PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] don't want password after hibernate / suspend -- Karmic

creeble
October 29th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Just installed 9.10 and hibernate and suspend finally work right on my Acer 3680!

But I'd like everything to be as simple as humanly possible -- never ask for any passwords (if possible). Auto-login works, I *think* I've got the default keyring working for wireless networking, now all I have to do is prevent the password dialog from coming up on suspend and hibernate, and this thing will work as simply as... my daughter's Macbook :)

I tried uncommenting LOCK_SCREEN in /etc/default/acpi-support to no avail; I don't think 9.10 uses this.

I hate to say it, but I think Canonical would be doing themselves a favor if they shipped the release with these absolute minimal password settings by default. May not work for corporate, but isn't that what they charge for?

albandy
October 29th, 2009, 06:38 PM
gnome-power-cmd suspend

creeble
October 29th, 2009, 06:47 PM
gnome-power-cmd suspend

I don't have a gnome-power-cmd -- but I have gnome-power-manager (which is running) and gnome-power-preferences, which doesn't have a setting for no lock screen after suspend.

????

albandy
October 29th, 2009, 06:51 PM
run it from console:
gnome-power-cmd suspend

if this works, simply add link to your menu calling this command.

creeble
October 29th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Sorry, no, there is no gnome-power-cmd on my system; can't run it from console/terminal/anywhere.

Is it from another package?

albandy
October 29th, 2009, 07:37 PM
sorry I didn't read you were using karmic, I'm in jaunty

sprince09
October 29th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Try System->Preferences->Screensaver and un-check the 'lock screen when screensaver is active'. I think that worked for me once in the past...

creeble
October 30th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Nope, Screensaver setting doesn't do it.

I installed this thing called Authorizations (PolicyKit), and there doesn't seem to be a setting there, either.

I suspect there's a suspend and hibernate script somewhere that I could patch, but it's apparently not using acpi any more in 9.10.

I want STUbunutu, for truly stupid people. You know, people who don't know what System->Preferences->IBus Preferences is for, as an example :)

I wonder if the Netbook edition is a little more streamlined wrt permissions?

creeble
October 30th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Found a workable solution!

Looks like NOT activating lock (which actually happens BEFORE suspend/hibernate) was considered a bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/428115

But that post led me to guess at gnome-session-manager (System->Preferences->Startup Applications), and just turning off Screensaver (along with Gnome Login Sound, and Keyring Manager, both annoying!).

I guess I can live without a screensaver (pretty anachronistic these days anyway). It comes back from suspend almost instantly now as well!

Hmm, I wonder what else I can live without... What's the Seahorse Manager?

glennric
October 31st, 2009, 05:05 PM
Found a workable solution!

But that post led me to guess at gnome-session-manager (System->Preferences->Startup Applications), and just turning off Screensaver (along with Gnome Login Sound, and Keyring Manager, both annoying!).

I guess I can live without a screensaver (pretty anachronistic these days anyway). It comes back from suspend almost instantly now as well!

If you do this will the computer still automatically suspend after the time period set in gnome-power-preferences? In Jaunty and before automatic suspend would only work if gnome-screensaver was active. Gnome-screensaver is what set the computer idle, and then gnome-power-manager would suspend the computer.

glennric
October 31st, 2009, 05:19 PM
I managed to get the password request to stop appearing after resuming from suspend in Karmic. I had to check both apps->gnome-power-manager->lock->use_screensaver_settings and apps->gnome-power-manager->lock->suspend. This of course is exactly the opposite behavior than what you would expect, but it works for me.

cmcanulty
October 31st, 2009, 05:42 PM
)Install Ubuntu tweak 2)go to security )check disable lock screen

glennric
October 31st, 2009, 06:48 PM
I managed to get the password request to stop appearing after resuming from suspend in Karmic. I had to check both apps->gnome-power-manager->lock->use_screensaver_settings and apps->gnome-power-manager->lock->suspend. This of course is exactly the opposite behavior than what you would expect, but it works for me.

