PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] If your taskbar has disappeared.

megamasha
October 28th, 2009, 04:12 PM
This is something I accidentally posted in a thread prefixed [ubuntu], so here it is in the right place.

If your bar (application launcher, taskbar, system tray, digital clock etc.) at the bottom of the screen has gone missing in kubuntu/kde, and you want it back, try these steps:

1) You need to click 'add panel'. This should be in the right-click menu on the desktop. If it's there, click it and skip to step 5. If it's NOT there (you see things like 'Icons' and 'Refresh desktop') continue to step 2 below.

2) Right-click on the desktop and select 'appearance settings'. This should open up a 'Desktop settings - Plasma Workspace' dialogue.

3) In Desktop Activity at the top, where it says 'Type:', change 'Folder View' to 'Desktop' and press OK. Don't worry, you can change it back to Folder view again when you're finished if you like.

4) You should now be able to click 'Add Panel' as in step 1. Once you've done that, continue to step 5 below.

5) Now you should have a bar on one edge of your screen (mine was at the top). To move it back down to the bottom, right-click the bar, and click panel settings, then click and drag the 'Screen Edge' button to the bottom of the screen.

6) You can now add widgets by right clicking the bar and selecting 'Add Widgets' (you may have to unlock widgets first). The original Widgets are (from left to right):

Application launcher
Task Manager
Pager
Show Widget Dashboard
System Tray
Device Notifier
Digital Clock.

7) Done!

I hope this is helpful to someone else. Please feel free to copy/paste it to other threads or link here

Rob

webbdawg
December 28th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Thanks, It sure helped.

I can't believe it was so easy to destroy the orginal task bar. Seems pretty dumb.

Now if I can only figure out how to get the 2 desk tops back on the bar.

webbdawg
December 28th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Found it, it's called the pager.

To keep from accidently removing the panel (customized task bar). Make sure you lock your widgets. Then you have to unlock them to accidently delet them.