PDA

View Full Version : Win7 style Aero Snap Effects for Compiz

gotsanity
October 29th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Ok boys and girls, get ready to write this down.

First you need to make sure you have the following installed:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager wmctrl

While that is running find out how big the dimensions of your screen is (Mine has a width of 1600 pixels by a height of 1200 pixels). Write these down you will need them later.

Next, open compizconfig settings manager by clicking on System > Preferences > Compizconfig Settings Manager

At the very top is a button labeled Commands. Select it.

Wmctrl will do the window sizing via the following command:

wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -e <Gravity>,<X>,<Y>,<Width>,<Height>

Gravity: Leave this 0.
X,Y: This is the top left position of the window (AKA: Where to start drawing the window.)
Width,Height: How large the window should be drawn.

Input the following (Adjusting the totals for the dimensions of your screen):

Command Line 0
wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -e 0,0,0,800,1155
Command Line 1
wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -e 0,800,0,800,1155
Command Line 2
wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -e 0,0,0,1600,1155

And the final steps. Switch to the Edge Bindings tab and select the following edges:

Run Command 0 - Left
Run Command 1 - Right
Run Command 2 - Top

Last step: Click Back and then click on General Options. Set your Edge Trigger Delay to something you find comfortable with. Mine is set at 400.

Only disadvantages I have come across is that if you let the cursor hover too long over a hot point you will accidentally start resizing whatever window you have active. Also, there is a quirk with some windows that will not allow them to resize to the correct size (I am assuming due to the size of the widgets within the window).

Bonster
November 8th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Interesting, I usually use the compiz tile feature for the snap of the two windows. but ill give this a try see how it goes cheers =)

t.rei
November 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM
wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -e 0,0,0,1600,1155

Is there any way to not use hard-coded values but get MIN/MAX values of the screen the window is currently on?
I have a "maximum pain" setup here: 3 screens, all different resolutions. ;)

zlatkart
November 8th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Is there any way to not use hard-coded values but get MIN/MAX values of the screen the window is currently on?
I have a "maximum pain" setup here: 3 screens, all different resolutionsYes, try this:

http://gtk-apps.org/content/show.php/ctrlwm?content=114565

(But it should be also possible with wmctrl: toggle MaximizedHorizontal (something like this). Read wmctrl --help for more info on this)

aardvark4
August 9th, 2010, 06:19 AM
For anyone still looking, the non hard-coded version for maximizing works as:

wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b add,maximized_vert,maximized_horz

via

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/11/aero-snap-ubuntu-linux.html

MathMcC
October 28th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Only disadvantages I have come across is that if you let the cursor hover too long over a hot point you will accidentally start resizing whatever window you have active.

Sorry for dragging up this old thread. But has anyone found a workaround for this? Its highly annoying!

davidinsaskatoon
October 29th, 2010, 05:49 AM
...or you could use Kubuntu. It has an "Aero Snap" workalike built in as a default.