PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] x64 upgrade to 9.10 - 23 hours remaining

jrrader
October 29th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I'm using the alternate disk. It checks out okay. When I run the upgrade I'm choosing no on the option to download updates from the internet. When it gets to file 1274 in "getting new packages", it basically stops and tells me I have a day or two to wait. My computer normally has no problems doing anything. My wife's laptop, which is much slower, upgraded from 9.04 to 9.1 in about 30 minutes. I have her running 32 bit where as I am running 64.

Any ideas? It shouldn't be downloading anything from the internet, and if it was I have a 30mbps connection so that shouldn't be a problem. I burnt the CD at 24x.

While typing this it finally moved from 1274 to 1275 with 19 hours remaining.

shaggy999
October 29th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I'm using the alternate disk. It checks out okay. When I run the upgrade I'm choosing no on the option to download updates from the internet. When it gets to file 1274 in "getting new packages", it basically stops and tells me I have a day or two to wait. My computer normally has no problems doing anything. My wife's laptop, which is much slower, upgraded from 9.04 to 9.1 in about 30 minutes. I have her running 32 bit where as I am running 64.

Any ideas? It shouldn't be downloading anything from the internet, and if it was I have a 30mbps connection so that shouldn't be a problem. I burnt the CD at 24x.

While typing this it finally moved from 1274 to 1275 with 19 hours remaining.

You may have a 30 mbps connection, but the mirrors are being hammered right now. To make absolutely sure that nothing is being downloaded you should disconnect your network cable or disengage wifi when you install. I don't recommend doing that in the middle of the install, though. It could bork it.

jrrader
October 29th, 2009, 08:43 PM
You may have a 30 mbps connection, but the mirrors are being hammered right now. To make absolutely sure that nothing is being downloaded you should disconnect your network cable or disengage wifi when you install. I don't recommend doing that in the middle of the install, though. It could bork it.

The CD was being very quiet.

When I tried unplugging my network cable I was getting errors that it could not reach the ubuntu servers - so it was trying to download. After many times trying to get it to just use the disk, I restarted my computer. This time when I ran the updater my CD started spinning and it worked. Thanks.