PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 clean install - failure to boot default entries

kinji5
October 29th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Downloaded 9.10 today and went to install it on a Dell D600 with 2GB 160GB harddrive. Whole drive wipe and clean install.. goes through the install using all the default settings.
during the initial boot it gave me an error... "ubuntu failure to boot default entries"

Tried re-installing 3 times...still the same issue. Help!

florus
October 29th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Have you checked the MD5 hash to confirm that there are no errors in your download?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

jhanford
October 29th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Same issue here with both Ubuntu and Kubuntu 9.10 installing to IBM T41 laptop.

Error message as follows:

error: no such device: <guid>

Failed to boot default entries.
This is a working laptop. I just flattened it from Windows 7 to install *buntu. Windows 7 ran fine on it.

Any ideas?

Dramageek
October 29th, 2009, 08:58 PM
looks like it may be a grub2 bug. Here it is in the Debian forums:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/grub2/+bug/403408
I'm getting it too. :(

Haven't tried the fix mentioned in the second comment, but it looks like it doesn't fix all instances of the bug from the other comments there.

kinji5
October 29th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Same here Windows 7 was running fine on the machine.. thought I would revisit Ubuntu.
I will try the fix and see..

st0n3cutt3r
October 29th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I reinstalled and resolved my issue.

snoopyq
November 7th, 2009, 01:06 AM
4th retry, 3time downloaded.. md5 hash is correct.. w7 installs xp installs u8.10 installs u9.10 installs.. then reboots with no such fricken device.. blah c82d577-xxxxx-x-x-xxxx ... ubuntu is not free.. it costs me a packet of fricken drink coasters everytime i go to install it.

Mangrove
November 9th, 2009, 12:51 AM
The Same happened to me, a workaround is to install 9.04 (with ext3 filesystem), then upgrade to 9.10.

I believe the problem lies with the ext4 filesystem and Grub and Western Digital Hard drives.

I had 9.04 system up and running. I upgraded to 9.10 just fine, but 9.10 told me that my Seagate HD was failing due to age. I swapped in a WD 160GB drive, did a clean install of 9.10 and had the poblem described in this thread. Tried to figure out what was different and Ubuntu version/ HD brand/ Filesystem came to mind. I figured it must have been something the new OS was doing different that would affect the boot process so early on.

Anyway, I installed 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope just fine, then upgraded to 9.10 just fine, so I am assuming the problem lies with ext4 and Grub. I'm not a programmer or Super Linux user/Guru, so I don't know how to help any further.

Hope this helps!...

Thomas1477
November 9th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Downloaded 9.10 today and went to install it on a Dell D600 with 2GB 160GB harddrive. Whole drive wipe and clean install.. goes through the install using all the default settings.
during the initial boot it gave me an error... "ubuntu failure to boot default entries"

Tried re-installing 3 times...still the same issue. Help!

I had the same problem. Tried reinstalling 6 times...I got it to work on the 7th try.
This is what worked for me. Some where in the forums I read a post that said "after installing 9.10 before you shut down to take out the cd that you installed from install the video drivers for your video card."
This worked for me. WHY. I have no idea.
Hope this might help you.:D

skiluvr
December 4th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Linux UBUNTU 9.10, "Karmic Koala" install, boot problem. My system: IBM thinkpad R40e.

For people who get the repeated "no such device" message and no boot menu:
If you turn on your computer and hold down the shift key, you will get the Grub menu and can then use the instructions in comment below to boot your system."

From the grub bootmenu, press e to get to edit mode. Move cursor down.
Erase the line starting with "search --nofloppy ..." and then press Ctrl+X to boot.
When up and running you could run the command sudo update-grub, or wait till the end of these instructions.

when booted up and in go to
applications
accessories
terminal
in 'terminal window':
at prompt type:
sudo gedit /usr/lib/grub/grub-mkconfig_lib
you get a gedit window with lines of code for the grub-mkconfig_lib file
scroll down and find the following line:
prepare_grub_to_access_device ()

then find below this code and delete (or you can comment out by inserting a # before the lines)
if fs_uuid="`${grub_probe} --device ${device} --target=fs_uuid 2> /dev/null`" ; then
echo "search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set ${fs_uuid}"
fi

then go to file, save, or control+S to save
exit window, alt+f4
back in terminal window that's still open
at prompt enter
sudo update-grub
then re-start and it should boot to desktop
it worked for me. i've consolidated and expanded other posts from this forum for us linux learners.

jlmort
December 11th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Linux UBUNTU 9.10, "Karmic Koala" install, boot problem. My system: IBM thinkpad R40e.

