager will sort things out, but it haven't.... :(
Update started and then again same massage poped out...

I looked also in "media" folder and i have noticed that there is folder named "cdrom" but it was empty! But there is folder there for actual CD and it's name is Ubuntu 9.10 i386!

Is there any way to mount CD on requested location or something else that could sort out this mess?

Please help... :(

Thanks in advance...

Eisenwinter
October 30th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Burn a load yourself and help save the environment.:D

Serioulsy though, It is bloody awesome, the best OS I have ever used. The only niggle is I now have 3 more machines to upgrade.:D
You know, I don't quite understand why would anyone use the exact same operating system on 4 different machines.

If I had 4 machines, I would experiment with a large variety of operating systems, not use the exact same one on all 4.

pistacoppu
October 30th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I like 9.04 more than 9.10

BrankoP
October 30th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I posted my latest comment on other thread, where i believe it belongs :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8197796#post8197796 sorry if i was too much off topic...

So, if anyone have any ideas, please post it there to avoid taking this thread off topic...

NJC
October 30th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I like 9.10 - the dark brown theme looks better than previous lighter versions. A crash report is issued at waking from Suspend, and sometimes my machine won't wakeup after the monitor shuts off. But so many upgrades, the new versions are usually worthwhile IMO.

akand074
October 30th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Hello everyone,
Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 was released yesterday and I was just wondering what people have been thinking about it so far. I personally really like the new layout and features, its great. Unfortunately it also has quite a few cons. For one, the boot up speed has decreased quite a bit, although the boot up looks really cool I wouldn't say its worth the extra wait seeing as the boot speed is one of ubuntu's prime selling point, atleast to most of the new comers I have talked to saying its the main reason they put an ubuntu partition in the first place. Also I've been getting a large number of crashes, I've actually never seen that crash icon come up in my entire ubuntu history haha. Also, as of now, my firefox is still unable to play flash videos.

Anyone else have any similar problems or any other inputs?

Tibuda
October 30th, 2009, 08:08 PM
You know, I don't quite understand why would anyone use the exact same operating system on 4 different machines.

If I had 4 machines, I would experiment with a large variety of operating systems, not use the exact same one on all 4.

Consistency. Some people want the same user experience in all of the machines.

You can use more than one OS in the same machine if you have space.

ericmc783
October 30th, 2009, 08:11 PM
not to be mean, but this type of thread has already been posted.

I'm sure this will get moved to recurring discussions.

akand074
October 30th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Ah I didn't realize and I guess you can't delete your own threads I guess whats done is done

My apologies.

SunnyRabbiera
October 30th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Well for me Karmic is an improvement over Jaunty, my intel issues are gone and my overall system performance is better then Jaunty.
But personally I am still waiting on both Mandriva 2009.2 and openSUSE 11.2 to see what will be my distro.

toupeiro
October 30th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I run multiple mysql and postgres databases on my system. the upgrade process did not impact them in any way whatsoever. everything working in 9.04 was working in 9.10 post upgrade. Understand that there is LOTS to be said for everything that was working before is still working after. Not many other OSes can tout that, especially with a live upgrade.

overdrank
October 30th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Threads merged

meho_r
October 30th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Well for me Karmic is an improvement over Jaunty, my intel issues are gone and my overall system performance is better then Jaunty.
But personally I am still waiting on both Mandriva 2009.2 and openSUSE 11.2 to see what will be my distro.

If Mandriva keeps its quality and speed from 2009.1, it will be awesome. 2009.1 was the best made distro I've ever tried.