PDA

View Full Version : Best IDE for ubuntu 9.04?

hockeyhead019
October 29th, 2009, 03:27 PM
hey guys,

ok so i've been programming on windows using eclipse and finally got tired of having to switch between my two OS's just to do some code work... so my question is, what is the best IDE for ubuntu? i've seen eclipse but i figured now is as good a time as any to see what everybody else is using and maybe give it a shot...

if you have a suggestion please tell me where to get it as well as how to install it.

cheers,
Jim

keplerspeed
October 29th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Well eclipse is also quite nice on ubuntu... but what languages are you working with?

For Python I use IDLE.
Fortan for goodness too is nice in eclipse. I would be suprised if your using fortran though....

hockeyhead019
October 29th, 2009, 03:33 PM
yea no fortan for me haha... mostly C++ and Java... posibly Python later on but not now

Simian Man
October 29th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Eclipse is my favorite when I want an IDE.

keplerspeed
October 29th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I that case, Eclipse might be the best for you using C++ and Java. Lots of options that I havnt used. Synaptic might be worth a search?

Dragonbite
October 29th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I'm using Visual Studio, but it isn't on Linux :(

hockeyhead019
October 29th, 2009, 03:49 PM
ok well i'll probably just stick with eclipse then guys.

thanks,
Jim

NoaHall
October 29th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I use geany, but eclipse is the best choice for you. (As you already know how)

Wistful
October 29th, 2009, 07:26 PM
This is a recursive talk, please search the forum accordingly and you will find your answer.

http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php

whirlwind
October 29th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Another +1 for geany for C/C++. I don't know if it can be considered a fully featured IDE, but it's light and easy to use.

Can+~
October 29th, 2009, 08:27 PM
yea no fortan for me haha... mostly C++ and Java... posibly Python later on but not now

Then eclipse is right on the spot:

1. Java
2. C/C++ in the cdt plugin
3. Python with the Pydev plugin.

Download it from the page, and not from the repository. (Oh, and ubuntu 9.10 came out today, you should check that out)