PDA

View Full Version : How many Linux users know how to program? [POLL]

ColdLunch
October 28th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Just wondering what percentage of the Linux user population knows how to program.

marchwarden
October 28th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Does VBA count as programming?

lethalfang
October 28th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Just wondering what percentage of the Linux user population knows how to program.

Does MATLAB count?
I can't look into the linux source code to modify it, if that's what you mean.
(Well, I could, but it'll only make things worse.)

akiratheoni
October 28th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I can't :P I've tried Javascript, HTML, and a little bit of PHP but it's just not for me. Yes I know that that's not technically programming, it's scripting, but still. I also took a DarkBASIC course when I was in middle school and I didn't really like it. I mean eventually I will probably learn it but right now I don't know how.

rockstarrem
October 28th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I consider PHP programming, so yeah I can program if that counts.

j.bell730
October 28th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I can't :P I've tried Javascript, HTML, and a little bit of PHP but it's just not for me. Yes I know that that's not technically programming, it's scripting, but still. I also took a DarkBASIC course when I was in middle school and I didn't really like it. I mean eventually I will probably learn it but right now I don't know how.

Yeah, DarkBASIC isn't that good. I tried it before, but I didn't really like it either. But, learning Python was more fun for me, and so was Javascript.
I suppose I'm more of a scripting language person, though.

speedwell68
October 28th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Yes, but not in anything of any relevance. At college I learned Pascal, edited in VI, using Wyse terminals on an old Zilog minicomputer. I can code Cobol and HTML too.

ninjapirate89
October 28th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I know html and css. I can also look at basic javascript and php stuff and usually figure out what it does and how to change it.

dragos240
October 28th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I know:

Simple PHP
Simple java
Simple HTML
BASH
A little C++

I voted no. I'm pretty bad at it.

ElSlunko
October 28th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I can't :(

Johnsie
October 28th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Hmmm... So Ubuntu is mainly an OS for techies?

JBAlaska
October 29th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I can stop the flashing clock on a VCR...does that count?

Edit: Before the spelling police get me lol

ninjapirate89
October 29th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I can stop the flashing clock on a VCR...doe's that count?

I would say so :P

Johnsie
October 29th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Cwock is sill bwinking!!!

OpenGuard
October 29th, 2009, 12:12 AM
To know how to program isn't the same as being a programmer. What are we talking about here ?
I know how to program, yet it doesn't make me a programmer, who should know not only the syntax, but have a deep understanding of how something ( a piece of code ) should act like ( without knowing the proper syntax ).

speedwell68
October 29th, 2009, 12:18 AM
To know how to program isn't the same as being a programmer. What are we talking about here ?
I know how to program, yet it doesn't make me a programmer, who should know not only the syntax, but have a deep understanding of how something ( a piece of code ) should act like ( without knowing the proper syntax ).

I concur, I can program but I am not a programmer. I can design websites but I am not a web designer.

Johnsie
October 29th, 2009, 12:18 AM
A programmer is someone who does the act of programming. It doesn't matter how good or bad you are. There are professional programmers and amateur programmers. I'm a professional programmer because I get paid to do it, but before I started full-time programming I was an amateur programmer because I did it as a hobby.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 29th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I have done programming in the past; however, not very much lately. I can't call myself a programmer. I am primarily a manager these days. If I were to try to be a programmer again, I would need a manual close by or bookmarked. I voted yes; because, I know how to program. However, I am not a programmer these days.

I've done Analog Computer patch cord programming (you aren't going to find examples of the source code for that stuff :D); PDP-11 machine language programming; 6800, 8080, and Z80 assemble language programming; high-level programming in languages like FORTRAN, BASIC, C, PERL, Java; and my memory fails me on the rest. I've done HTML and XML but I don't consider that programming.

Yes, I'm fairly darn old :D.

meho_r
October 29th, 2009, 01:23 AM
The only code I can write is LaTeX but that doesn't count I guess. And a little bit bash.

Zoot7
October 29th, 2009, 01:40 AM
C, Matlab, VHDL and Bash (taught myself after I started with Ubuntu) are the main ones I know. I keep meaning to learn php for web development, but never get around to it.

wubiboy
October 29th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I'm new to linux but not to php, cold fusion, MSSQL, MySQL, VB, Colbalt and C++.

Heck. I still have a Comodore 64 and a Timex Sinclair that runs like a top and did all the programming on that.

