PDA

View Full Version : Any folks NOT upgrading to koala?

maflynn
October 28th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Maybe its heresy but the change list is such that I'm not all that excited about krusty koala :tongue:

Seriously, I see a couple of benefits but boot times is not really one I'd really say is a selling point when one of the claims to fame for Linux is its long uptime ability, i.e., I don't reboot it too often.

so any other poor hapless souls skipping 9.10

Wim Sturkenboom
October 28th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I only run LTS on my desktop, so no upgrade there. And UNR9.04 runs fine on the Aspire One, so I don't see a need.

RichardLinx
October 28th, 2009, 01:33 PM
It's looking like I'll be skipping 9.10. I'll probably stick with 9.04 for at least another two months or so. It's doing what I need so I won't complain. I'll probably get fed up with the few mili-seconds longer it seems to take to load up KDE apps on GNOME and eventually move to openSUSE (KDE) though.

koleoptero
October 28th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I would have stayed with jaunty till 10.04 but I have intel graphics so...

Dragonbite
October 28th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I'll probably upgrade, but that is in part because I am refreshing the hard drive for the computer since the laptop died, so it is now the "primary" computer (and going Windows).

Since LTS releases are only 2 years apart from each other, I keep thinking I should stick with those except new,shiny and exciting things keep catching my eye with each release (UbuntuOne, faster boot, better Intel graphics, etc.)

For my home servers, it's LTS only.

JillSwift
October 28th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I'll probably upgrade, but that is in part because I am refreshing the hard drive for the computer since the laptop died, so it is now the "primary" computer (and going Windows).

Since LTS releases are only 2 years apart from each other, I keep thinking I should stick with those except new,shiny and exciting things keep catching my eye with each release (UbuntuOne, faster boot, better Intel graphics, etc.)

For my home servers, it's LTS only.
This sounds... oddly familiar. :D

CharlesA
October 28th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I put 9.04 on my home server. It does the job well so I don't see any point in upgrading just yet.

I'll download the iso and throw it on another machine (or VM).. just to check it out.

Rambar
October 28th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I wont be upgrading until Christmas. Then I will probably install 9.10 AND delete my Windows partition.

mcduck
October 28th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I already upgraded.

This far every single Ubuntu release has been better than the previous one, and upgrading is free and doesn't take more than half an hour to do so I really can't see any reason why I wouldn't upgrade... :)

Not that the difference would be that great, but slightly better is still better. :D

frup
October 28th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I won't be upgrading.

I skipped 8.10 too.

I already am using grub2 and ext4, so no reason to switch. My external HDD is also broken at the moment, its a seagate Freeagent and after having to send one back and now my current ones USB connection breaking (can't send it back or they will wipe my data) I don't think I'll buy one of those again.

Johnsie
October 28th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I'm waiting until Service Pack 1. Usually in the first few weeks of mass migration a tonne of new problems are found and need to be be fixed.

I probably wont upgrade my server at work because things are working ok. There's alot of php, mysql and fop stuff on there. Everything works just right and I don't want to do anything that might change that.

xuCGC002
October 28th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I am. I want KDE 4.3 that isn't broken, testing repos!

ninjapirate89
October 28th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I'll probably wait too. I like doing a fresh install so it's not worth it to do it every 6 months, especially with Karmic as I don't see much reason to make the switch.

ssaint04
October 28th, 2009, 03:40 PM
My old laptop will be skipping it. It'll prolly stay at 9.04 until it dies.

My netbook and desktop will be getting 9.10

And my home server, I only use LTS on it, so it stays at 8.04 for now.

FuturePilot
October 28th, 2009, 03:41 PM
For now I'm sticking with 9.04 on my laptop. Karmic introduces too many regressions for me. Jaunty works near perfectly for me.

Dragonbite
October 28th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Does it count if you don't get to it until the next version is coming out? I'm not the fastest in doing any actual upgrades. :)

Johnsie
October 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I'm waiting until Service Pack 1. Usually in the first few weeks of mass migration a tonne of new problems are found and need to be be fixed.

I probably wont upgrade my server at work because things are working ok. There's alot of php, mysql and fop stuff on there and I cant risk making any changes that may cause the outputs to change in any way.

I'll eventually upgrade all the desktops when I can be bothered. Sometimes upgrading can be very time consuming. I don't know why you have to upgrade every single application just to have the latest version of an OS :-/

anaconda
October 28th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I wont upgrade my work machine (which runs 8.04).. Actually I am even affraid to update it...It is too finely balanced with some old software.. Last time it broke, when I installed wine, and it owerwrote my samba with a newer (nonworking) version.. (samba was supposed to be locked from synaptic)

But I guess I will upgrade my home machines. In the hope upgrading will correct some problems...

mamamia88
October 28th, 2009, 03:49 PM
i will be upgrading but thats because i up and deleted jaunty the other day when windows 7 came out figured it was only 2 days anyway

Bachstelze
October 28th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I upgraded long ago.

night-wing
October 28th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Yes. I'll still stay at intrepid, because ati bashes my X1250 as "legacy card" and the open source driver is still too slow for my needs...

