PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see in the next ubuntu?

karimruan
October 29th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I know Karmic is still pretty new, but what do you think should be included in the NEXT edition?

I would like to see the addition of the CNR repositories from free/linspire. I think that would be awesome! Also, I would like to see
it come with a GUI for installing from source. It wouldn't be that hard, you just start the GUI, and it asks you to open the ./configure file in it's directory. Then in configures, makes, and installs it for you. It would make it easier for windows user to install even more software, as alot of the stuff my windows friends like is only found as source, so it would keep them from thinking, linux is too hard for me!

Of course, for people like us, we could still compile from source, only because it is fun!

andymorton
October 29th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I know Karmic is still pretty new, but what do you think should be included in the NEXT edition?

I would like to see the addition of the CNR repositories from free/linspire. I think that would be awesome! Also, I would like to see
it come with a GUI for installing from source. It wouldn't be that hard, you just start the GUI, and it asks you to open the ./configure file in it's directory. Then in configures, makes, and installs it for you. It would make it easier for windows user to install even more software, as alot of the stuff my windows friends like is only found as source, so it would keep them from thinking, linux is too hard for me!

Of course, for people like us, we could still compile from source, only because it is fun!

1. Gnomenu installed by default.
2. I think Wine needs to be greatly improved. Most of the software I've tried to use it with won't work.
3. I'd like to see Pidgin come back as the default instant messenger. Empathy is nowhere near as good.

karimruan
October 29th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I agree with the gnomenu, I like it alot!

What else my fellow ubuntu fanatics?

Screwdriver0815
October 29th, 2009, 05:14 PM
the behaviour of the update manager should by default be the same as it was in all Ubuntu-releases before Jaunty.

the countdown for switching off the computer should be disabled by default, as it was in all releases before Jaunty.