PDA

View Full Version : users of gnucash and google android

scottac
October 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I currently own a t-mobile g1 phone which is running android 1.6.

I have also started using gnucash to track my finances.

Would anybody be interested in an android app that would allow you to record transactions on your android device and then have them sync to your gnucash account on your gnucash machine?

I have been thinking about starting to code a simple app that would do exactly that.

What would the interest level be in an app like this?

scottuss
October 28th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Sounds perfect! I'd definitely download this. It would be Open Source, I presume? ;)

scottac
October 28th, 2009, 09:07 PM
yes definitely open source...

scottuss
October 29th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Cool! Yeah, I'd definitely download it (and promote it) :D

moulari
November 12th, 2009, 10:22 AM
+1 for using and promoting

murderslastcrow
November 12th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I would totally dig this. Anything to make Android more useful and have even more tie-ins with Linux specifically is a great idea.

iosephius
November 12th, 2009, 03:28 PM
As it lies right now, you would have to either buy one of the financial apps that import and export with csv, or use a free app that tentatively imports and export with *.qif. It would be cool to:

1. Use gnucash portable from the cell phone's flash drive for windows.
2. Read those files when mounted on a linux box.
3. Be able to modify those same files on the go, with a mobile interface.

Getting an app going that could read and operate on the same files that gnucash does would be a boon for the android platform. Would definitally jump at it.

tikurion
November 14th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Count me in!

guigoz9
December 23rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
Hello,

I'm fully interrested by such a function. I was looking for this without hope since monthes!

Could you keep us informed of your progresses?

If it's not asking too much, these functions would be fantastic too:
- auto use of the personalised accounts tables
- sync or local copy of gnucash reports
- import of files (quicken, money), to add new operations, and sync them later on Gnucash

But your suggest is so usefull for me... please do it if you can!

PS: I don't know if money is a question here. I would be ok to pay a few euros/dollars to get that application quickly and functionnal.

slaeyer
January 3rd, 2010, 11:22 PM
I like those ideas. . .

Dr. C
January 4th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Great idea. I take it could be ported to maemo. I am looking at getting a maemo phone such as the n900

PhoHammer
January 4th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I would be interested. I just tried out gnucash and I think it will be my new budgeting tool (I was
previously using a simple OO.o spreadsheet and google docs).

endotoxin
January 7th, 2010, 06:30 PM
This would be excellent! You have my attention! If you would like a donation to help fund the work on such a project, lemme know!

superid
January 13th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I've also been thinking of creating this application, and have been playing around with the Android SDK in hopes of getting the idea off the ground.

Pardon my asking, but what's your progress?

Thanks

David Valentine
January 26th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Yes! I'm about to kick the Quicken habit and try out GnuCash; assuming that's the ticket, I'd kick in some support as well.

Marcos.Rufino
February 3rd, 2010, 07:16 PM
I found this thread just after searching for gnucash for android. I'm craving to be able to see and edit my gnucash data from my Nexus One.

scook4242
February 15th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Yes, yes, yes. I'd pay for this. I've just been using a spreadsheet and want to move to the automation of gnucash. But it's a huge advantage to have a droid connection. Simple requests:
1) Can enter transactions easily into droid.
2) Can see budget consumption on droid

I'd be satisfied with a simple app that couldn't do any computation at all - just allow input, pass that to the desktop gnucash, and then display the output data that gnucash passed back.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
February 15th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I would rather have them integrate Jgnash - much better user interface and much smaller footprint than Gnucash.

I know I am a crank about this - but if I you are going to do it - do it with a better personal finance program than GnuCash.

:D

timjohn7
February 18th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Most definitely! And I'll bet that there would be 1000s of interested parties once this became available and publisised! Great idea!
And I'll fully support any other Ubuntu/Android integration too!

timjohn7
February 18th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Most definitely! And I'll bet that there would be 1000s of interested parties once this became available and publisised! Great idea!

suoko
February 21st, 2010, 09:36 PM
creation on simple csv files is not a too time consuming app
it would be really easy to upload it to gnucash afterwards
i'm using fileshare android app to create a small http server and let my pc upload files to it via webinterface

here is my though about using barcode app too ... where it applies

http://ricocensioni.wordpress.com/2010/02/21/andro-730-for-ladies/

horusofoz
April 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Another interested individual.

