PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrades in dual boot OS (windows and ubuntu)

aci016
October 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
i'm thinking of upgrading my windows vista -> windows 7 and/or my ubuntu 8.10 to karmic koala.

how would i go about upgrading one without changing/ruining the other? i mean, would changing from windows vista to windows 7 be as simple as inserting the cd and installing the new OS? and it wouldn't affect the ubuntu partition? (same goes for upgrading the ubuntu OS) or would i have to reformat and install everything??

thank you. :)

pricetech
October 29th, 2009, 02:47 PM
The ifrst thing you need to do is back up all your data before upgrading anything. (I know that's a "duh" but for some reason people forget)

I'd do the Vista to Windows 7 upgrade first. That will change the boot sector and keep you out of Ubuntu, but that can be fixed with steps found elsewhere on the forum. I'm not going to list or link anything here because it becomes irrelevant when you upgrade to Karmic since that upgrade will then change your boot sector back and you'll have GRUB with all its options again.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't done this so there may be some "gotchas" that I don't know about, but that is how it should, and would normally, work.

Good luck.