PDA

View Full Version : ShipIt confuses me ..

OpenGuard
October 29th, 2009, 12:30 AM
1 CDs requested on 2009-10-16. 1 CDs were approved and sent to the shipping company on 2009-10-20. Please note requests usually take from 4 to 6 weeks to deliver, depending on the country of shipping.

If they sent it out on 20th, I'll get an RC or what ? :-s

en soph
October 29th, 2009, 12:31 AM
maybe you'll get the 9.04...

yey
October 29th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Maybe they already had 9.10 ready and they held on to it just to build suspense and media attention, and that's why you will get 9.10. lol

cariboo
October 29th, 2009, 02:48 AM
You can check the status of your order by going to the shipit main page.

Cam42
October 29th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Maybe they already had 9.10 ready and they held on to it just to build suspense and media attention, and that's why you will get 9.10. lol
isn't that what MS does? Finish an OS a few months early, than sit back, relax, and watch the 'net go crazy?

Ms_Angel_D
October 29th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I personally take it to mean the order itself was approved and is sitting on the computer in line to have the address labels made for it once they start printing the 9.10 cd's.

In other words "yes you can have the cd's but you have to wait until they are being made for us to send them".

OpenGuard
October 29th, 2009, 11:38 AM
You can check the status of your order by going to the shipit main page.

That's the place where I got the quote ( first post ).

I personally take it to mean the order itself was approved and is sitting on the computer in line to have the address labels made for it once they start printing the 9.10 cd's.

In other words "yes you can have the cd's but you have to wait until they are being made for us to send them".

Ok, thank you - sounds quite logical :)

Johnsie
October 29th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Microsoft release their products early so techies can get some experience with it before the masses and also because shipment of a new version of Windows is much bigger than shipment of Ubuntu. It's actually quite good for techies because we can be ready before the release date. I'm a technet subscriber so I've had 3 months using the RTM and will be ready to support new users that are only getting it now ;-)

IMO shippit should only send cds to people who cannot access the internet or live in countries where Internet access is very expensive. You can buy Ubuntu on Ebay for £1 or download it for free in most cases so why waste money sending the cd's out when that money could be spent developing better software or on adverstising?

jpeddicord
October 29th, 2009, 05:49 PM

Right - think of the date as something like an order confirmation, not necessarily shipping.