Ok, this didn't work after all. It worked at first, but after rebooting it didn't work. I might have done something else that made it stop asking for the password. Anyway, I tried installing Ubuntu Tweak and doing what cmcanulty suggested, and that worked.

vanvoorenfamily
November 1st, 2009, 01:40 PM
)Install Ubuntu tweak 2)go to security )check disable lock screen

Hi Newbie here.

Where or how do Install Ubuntu tweak?
Where is security?

Thanks.

cmcanulty
November 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM
here is the link make sure you install correct version, key etc as page explains
http://ubuntu-tweak.com/downloads

espee838
November 2nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
i don't like having to enter my password after suspend hibernate either, i'm going to give this a try:

1. Run gconf-editor (ALT+F2 > gconf-editor)
2. apps> gnome-power-manager> lock
3. Uncheck Suspend and Hibernate

I dunno if it'll work, and i probably won't find out until tomorrow

apanloco
November 6th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I've tried it all, and I can confirm that what cmcanulty is proposing is the only solution that really works to remove the lock screen on resume in Karmic, to date.
/Apan

TheKorn2
November 9th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I've tried it all, and I can confirm that what cmcanulty is proposing is the only solution that really works to remove the lock screen on resume in Karmic, to date.
/Apan

Where in ubuntu tweak do you see any options that refer to this? I have tweak installed under Karmic, and the only relevant options are under system-> power management, then I have "enable lock screen when blank screen activates" turned off, but I still get a password prompt upon suspend resumption.

Not to mention all the other options in the menu don't actually work. (I have hibernate ticked off, but there it is on the menu, thumbing its nose at ubuntu tweak.)

cmcanulty
November 9th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Sounds like a bug or maybe you hyave something else set that overrides the tweak

TheKorn2
November 9th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Sounds like a bug or maybe you hyave something else set that overrides the tweak

You're missing the point. That option doesn't even sound like it should do what you're saying it does. I don't have blank screen selected as my screensaver. I shut screensavers off completely. (Unless I'm missing something here.)

cmcanulty
November 10th, 2009, 02:49 PM
some of the settings are under preferences-power also

TheKorn2
November 10th, 2009, 05:52 PM
some of the settings are under preferences-power also

It's almost like we're not using the same program. I don't know what version of tweak you're using (I'm using 0.4.9.2, which is apparently the latest) but I have absolutely nothing even close to this.

When I start tweak, I get five options... computer, applications, startup, desktop, personal, system. The only one that has anything about power management is under system.

The "preferences" button just has options about how tweak displays itself... colors, window height/width, and so-forth.

http://www.thekorn.net/temp/tweak.png

cmcanulty
November 10th, 2009, 06:27 PM
No I said look under preferences in top panel not tweak and some power settings are there

brk3
November 10th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Confirming the ubuntu tweak method works. BS that had to go to this much trouble though :/

See attached for where to enable the option.

cmcanulty
November 10th, 2009, 11:29 PM
maybe you didn't realize you should click unlock first in bottom right

slugicide
November 11th, 2009, 04:27 AM
So is there no solution to this? Other than install some tweaking program? It's really fµcked up on a netbook, where you want it to suspend often to save battery life.

bilderbuchi
November 12th, 2009, 06:55 PM
can one find out what the tweak program does? i figure it just adjusts some file, any way to find out which command is executed?

Jesus_Valdez
November 12th, 2009, 07:17 PM
gconf-editor -- apps -- gnome-power-manager -- lock

bilderbuchi
November 13th, 2009, 08:12 PM
those are all off, screensaver lock option is also off, but still it locks when waking from hibernate.

almalaci
November 14th, 2009, 01:46 AM
i can confirm the same. Everything unchecked under apps>gnome-power-manager>lock, also in the tweak program. Still asks for password.

almalaci
November 14th, 2009, 01:59 AM
But after a restart, it doesn't! :D