PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu SDK

sudoer541
October 29th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I thought ubuntu had its own SDK since its open source etc. Now I read on ubuntu.com that canonical created a tool called "Quickly" to help programmers build apps for ubuntu. I am wondering, will ubuntu software center be lick Apple's app store? anyway here is what I read.

Ubuntu 9.10 also welcomes a host of features that make it the best platform for developers, whether professional or casual. Developers interested in writing applications that run on Ubuntu now have a simplified toolset called 'Quickly' which makes it fun and easy by automating many of the mundane tasks involved in programming. Quickly also helps users 'package' the code and distribute it through the Ubuntu software repositories. Ubuntu developers will now find all code hosted in the Bazaar version control system, which is part of the fully open source Launchpad collaboration website. It's never been easier to develop on or for Ubuntu.

Can someone give more info about this?

Frak
October 29th, 2009, 02:33 AM
I too would like to know about this. A good SDK + IDE would be great for Ubuntu.

nowin4me
October 29th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Done a quick Google for "ubuntu quickly" and it came up with this.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Quickly

Have a look for more info!

sudoer541
October 29th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Done a quick Google for "ubuntu quickly" and it came up with this.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Quickly

Have a look for more info!

Thanks for the link! the wiki did not give much details but I am sure when koala is released we will have more info.

sudoer541
October 29th, 2009, 04:13 AM
One more question. I thought ubuntu already had an SDK since its open source and people can lookup the code and they can figure how their apps might work on it. is that correct?

RichardLinx
October 29th, 2009, 04:15 AM
One more question. I thought ubuntu already had an SDK since its open source and people can lookup the code and they can figure how their apps might work on it. is that correct?

I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Not all free software is made specifically for Ubuntu.

coldReactive
October 29th, 2009, 04:15 AM

I summon Exhibit A!

You clearly have a lot to learn before you do that. :popcorn: Ubuntu is not one program with source code, it consists of hundreds of programs and items, like the kernel, GNOME, etc. so if you wanted the source code you would have to find those individually. As far remastering Ubuntu, you don't need the source code. See this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869659).

Frak
October 29th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Not all free software is made specifically for Ubuntu.
It' doesn't. I wish it did though. I'd definitely develop for Ubuntu more if it had an SDK + IDE (official IDE, even if it is based on Eclipse). How cool would it be to just insert a simple control for media instead of having to include a crapload of includes just to play a simple movie.

phrostbyte
October 29th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Quickly is a tool to assist you with common programming tasks. It's not an IDE or SDK. It's very hard to compare it to anything currently existing, it might be one of a kind. :)

phrostbyte
October 29th, 2009, 04:20 AM

There is no single way to develop software on Ubuntu, and neither for any other OS. What exactly do you want to develop?

MaxIBoy
October 29th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Here's a good guide to developing for Ubuntu:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/

...And that's about as Ubuntu-specific as you're likely to get. For that matter, it's as Ubuntu-specific as you should get.

juancarlospaco
October 29th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Real Developers can write programs with the simplest editor or even paper and pen.

RichardLinx
October 29th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Real Developers can write programs with the simplest editor or even paper and pen.
Alan Turing was writing a chess program before computers even existed:

In 1948, Turing, working with his former undergraduate colleague, D. G. Champernowne, began writing a chess program for a computer that did not yet exist. In 1952, lacking a computer powerful enough to execute the program, Turing played a game in which he simulated the computer, taking about half an hour per move. The game was recorded.
Well, before a computer actually worth mentioning existed. Punch-card days.. :D

juancarlospaco
October 29th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Turing played a game in which he simulated the computer

Yes, Virtualization isn't a new thing.
:)

j7%<RmUg
October 29th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Iv read up about quickly, i was interested as soon as i read about it in the 9.10 beta release notes.

All it really does is bring together bash, bzr, a text editor and glade. It then provides easy commands to design, produce and publish applications. Its really more of a tool for beginner developers, im not using it since i already use those tools separately.

You can find it on launchpad:

https://launchpad.net/quickly

They just released 0.2.5 the other day. Im pretty sure 0.2.4 is included in the karmic repos though.

Best description iv ever heard about a developer, nice one.