Will get the hang of this linux stuff but I'm really getting old now.

I was born in the night but not last night.:D

L

coldReactive
October 29th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I barely know how to program, if at all.

Big Iain
October 29th, 2009, 01:43 AM
the whole point of ubuntu is that you don't need to be a programmer to use it and i think the pole shows that quite well

nu2this
October 29th, 2009, 01:46 AM

I don't know anything about program writing. I know I've re-written some scripts,but only after being shown what & how to write.
So while Ubuntu isn't mainly for techies, I would say that techies are more aware of it. You're average Joe Enduser,just wants to do emails,facebook, maybe watch videos, & games too. As such he cares little to nothing & knows little to nothing about what his OS is. That is until his PC gets a virus then he might begin to care.

tom66
October 29th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Python counts, I hope.

But even so, I can still work with PHP, SQL + MySQL extensions, C(++), Perl, limited Lisp/Scheme and JavaScript. I can also write simple regular expressions.

kk0sse54
October 29th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Nope, just doesn't interest me that much and as such I have better things to do with my time than learn how.

tkblackbelt
October 29th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I know vb,simple html, and some c++

samjh
October 29th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Depends on what "programming" is. But yes, I definitely know how to program (as in software engineering).

whoop
October 29th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I've even written some closed source commercial apps..... eeeeew!!!
That was a long time ago, okay :p

FuturePilot
October 29th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Does shell scripting count?

Redundant Username
October 29th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I started learning Bash and PHP, but I never finished because I didn't need to use it. If I had a sever to play with, it'd be an entirely different story.

Frak
October 29th, 2009, 03:20 AM
As in Software Engineering? Yes.

RichardLinx
October 29th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I voted no, but I see a lot of people have counted scripting and mark-up languages which is where I would be. I know enough Python to right some pretty simple programs (like a simple game) and I think just about anyone can write a webpage in HTML...

dmglouis
October 29th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Hmm... my programming experience consists entirely of a spin-off of C++, RESOLVE/C++. I'm pretty good at that.

barthel
October 29th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Let's see...

I started with BASIC on teletype timeshare via acoustic modem. (Dial the phone, listen for the synch signal and put the handset in the modem's cradle.) Paper tape, too!

I did BASIC and FORTRAN in college. DEC lineprinters at 100 baud. (Sweet!) Keypunch. Later, we actually got CRTs (woo hoo!).

During my C=64 years, there was BASIC, of course and 6510 machine language. I used to write the code directly in memory via the Epyx Fast Load cartridge's ML monitor. Eventually I wimped out and got an assembler. Also SuperBase, if you count database languages.

During my Amiga years, there was ARexx and C.

Professionally, I've used ARexx (and other Rexx dialects), various shell dialects, SQL, VBA, a bit of Perl.

I've dabbled in Lisp, Python, and other languages.

So I'd have to say, yes, I think I do know how to program. :D

barthel
October 29th, 2009, 06:04 AM

No--and we're trying hard to make Ubuntu novice-friendly. It's just that Linux has historically drawn the techie crowd, so there are more of us grandfathered in.

In my case, that's literally true as I have 2 grandchildren... :D

MaxIBoy
October 29th, 2009, 07:28 AM
There are two kinds of people in the world... those who know how to program, and those who don't vote in silly polls about programming.

Does VBA count as programming?No.

PurposeOfReason
October 29th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Yes I can. I wish it wasn't as big a focus of the CS major as it is, I really want to be a sys or database admin.

Sand & Mercury
October 29th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I don't know how to do it. I've taken classes on Delphi and Visual Basic, but beyond that, I couldn't actually code and compile an application with any real purpose. I also know CSS and HTML as it's part of my trade, but those languages are so simple I'd hardly count them.

Nevon
October 29th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I'd say I know some PHP, Python and Java, but I've also dabbled a little bit with other languages such as Ruby, Perl and Lua.

GeneralZod
October 29th, 2009, 11:22 AM

If you're basing that on the poll results, remember that this is a pretty small and self-selecting poll :)

Eisenwinter
October 29th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I can program a bit of Perl. Not very advanced, though.

Johnsie
October 29th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Yeah, it's not a scientific poll for Linux in general. In fact the way the subject was worded the topic might've only attracted programmers any way. I would assume that most people on this forum would be technical minded though, as you wouldn't use an operating system forum for general chat unless you were interested in computing :-)