PDA

View Full Version : Finger print scanner instead of password!

jeyaganesh
October 28th, 2009, 01:38 PM
We need to type our username and password in most of the websites we visit. I got an idea to using our finger prints instead of passwords. Hope it will be possible and ubiquitous in near future!:D

maflynn
October 28th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Some laptops already have this.

btw, I remember a mythbuster episode where those crazy guys easily circumvented fingerprint scanners.

pwnst*r
October 28th, 2009, 01:46 PM
We need to type our username and password in most of the websites we visit. I got an idea to using our finger prints instead of passwords. Hope it will be possible and ubiquitous in near future!:D

lol? welcome to 2004ish.

3rdalbum
October 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Some laptops already have this.

btw, I remember a mythbuster episode where those crazy guys easily circumvented fingerprint scanners.

Not quite - they easily circumvented one of the leading "industrial-strength" fingerprint scanner door locks, but I don't think they outsmarted their laptop's scanner. Or if they did, it was quite difficult.

jeyaganesh
October 28th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I mean not only for login into the laptop. We should use finger print scanner to login to all the websites and for during software installations.

steev182
October 28th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Two stage authentication is much better than 1 stage.

Something you have and something you know (Fingerprint, iris or smartcard + password) is much more secure.

Pasdar
October 28th, 2009, 02:57 PM
You can not trick a fingerprint scanner, unless the place where the verification happens is accessible to the person trying to trick it. Example of a non-trickable system: fingerprint scans your finger, sends this information to a server at X location, verification happens, signal is sent to a mechanism unaccessible to user (e.g. on the inside) to open the door.

However I doubt any system takes it that far...

coolbrook
October 28th, 2009, 02:59 PM
The very keen invested in biometrics years ago.

As far as using it online goes... No thank you.

Pasdar
October 28th, 2009, 03:01 PM
The very keen invested in biometrics years ago.

As far as using it online goes... No thank you.

I would be very wary of using fingerprint/iris scan for anything on the internet..... evil people could bring identity theft to a whole new level...

[h2o]
October 28th, 2009, 03:03 PM
You can not trick a fingerprint scanner, unless the place where the verification happens is accessible to the person trying to trick it. Example of a non-trickable system: fingerprint scans your finger, sends this information to a server at X location, verification happens, signal is sent to a mechanism unaccessible to user (e.g. on the inside) to open the door.

However I doubt any system takes it that far...
If you fake a physical fingerprint (which is doable) why would "the place where verification happens" make a difference?
To the machine it is the correct finger.

Johnsie
October 28th, 2009, 03:09 PM
How do you know if it's a real finger print scanner sending the finger print data to the server? It could be another device maskerading as a fingerprint scanner and sending false/recordered information ie. someone elses fingerprint data that is held on a hard disk.

Either way, I don't think this would work well with my prosthetic hand.

Pasdar
October 28th, 2009, 03:10 PM
;8180535']If you fake a physical fingerprint (which is doable) why would "the place where verification happens" make a difference?
To the machine it is the correct finger.

What if the scanner checks whether its a finger or not to begin with.. e.g. warm and touches the sensor in a way a finger would (like a water drop hitting a flat surface). We don't have any materials that would imitate that. for example we can't make silicon take the shape of the fingerprint and then make a fingershaped/warmed up fake finger touch the scanner. Once that is there, you can combine the scanner with videofeed to add facial recognition, detetect stress/etc...

[h2o]
October 28th, 2009, 03:15 PM
What if the scanner checks whether its a finger or not to begin with.. e.g. warm and touches the sensor in a way a finger would (like a water drop hitting a flat surface). We don't have any materials that would imitate that. for example we can't make silicon take the shape of the fingerprint and then make a fingershaped/warmed up fake finger touch the scanner. Once that is there, you can combine the scanner with videofeed to add facial recognition, detetect stress/etc...
And for the price of that you might as well just hire someone to stand at the door and make a full DNA analysis of everyone who wants to pass...

Are you seriously defending fingerprint scanners by suggesting adding multiple other completely unrelated detection methods? And it still does not explain your hypothesis that if the verification takes place somewhere else it is not foolable.

p_quarles
October 28th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I mean not only for login into the laptop. We should use finger print scanner to login to all the websites and for during software installations.
So, instead of having a keyring of different passwords for different sites -- which shields you from disaster should one site you use be compromised -- you use one authentication technique that is based on an immutable (or nearly so) personal characteristic.

This sounds like a Bad Idea.

For remote logins that require secure authentication, those key-generating RSA fobs are a much better solution.

gnomeuser
October 28th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Fedora already ships with a fingerprint reader pam module by default (meaning you can login using your fingerprint scanner and thus also unlock the keyring). It would surprise me if they weren't working towards using fingerprinting more when available.

Pasdar
October 28th, 2009, 03:25 PM
;8180586']And for the price of that you might as well just hire someone to stand at the door and make a full DNA analysis of everyone who wants to pass...

Are you seriously defending fingerprint scanners by suggesting adding multiple other completely unrelated detection methods? And it still does not explain your hypothesis that if the verification takes place somewhere else it is not foolable.

Lol, the first two options should be coded into the scanner software, so its not seperate... just slightly different coding.

Johnsie
October 28th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Here is the data being sent from my finger print scanner to the website:

Here is the data being sent from a phishers fake fingerprint scanner to the website:

Oh dear... someone has stolen my online identity and cloned it ;-)

[h2o]
October 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Lol, the first two options should be coded into the scanner software, so its not seperate... just slightly different coding.

I just does not see any reason why those two "features" would be impossible to mimic.
Also, it would not be a software problem since it would require that the fingerprint scanner had sensors that could extract that information. To my knowledge fingerprint scanners today is just a camera.

xuCGC002
October 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Are most fingerprint scanners for logging in at BIOS? If not, that'd be incredibly easy to access someone's data while they think they're secure.