PDA

View Full Version : What Google products do you use?

HappinessNow
October 29th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Gmail (including Google Documents and Google Calendar)
Google Voice
Google Wave
Google Chrome
Google Android OS
YouTube
Picasa
Google Earth
Blogger
iGoogle

This is a multiple choice enabled poll

keplerspeed
October 29th, 2009, 08:29 AM
gmail
blogger
google earth sometimes.

It is now a poll great!

HappinessNow
October 29th, 2009, 08:31 AM
gmail
blogger
google earth sometimes.

Poll? That would be fun. It's not a poll atm.Now it's a poll...

List in a post any Google products that didn't make it in the poll

LookTJ
October 29th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Gmail
Search
Voice
YouTube
Calendar
Wave
Docs/Writely(when there's no way of installing a word processor, example someone's else computer without permission to install OO.o, if no Word, prompts my mind to make an ethical decision. Or needs things done quickly)
Reader.
Chrome - from time to time

hmm what else? :P

Bachstelze
October 29th, 2009, 09:00 AM
None. Yes, not even Search.

RichardLinx
October 29th, 2009, 09:02 AM
None. Yes, not even Search.

What search engine do you use?

keplerspeed
October 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Sure, I could live without it, but I find gmail fantastic. It's free, its good.

I am interested, is there some philosophical or political reason for not for using anything google related, Bachstelze?

Giant Speck
October 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Google
Gmail
YouTube
Google Chrome (including Chromium on Linux)

That's pretty much it.

Giant Speck
October 29th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Sure, I could live without it, but I find gmail fantastic. It's free, its good.

I am interested, is there some philosophical or political reason for not for using anything google related, Bachstelze?

I'm guessing he's concerned with Google's "questionable" privacy policies.

keplerspeed
October 29th, 2009, 09:07 AM
That was my assumption. To a degree, nothing is private anyway, so I dont get too concerned.

Bachstelze
October 29th, 2009, 09:10 AM

We know all too well the damages the Microsoft monopoly has done to the software world. I don't want to help raising another monopoly on the Internet.

Also privacy, but really, one cannot expect absolute privacy on the Internet anyway, so that's not that big a deal.

keplerspeed
October 29th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Fair. Google is slowly becoming THE internet for may users. So what search engine do you use, to echo a previous poster?

Bachstelze
October 29th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Fair. Google is slowly becoming THE internet for may users. So what search engine do you use, to echo a previous poster?

Mostly Yahoo.

keplerspeed
October 29th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Aslong as it's not bing..

Bachstelze
October 29th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Also, frankly, I don't really need any of the fancy stuff they added lately. GMail? I have my own mailserver. Chrome? I have Firefox. Google Earth? Might be fun, but what is it really useful for? I could go on for all of them.

Giant Speck
October 29th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Aslong as it's not bing..

Bing is actually pretty nice.

handy
October 29th, 2009, 10:29 AM
We know all too well the damages the Microsoft monopoly has done to the software world. I don't want to help raising another monopoly on the Internet.

Also privacy, but really, one cannot expect absolute privacy on the Internet anyway, so that's not that big a deal.

I agree. [Edit:] Partly. /edit

I do use YouTube, search the web via Scroogle SSL, which protects me from the monstrous (& growing moment by moment) Google database.

I have my browser set to ask me about every cookie, I automatically block them all, except when I need them to access a forum or similar.

I also run Privoxy out of my IPCop/Copfilter headless firewall/router box, which also adds some more limitations as to what personal information can be gathered from our home LAN.

I'd still be shocked to see just what they (Google & others) know about me & my family though. :(

[Edit:]
Monopolies are always very bad news, no matter how many good things that they may seem to do for us.

Because our privacy is perpetually in a state of compromise whilst we use the internet, that does NOT mean it is acceptable, or that we should be lulled into a very false sense of security; or that we should think ourselves impotent re our collective ability to change the situation.

HappinessNow
October 30th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Mostly Yahoo.I used to use Yahoo search/mail exclusively until I actually got majorly screwed over by Yahoo but that is a different story.

Now I exclusively use gmail and Google search...

Other Google products I have come to use,

Google Chrome - I actually prefer Google Chrome over Firefox

Google Voice - the only phone number you ever need (but only available in the USA)

When the Google Chrome OS comes out I plan to use the Google Chrome OS exclusively.

HappinessNow
October 31st, 2009, 09:53 AM
I agree. [Edit:] Partly. /edit

Nice to see your edit.