PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Internet Connectivity & Mouse Issues After Upgrade

tacantara
October 28th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I took the chance and installed Karmic today. Initially, my wireless would not work, so I did a restart and rolled back to the 2.6.30 kernel. Wireless works fine now, but a new problem has surfaced - my mouse won't work. The cursor is in the middle of the screen, and refuses to move. I can access the terminal via Alt-F2. What do I need to tweak to get the mouse working again?

*** Computer specs are listed in my signature. My previoius OS was the Kubuntu flavor of 9.04, written for Dell computers. Could part of my problem be that I upgraded a Kubuntu variant with an Ubuntu variant? ***

UPDATE: I can connect via wired LAN to my router. I also replaced the network manager with wicd. Wireless is still not functioning under the 2.6.31 kernel. Any ideas on what is causing my wi-fi to fail?

tacantara
October 29th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I'm assuming that 9.10 as a RC wasn't quite ready for my machine. I found a Jaunty Live CD and booted with that, then re-partitioned my HDD and installed Jaunty in the new partition. This allowed me to keep the Karmic installation (and all my working files) without having to backup anything (dangerous, yet effective this time).

I will keep checking for Karmic updates, and hope that one day the right update will come in that fixes the wi-fi. If anyone has any suggestions for getting wi-fi to work in Karmic, please let me know. Other than that one issue, I'm pretty impressed with the new look and features.