PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu on BBC news (Interview)

OMJD
October 29th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Hey,

Has anyone seen the interview regarding Ubuntu on the BBC news website? A BBC reporter asked a Ubuntu representative a number of questions related to Ubuntu.

Click the link below to watch:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8327082.stm

I did find it interesting, but personally, I think it could have been done much better. I was expecting the Ubuntu representative to really "sell" the product, (for lack of a better word) but instead, he pretty much confirmed most of the negative beliefs which many people have towards the operating system.

For example, the Ubuntu representative stated that software written for Microsoft and OS X will not work on Ubuntu. This does indeed have some substance, but why focus on a negative? This negative should have been immediately turned into a positive by pointing out that there is a workaround. This could have been achieved by stating that many applications can run on Ubuntu under Wine. Obviously for the purpose of the interview, this could be simplified by stating that "It is possible for Windows software to run on Ubuntu by using software which is designed to make some software for Windows compatible with Ubuntu."

Also, his definition of Open Source was very weak, and completely misleading. You would think they would get this right, considering that being Open Source is one of Ubuntu's key principles!

Ubuntu had a real opportunity to market their product for free, and in my opinion they did not do a very good job at that in this case. On the other hand, it is good that Ubuntu is getting more attention from the press. Next time I think they should be better prepared. Marketing is not about pointing out or confirming negative aspects about your product. If a question about a negative aspect is asked, the answer should be a positive one. (where possible) I'm really surprised that this wasn't done here.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers

Dennis N
October 29th, 2009, 06:15 AM
In the article below the video, Mr. Kenyon of Canonical is reported saying that in China, Dell has "more than 40 models with Ubuntu available." I found that interesting given what they offer here - I see four models as of today.

hanzomon4
October 29th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Hey,

Has anyone seen the interview regarding Ubuntu on the BBC news website? A BBC reporter asked a Ubuntu representative a number of questions related to Ubuntu.

Click the link below to watch:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8327082.stm

I did find it interesting, but personally, I think it could have been done much better. I was expecting the Ubuntu representative to really "sell" the product, (for lack of a better word) but instead, he pretty much confirmed most of the negative beliefs which many people have towards the operating system.

For example, the Ubuntu representative stated that software written for Microsoft and OS X will not work on Ubuntu. This does indeed have some substance, but why focus on a negative? This negative should have been immediately turned into a positive by pointing out that there is a workaround. This could have been achieved by stating that many applications can run on Ubuntu under Wine. Obviously for the purpose of the interview, this could be simplified by stating that "It is possible for Windows software to run on Ubuntu by using software which is designed to make some software for Windows compatible with Ubuntu."

Also, his definition of Open Source was very weak, and completely misleading. You would think they would get this right, considering that being Open Source is one of Ubuntu's key principles!

Ubuntu had a real opportunity to market their product for free, and in my opinion they did not do a very good job at that in this case. On the other hand, it is good that Ubuntu is getting more attention from the press. Next time I think they should be better prepared. Marketing is not about pointing out or confirming negative aspects about your product. If a question about a negative aspect is asked, the answer should be a positive one. (where possible) I'm really surprised that this wasn't done here.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers

Only geeks like the word workaround, everyone else likes plan old work

Paddy Landau
October 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Has anyone seen the interview regarding Ubuntu on the BBC news website?
Yes.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1303292