PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade or install?

mjhouska
October 29th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Should I install or upgrade? havent changed jaunty much so no great loss. all my user stuff is backed up. would i have a better chance of keeping devices operating by upgrading?

VastOne
October 29th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Should I install or upgrade? havent changed jaunty much so no great loss. all my user stuff is backed up. would i have a better chance of keeping devices operating by upgrading?

I would recommend a new install. If you do not have a separate home partition, this would be the time to create one so that in future moves, your data would be protected and you would have more options to test or have side by side installs.

mjhouska
October 29th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Exellent idea. hadnt thought of that

gsparky2004
October 29th, 2009, 07:39 PM
How about neither? I just upgraded from jaunty to karmic. I now have no sound, my icons on the desktop move every time I reboot, I have some unknown process running in the background (I get an alert when I either shut down or reboot), and Skype keeps disappearing. I'd suggest waiting a week or two til things calm down. Then upgrade or install, whichever you prefer.

lovinglinux
October 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM
i would recommend a new install. If you do not have a separate home partition, this would be the time to create one so that in future moves, your data would be protected and you would have more options to test or have side by side installs.

+1

ursus262
October 29th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Being amongst the first is always fraught with difficulties. I suggest waiting, say, for a month for all the bugs to be ironed out. It'll get there. It just takes time, that's all :)