http://www.technewsworld.com/story/Windows-7-Is-a-Snooze-68503.html

BM

Eddie Wilson
October 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Good article.

pwnst*r
October 29th, 2009, 02:21 PM
moron alert:

An annoyance occurs each time I install a program. By default, the installation routine wants to put the folder entry in "C:/Program Files" even though Windows 7 is installed on drive D. I have to remember to change this default setting or take extra time to uninstall and reinstall the applications.

that has nothing to do with 7, so not sure why he's pointing that out in this article.

Bachstelze
October 29th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Still, the lack of a single killer app built into Windows 7 or a must-have new feature left me unconvinced about migrating to the new OS.

MS Paint is awesome in 7.

Seriously, H.264, MPEG-2 and VC-1 GPU-enabled video decoding out of the box, plus AAC, AC3 and DTS support out of the box as well are really nice for the average user who doesn't want to install codecs manually. Also driver updates throught Windows Update are nice, saves the hassle of regularly browsing nvidia's website to see if there was an update.

pwnst*r
October 29th, 2009, 02:32 PM
MS Paint is awesome in 7.

Seriously, H.264, MPEG-2 and VC-1 GPU-enabled video decoding out of the box, plus AAC, AC3 and DTS support out of the box as well are really nice for the average user who doesn't want to install codecs manually. Also driver updates throught Windows Update are nice, saves the hassle of regularly browsing nvidia's website to see if there was an update.

that's been the case for me in Vista as well.

Bachstelze
October 29th, 2009, 02:34 PM

Was it? I don't remember it (but I haven't used Vista for very long).

Giant Speck
October 29th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I wish Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/) (Nasdaq: MSFT) didn't raise the equipment ante required to run its new operating system.

They didn't raise the ante; the requirements for Windows 7 are basically the same as the requirements were for Windows Vista.

pricetech
October 29th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Made for an interesting read. There were a couple of other articles linked there as well. What I liked about this article in particular is the fact that the author has used, and therefore knows something about, other OSs. It's hard to make a "comparison" when you only know about one option.

NoaHall
October 29th, 2009, 02:44 PM

Me too, but it never installed correctly.

pwnst*r
October 29th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Me too, but it never installed correctly.

interesting. installs every time for me.

Giant Speck
October 29th, 2009, 03:24 PM
interesting. installs every time for me.

That must mean it works for everyone, amirite?

omar8
October 29th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Poor article, he probably didn't even give Windows 7 a chance before judging, like how most people review Linux/Ubuntu...

pwnst*r
October 29th, 2009, 04:22 PM
That must mean it works for everyone, amirite?

nope, but works for most.

MicrosoftFan
October 29th, 2009, 04:44 PM
moron alert:

An annoyance occurs each time I install a program. By default, the installation routine wants to put the folder entry in "C:/Program Files" even though Windows 7 is installed on drive D. I have to remember to change this default setting or take extra time to uninstall and reinstall the applications.

that has nothing to do with 7, so not sure why he's pointing that out in this article.

It looks like he's somehow screwed something up; Windows will normally call the partition it's installed on "C:" even if it's not the first volume on the PC.

uberdonkey5
October 29th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Review seemed a bit biased..

However, did draw attention to a main point in choosing an operating system... immediate useability. When it comes down to it, most of us want to be able to do the same tasks we could do before, just as fast (i.e. not having to relearn something) but we also want NEW features and we want the COMPUTER to be able to do everything better and faster. I am not sure why they don't continue with the XP model of appearance and behaviour, but slip in all the extras in the background (faster, extra features.. but do not distract from the previously known features).

I think ubuntu does well with getting this balance, and indeed there is no real pressure to upgrade in ubuntu (many people still have dapper.. up until this weekend I will still have Hardy). I think someone that has used Dapper could use Karmic in no time at all.

NoFearDJB
October 29th, 2009, 06:10 PM
review seemed a bit biased..

+1