I'm currently using Money Manager EX but as development has stalled on it I've been thinking about GNUCash. There'll be a bit of a learning curve but there usually is.

IMO, having Android access would definitely be a drawcard for both GNUCash and Android. If you can make it I'd definitely be willing to pay for the app.

A potential issue a non-techie like myself can think of is how would the data be stored? Would one keep one's GNUCash database in the cloud and make edits to it from both Android or Ubuntu / Win / Mac / Whatever desktop / laptop and download a back up weekly or something. If so how would it be stored online? Google Docs? Ubuntu One? Drop Box? Maybe have functionality so that a user could select anyone of these? This is the only solution I can think of but as I said I'm a not technically inclined. If there is a simpler solution please don't hesitate to enlighten me (gently) :)

Any chance of a status update scottac? (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=722241)

snowch
May 7th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I've been thinking of creating an android app that will sync with gnucash too. For this i've been waiting for gnucash to release 2.4. This release will allow storage of gnucash in an sql database. It would be relatively trivial to hide the database behind a webservice allowing it to be accessed via an android app.

That was my plan anyway...

Excedio
May 7th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I would definately be interested! Any status updates?

mateomiguel
May 10th, 2010, 01:58 AM
I've been imagining this type of app. I would love it. Lets do it! I can help financially and/or with morale.

band2headboy
May 12th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Ok. How much i have pay for this? I don't have a android phone, but if you guys do something for android.. milestone or nexus one? haha

cya!

alexoverton
May 16th, 2010, 03:48 PM
add me to the list on app for Android - would pay for it and use it today - get on with it guys!(and gals) - you will make money and add yet another great tool to this huge market ....

good luck

Alex

jmjehl
June 19th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Hello,

anmoney is available in the market. Export QIF is compatible with "gnucash qif import".

It's the only free android application, gnucash compatible, i've found in the market ... but it's not an opensource application ...

There is another way with "financisto" which recently became opensource. No official qif export (only csv), no split, but the code seem's clean !
https://launchpad.net/financisto

Regards
Jean-Marie

mateomiguel
July 19th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I've also been imagining this kind of app. Any news on this? What can I do to help?

NimoTh
July 25th, 2010, 04:00 PM
This app would be what I need. I'd also love to work together on this project. Is anyone already working on it? Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

Martin

Excedio
July 25th, 2010, 05:42 PM
scottac (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=722241)

This user seemed to be interested in starting this project...however, they have not replied in quite some time. :-/

dmaxel
September 21st, 2010, 04:38 AM
I would be very interested in something like this as well.

sevka
September 28th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I going to buy some Android based cellphone and I use Gnucash. So I am very interested in Android gnucash app.

chamunks
November 9th, 2010, 04:44 AM
+1 Please do... I would like to know about this app when its finished. Also may I suggest that you do a donate version too that puts a little heart icon in the corner of your app that gives people a warm fuzzy feeling for supporting this app.

wayneschutz
November 16th, 2010, 12:50 PM
So whats going on here? Count me in too.... scottac, if you want to make it a community project, I'd be willing to help.

rednus
December 6th, 2010, 02:41 PM
All.. I am a user of GnuCash and Android.. and have started working on a companion application for this.. see my development thread..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10194489&mode=linear#post10194489

clevertomato
December 9th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Yes, interested.

cabez0n
December 9th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I would also be interested in this app.

Please post any progress you make

jeshifm
January 2nd, 2011, 12:05 PM
Count me in too. That would be perfect.

rahul_bhise
March 19th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I would also be interested in this app.
and ready to pay for it if its not free

ravisghosh
November 3rd, 2011, 08:33 PM
The project died even before starting :(

Goldiescorpio
November 3rd, 2011, 08:47 PM
Yeah...pity.
Just read the first post and was thinking: Oh for sure, count me in, then I saw the date, next page, next page...AH bummer :(

cariboo
November 3rd, 2011, 11:29 PM
Seeing as he project never got off the ground, this thread should be closed.