PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Boot After Update

Russell_S
October 28th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Hopefully someone can offer some advice on a problem that has occurred tonight.

I have a Dell D600 laptop that is running Ubuntu 9.04 with no issues since it was installed in April. Tonight it booted up fine and the update manager appeared indicating that there were updates available. I told it to go ahead and install the updates after which it said a reboot was required. I told it to reboot and now it gets stuck at the BIOS screen with the following message:

Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS

This error has never come up before and nothing else has changed on the laptop.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why it has done this and how to overcome it.

Many thanks

Russell

arrange
October 28th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Have a look at this link - it contains a comprehensive description of the problem:
http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/p15.html#18

Russell_S
October 29th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the link. What I don't understand is why the laptop has been working fine for 6 months and has now decided to post this error. I did google this problem before posting here but all the info about this error appeared to be related to it appearing during the initial install.

Between the machine working fine & not working, the BIOS hasn't changed, the HDD or partitions havn't changed and no hardware has been added or removed. So I just don't understand what has happened to cause this.

Anyway, I'll have a good look through that article you linked to and then decide the best course of action.

Russell