PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GNOME Keyboard Layout Applet Not Working

tripolitan
October 29th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Hello all,

I have setup the keyboard layout applet, in GNOME, to pick between two layouts (EN-default and Arabic). When I pick the Arabic layout, it does not work, I get English no matter what I picked. I have the necessary Arabic fonts installed, is there anything else that I may have removed, that the Keyboard applet needs?

Also on another desktop, the keyboard layout applet has to be set up every time I reboot the system (it resets to English with every re-boot) and has to be setup again to work for that session, until I reboot again.

On a third desktop system, the keyboard layout applet works flawlessly!! I switch between keyboard layouts on the fly, whenever I needed, even within the same application and same document.

All 3 desktops run GNOME on top of Hardy Heron. I add and remove packages all the time, this may have been a dependency package that I have accidentally removed, I just don't know which one.

p.s. Linux user since 1999 but this one stumped me!

UPDATE: I have just compared packages between the system that is working and the one that is not, all packages are identical.