PDA

View Full Version : why is UNR maximising everything?

ricardopresto
October 29th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Hi

Does anyone know how to stop UNR opening every window maximised by default? Usually it's not a problem but with some apps - IDLE for example - even dialog boxes open maximised! Using Compiz at the moment but have the same problem with Metacity.

richard

wilee-nilee
October 29th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Hi

Does anyone know how to stop UNR opening every window maximised by default? Usually it's not a problem but with some apps - IDLE for example - even dialog boxes open maximised! Using Compiz at the moment but have the same problem with Metacity.

richard

I believe if you go to the start-up applications in preferences and tick it off, that will fix the maximising. I don't know if you have to log off or restart to get it turned off.

ricardopresto
October 29th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I believe if you go to the start-up applications in preferences and tick it off, that will fix the maximising. I don't know if you have to log off or restart to get it turned off.

That's fixed it. Thanks mate :D

gjoellee
October 29th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Hi

richard

I can tell you why... UNR (Ubuntu Netbook Remix) is designed for netbooks. Netbooks have small screens at you save screen space by maximizing every window (same as maximize using F11).

Katalog
October 29th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I don't think you have to completely disable Maximus altogether if you don't want to. I believe there is a setting in gconf editor where you can disable this behavior on a per application basis (i.e. Pidgin), It's just been so long since I've done it that I can't remember exactly where it is. I'll have to poke around and see if I can find it again and report back (in the event anyone's interested).

EDIT: Found it. If you go into gconf editor under "apps" and select "maximus" there is a key that you can edit called "exclude_class". Just right click on it, select "Edit Key" and then click "Add" in the dialog box and you should be able to add a new value for the app that you don't want to be affected.