If you turn on your computer and hold down the shift key, you will get the Grub menu and can then use the instructions in comment below to boot your system."

Erase the line starting with "search --nofloppy ..." and then press Ctrl+X to boot.
When up and running you could run the command sudo update-grub, or wait till the end of these instructions.

applications
accessories
terminal
in 'terminal window':
at prompt type:

then find below this code and delete (or you can comment out by inserting a # before the lines)
if fs_uuid="`${grub_probe} --device ${device} --target=fs_uuid 2> /dev/null`" ; then
fi

exit window, alt+f4
at prompt enter
sudo update-grub
it worked for me. i've consolidated and expanded other posts from this forum for us linux learners.

Worked great with my IBM T41 clean install.

Thanks a lot!!!

iambuntu
January 7th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Originally Posted by skiluvr http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8440034#post8440034)

applications
accessories
terminal
in 'terminal window':
at prompt type:

fi

exit window, alt+f4
at prompt enter
sudo update-grub

this was the only solution that worked
ended deleting the code and it worked awesome on my compaq.
thanks alot,

ddieterich
January 10th, 2010, 04:02 AM
My Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop was running the previous release of Ubuntu with no problems. I installed a new WD drive, installed 9.10, and ran into this problem. This solution worked for me.

p_motch
January 17th, 2010, 09:55 PM

applications
accessories
terminal
in 'terminal window':
at prompt type:

fi

exit window, alt+f4
at prompt enter
sudo update-grub

I followed your step by step instructions, and this solved the issue I was having on a Dell Inspiron 600m. Thank you!

c0rrupt0r
January 27th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by skiluvr http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8440034#post8440034)

applications
accessories
terminal
in 'terminal window':
at prompt type:

fi

exit window, alt+f4
at prompt enter
sudo update-grub

this was the only solution that worked
ended deleting the code and it worked awesome on my compaq.
thanks alot,

I had this same problem and this fixed it up great thank you very much for the great tutorial and info. your a life saver...i give you five stars :KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

There is one slight problem and after updating my Ubuntu 9.10 It had done the same so I had to redo all this again..so make sure to save the info and repeat the steps.

xlm
January 29th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Thanks skiluvr for providing this answer.

I just did a new install of 9.10 on a laptop and got the same message. A few minutes later I used your method and the problem is fixed.

Thanks again.:D

dmwipf
February 10th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Thank you, skiluvr! This has been dogging me since 9.10 arrived. Your solution worked perfectly on my Dell Inspiron 600m.

doug

makria
March 1st, 2010, 01:12 AM
TVM worked a treat.
Installation worked a treat bar this niggle but you nailed it.

CharlieBabbit
March 8th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Thank you skiluvr - another ThinkPad T41 clean install successful.
(http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=971050)

CellAlive
March 12th, 2010, 08:14 AM

applications
accessories
terminal
in 'terminal window':
at prompt type:

fi

exit window, alt+f4
at prompt enter
sudo update-grub

After "sudo gedit /usr/lib/grub/grub-mkconfig_lib" I get "command not found" or sometimes "[sudo] password for...." in return. Why? What am I doing wrong?

CellAlive
March 14th, 2010, 07:09 PM
My mistake! What a difference a small space could make betveen gedit and /usr.;)

jiri.ptacek
May 1st, 2010, 03:09 PM
thank you Skiluvr. that has solved this issue on my compaq nx5000.
and very good instructions too!

stuartsiegler
August 5th, 2010, 04:30 AM

This did not work for me (just deleting the line)

I had to manually enter the UUID of the disk (new, ext4)
in both the search line and the boot line

From there, the steps were good.

Thanks!

Big_Kiwi
August 28th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Hi all its been a while since I have been here, but with the advancements in Ubuntu Thought I would give it another go (espesily with what microsoft want for win7) Ok my problem is as above and when I make the changers my PC starts to reboot then the screen gos blank and PC stops working any ideas?

mistypotato
November 19th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Skiluvr's procedure did not work on my Dell Laptop

same error message ....

Booting a command list

error: Couldn't read file (note: too bad it doesn't say WHICH file :-() )

Press any key to continue..

(which loops back to boot menu)

I made sure the image files were in the boot directory...so all that's left is a corrupt image file or bad configuration file or UUID spec is wrong...but it's the same as on the previous version listed in the boot menu which boots fine.

I can boot 2.6.31-21-generic

but not...

2.6.31-22-generic

recovery mode yields the same error message.

Tried updating again...update succeeded....boot error persists.

hmmmm...should I have started my own thread....if so....sry :-(