CbrPad
October 28th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I'm staying put as well. Huawei E220 3g is broken in Karmic and I hate the two differing bootup screens. It's annoyed me so much I've downloaded the latest OpenSuse, Mandriva and Fedora betas (all KDE) after being Ubuntu only for the past five years.
I love Gnome but must say the latest KDE is damn nice too once you get used to it, and (after just two days mind of trying these) Suse seems to be coming out on top for me. I'm thinking I might dual-boot with Suse and Jaunty until the theming and 3g issues are sorted out.

handy
October 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Some of us here don't use Ubuntu anymore.

That's not to say that we are down on it, we just prefer a slightly different flavour of Linux.

It's worth noting that these circumstances aren't a preventative as far as being able to offer support to Ubuntu users, as so much is the same across so many Linux distros.

John Bean
October 28th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Huawei E220 3g is broken in Karmic
I'm astounded they released with this bug - especially since the cause is known. This will upset (to put it politely) quite a lot of non-techie users who rely on 3G as their only internet connection.

bonfire89
October 28th, 2009, 05:33 PM

oh jesus yes... I was affected by this too. It was a terrible terrible time..

I wont be upgrading my home server to karmic. It's running jaunty right now. I will upgrading to the next LTS when it comes out, and probably only run LTSs on it in the future.

drawkcab
October 28th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Same here. My eeepc runs much better in Karmic.

ukripper
October 28th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I am in crowd of not going for 9.10. Will be installing 10.04LTS though when 9.04 reaches EOL

Sugz
October 28th, 2009, 06:09 PM
IM still on 7.10 gutsy :p because its the way I like it, and installing a new version will ruin all my hard work, from what I can foresee.

ukripper
October 28th, 2009, 06:14 PM
IM still on 7.10 gutsy :p because its the way I like it, and installing a new version will ruin all my hard work, from what I can foresee.

You won't get any security updates (as 7.10 is already over its EOL) that could ruin your privacy(or may be worse) if your system is compromised.

maflynn
October 28th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Some of us here don't use Ubuntu anymore.

Understandable, but given I put this thread in a ubuntu forum, I'm pretty sure the majority of people here are on ubuntu.

I'm half and half at this point. I'm finishing up my install of fedora 11 and I'm comparing f11 and jaunty to see which distro I like the best.

vexorian
October 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM
For some reason we have this discussion everytime a new release comes.

Use the version you feel most comfortable with. I generally switch only once yearly.

Wim Sturkenboom
October 28th, 2009, 07:00 PM
... Huawei E220 3g is broken in Karmic ...

I'm astounded they released with this bug - especially since the cause is known. This will upset (to put it politely) quite a lot of non-techie users who rely on 3G as their only internet connection.

If this is true, I have had it. In that case I could not care less if Ubuntu dies a slow and painful death but they give Linux a bad name in this way and I do care about that. Oh, just realize that it's better to kill it straight away, else they will probably screw up more things for the Linux community.

It was nice as long as it lasted. I have used Warty and liked it. When they came with LTS, I switched to Dapper as my main OS and I'm now on Hardy.

The long search has started.

vexorian
October 28th, 2009, 07:04 PM
If this is true, I have had it. In that case I could not care less if Ubuntu dies a slow and painful death but they give Linux a bad name in this way and I do care about that. Oh, just realize that it's better to kill it straight away, else they will probably screw up more things for the Linux community.

It was nice as long as it lasted. I have used Warty and liked it. When they came with LTS, I switched to Dapper as my main OS and I'm now on Hardy.

Yep we even get this sort of complete overreactions to bugs as well.

These threads always happen... It is just a release... You may also wait three months before switching, or a whole year if you are really comfortable with your current version.

brookie
October 28th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I have three machines on Intrepid Ibex 8.10 all running smoothly right now.

I would love to install Karmic Koala on an external hdd because I like messing around and setting up new OSes but for now I think Intrepid is great.

As for Jaunty, my external mouse did not work with Jaunty on my Inspiron 600m and the Jaunty install just crashed on my Inspiron 5150. My last machine is an HP v5000 and Intrepid was installable with low graphics mode only during install, but works great after install.

I think Intrepid will be ending it's support cycle just about when the next 10.04 LTS is released. Hopefully Intrepid will run on our old machines till then and hopefully the next LTS will run on these old dogs as well.

... or just maybe Santa will drop a shipment of desktops off at our house for Christmas. :)

Hard not to take the bait though. Hook, line, and sinker. Hmmm???

