PDA

View Full Version : Shooters as RPGs? Shooter RPGs? Or just plain shooters?

coldReactive
October 29th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Do you call RPG Shooters, Shooters, Shooter RPGs or RPGs?

CharlesA
October 29th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I think of something like Fallout 3 (which I'm playing now) as an RPG Shooter, but that's probably cuz it's got quests and character development like an RPG, but it's first person/third person view.

johnboy1313
October 29th, 2009, 03:43 PM
mass effect was an amazing shooter/rpg, i played it a waaaayyyy to much

coldReactive
October 29th, 2009, 05:20 PM
The real reason for this post is, you guessed it, the controversial Borderlands Genre.

CharlesA
October 29th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Lol @ RPS. That sounds rediculous.

XubuRoxMySox
October 30th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I play skeet and 5-stand. Real shooting. Real shotgun. Real fun!

-Robin

PurposeOfReason
October 30th, 2009, 01:07 AM
The real reason for this post is, you guessed it, the controversial Borderlands Genre.
Controversial? Please explain unless you mean what genre it is. It's a FPS with RPG like elements.

coldReactive
October 30th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Controversial? Please explain unless you mean what genre it is. It's a FPS with RPG like elements.

No, it's not a RPG at all according to GameFAQs and Neoseeker, it's just a shooter. But a lot of people at the PlayStation forums thinks its an RPG.

Xzallion
October 30th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Genres eventually blend, no matter what medium be it movies, music, literature, comics, or games. Games like Bioshock, Fallout 3, etc really fall more into the RPG section than the first person shooter section, but have elements of both.

I say they fall into the RPG section more because your level determines your abilities, while in a FPS your pysical skill at aiming determines your abilities. Thats how I catogorize them myself.

Anyways, its not controversial how they are labling its genre, just a differing of opinions.