PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] One Bash Question, one Awk Question.

rob86
October 28th, 2009, 10:08 PM
My first question is about awk. How do I get awk to round a number, or cut off some digits? I want a number like 0.55s but instead I'm getting something like 0.554354523s, too long!

My second question is about bash. How can I make a simple list/array of IP addresses/urls and then select an item from the array at random?

like,

urls = [www.websiteone.com,www.websitetwo.com,www.ubuntufo rums.com]

and I'd use something like this to read it: $url[rand(0,len(urls)-1)]

I know that's (probably) wrong syntax since I don't know much about bash, but that's the general idea of what I want to happen.

Thanks!

kaibob
October 29th, 2009, 01:29 AM
My first question is about awk. How do I get awk to round a number, or cut off some digits? I want a number like 0.55s but instead I'm getting something like 0.554354523s, too long!
I'm not all that knowledgeable with awk, but I believe you can use printf to round numbers. For example, the following does basic math calculation and rounds the result to 3 places:

awk 'BEGIN {printf "%.3f\n", 20/3 }'

There are some awk experts in this forum and hopefully they will be able to provide more information.

EDIT: I just noticed that this thread is marked solved, so perhaps the OP has resolved the issue on his own.

benj1
October 29th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I'm not all that knowledgeable with awk, but I believe you can use printf to round numbers. For example, the following does basic math calculation and rounds the result to 3 places:

awk 'BEGIN {printf "%.3f\n", 20/3 }'

There are some awk experts in this forum and hopefully they will be able to provide more information.

EDIT: I just noticed that this thread is marked solved, so perhaps the OP has resolved the issue on his own.

yeah thats correct, its basically the same as C's printf.

@op
re arrays if this is related to the awk question, you can use arrays in awk

array[0]="hello"
the arrays can even be named whatever so

array[hello]=0
i believe bash arrays use a simililar syntax although you can only index by number

ghostdog74
October 29th, 2009, 01:54 AM
i believe bash arrays use a simililar syntax although you can only index by number
bash 4.0 now has associative arrays. FYI

rob86
October 29th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Thanks for the printf I was looking at printf but wasn't sure how to use it. I figured it out now though. I don't need help for the arrays now, I figured it'd be easier to just read a random line from a file.