PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with installing Jaunty and Karmic on new PC

Sennaista
October 29th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Today I finished building a new PC with these components:

Intel i5
Gigabyte P55M-UD2
4 GB RAM
ATI HD 4730
500 GB HDD

I tried to boot it with a Karmic 64 bit live CD and it gets through the hardware check and then nothing happens, the screen goes black and CD drive just stops working. I then tried to boot it with Jaunty 64 bit live CD and the same thing happened. I then booted it with an old Intrepid 32 bit live CD that I have and everything worked fine so I upgraded to Jaunty 32 bit and restarted. The same thing happened as before. Given that both versions of Jaunty fail to boot up I think it is safe to rule out a problem with 64 bit architecture. I have a hunch that it's graphics related problem but don't know what I can do.

Any ideas help would be appreciated.

stbear
October 29th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Did you try safe graphics mode?

Sennaista
October 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I used safe graphics mode and I was able to boot with Karmic 64 bit live CD and I'm installing Ubuntu. Will report back on my progress.

Sennaista
October 29th, 2009, 09:32 AM
That did the trick. Installation finished fine and I've also downloaded and installed the ATI drivers without any problems. Thanks for helping.