PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] updates

Rob P.
October 28th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I have just started with Ubuntu and because of hardware limitations I DL'd and installed ver. 8.04. Now I have a notice icon that says that there are 122 updates available.

Ok, I know that my version is old BUT, this computer is just for home use (web surfing, emailing stupid pics/vids to my vast list of friends, etc) so do I really need to DL all 122 updates? Some of these updates have names that do not indicate what they are about. Others are obviously not something I require (such as foreign language stuff). I don't do gaming so I don't need that stuff either.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to DL to make my system run efficiently and what to NOT DL?

lisati
October 28th, 2009, 07:48 PM
You don't have to download them all. One option is to work your way through the list (descriptions are usually provided if you click on the update's name) and uncheck any you think you don't need.

drs305
October 28th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Rob P,

Welcome to Ubuntu and the Ubuntu forums. :-)

For starters, you want to at least download the security updates. You can restrict what you see available as an update by opening Synaptic or Update Manager. Then Settings, Repositories, Updates tab. Keep the security tab ticked. You can then go to the Ubuntu Updates tab and untick all of them if you really want to.

That being said - with a new install there are usually a lot of updates. Since Hardy is relatively mature, if you endure the downloads once there probably won't be a great many more that you will have to download on a regular basis. If you can put up with the one download, you can leave things the way they are, wait a period of time, and then accomplish the steps in the first paragraph if you still feel the same way.

Rob P.
October 31st, 2009, 05:52 AM
Cool, thanks for the info. At this point I'm going to wipe my HD and reinstall Hardy as a sole OS for this PC. After that I'll do the updates because with the limited hardware on this PC there really isn't any room for them with an outdated WinME hogging up disk space for no reason.