Krunchy Koala dipped in chocolate.

Ubuntu Rocks!

Cheers,
brook

dj-toonz
October 28th, 2009, 07:05 PM

That's the reason I'm staying with Jaunty on the laptop, 3g modems work in Karmic 9.10 in till you update to the latest kernel then it's good-bye 3g modem (doesn't work) & they still even haven't fixed the problem yet & it's realised in under 12 hours, come on not good

lisati
October 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Like some of the others who have posted in this thred, I have no great need to update/upgrade at the moment, but suspect that curiosity will probably get the better of me some time in the next few days.

Nevon
October 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Jaunty was pretty damn bad for me (intel video chip, Nautilus rendering itself useless and stripping me of my desktop, no webcam or microphone, among other things), so that's why I replaced it with Karmic as soon as the RC was out. So far it's worked beautifully for me, except for some minor things. So I'm happy.

dj-toonz
October 28th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Jaunty was pretty damn bad for me (intel video chip, Nautilus rendering itself useless and stripping me of my desktop, no webcam or microphone, among other things), so that's why I replaced it with Karmic as soon as the RC was out. So far it's worked beautifully for me, except for some minor things. So I'm happy.

If I wanted a operating system to kill some of my hardware I would over to the dark side & installed the shudders to think of it Windows, I wouldn't of expected it from Ubuntu, I've never had a problem with Jaunty, Every things worked great on both the Desktop & laptop for me. then 1 kernel update in Karmic 9.10 kills the modem & haven't even fixed it yet :( not good I say, why I'm staying with jaunty till jan or might miss a release & wait till lynx 10.4 & LTS & see what that's like

KiwiNZ
October 28th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I am not upgrading

Dragonbite
October 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM
When I updated from 8.04 to 9.04, one reason was because my webcam worked in 9.04 but did not in 8.04. I look forward to seeing how it works in 9.10 and Fedora 12 (where they specifically list increased webcam support).

sanderella
October 28th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I don't think I'll bother, just wait for the next LTS.:neutral:

Jordanwb
October 28th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I'm trying 9.10 RC on my desktop. If I like it I'll do a clean install on my laptop.

gan1708
October 28th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I won't be upgrading to Karmic on my main desktop for another 2 weeks at the very least. Reason is because I've got some important work to finish and can't afford any changes to my workflow right now.

I will try out Kubuntu Netbook Remix over the weekend, though. I'm mainly a Gnome and OpenBox user, but I've heard good things about KDE on netbooks (KDE4 broke itself left, right and center on my main machine when it first came out, but I think it's more than ready now, judging from all the positive opinions on this forum).

Also have a 3+ yr old ThinkPad which I won't be upgrading (currently dual-boots Debian and WinXP)

dragos240
October 28th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Well. I use arch so.........

steeleyuk
October 28th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I've been running it since alpha 4 but planning on moving to Fedora once 12 comes out. So yes and no, kinda. :)

HappyFeet
October 28th, 2009, 10:33 PM
If this is true, I have had it. In that case I could not care less if Ubuntu dies a slow and painful death but they give Linux a bad name in this way and I do care about that.

Geez, do you have to be this dramatic? Give it a few weeks and they will have fixed it via updates. What's wrong with people?

Wim Sturkenboom
October 28th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Yep we even get this sort of complete overreactions to bugs as well.

These threads always happen... It is just a release... You may also wait three months before switching, or a whole year if you are really comfortable with your current version.It has been brewing for a while and this is just too much (Intel video, no reaction on reported bug in an LTS release, E220). Ubuntu does no longer live up to it's name (humanity to others) as they seem to be completely ignoring the others (read users). They should have the guts to stop the release, fix the issue and release when ready. They did it in the past with Dapper (6.06).

Don't forget that for many users that modem will be the only connection to the internet and once it's ruined, they will not be able to fix it except by re-installing their older version.

Wim Sturkenboom
October 28th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Geez, do you have to be this dramatic? Give it a few weeks and they will have fixed it via updates. What's wrong with people?So somebody has lost his/her internet connection due to the upgrade and it will be fixed via an update? Please explain how you see that working?

Icehuck
October 28th, 2009, 11:02 PM
So somebody has lost his/her internet connection due to the upgrade and it will be fixed via an update? Please explain how you see that working?

You don't need that!

Though in all seriousness it's one of those bugs that should have been fixed but probably never will be. I experienced a number of those dealing with my video card and wifi since 7.10.

I'll try 9.10 with a liveCD but if it has problems, I'll probably be ditching Arch and going with Debian.

Johnsie
October 28th, 2009, 11:17 PM
3G is a show stopper for me too. I'm a professional programmer and I need access to the systems at work while on the move. If my 3G doesn't work with Koala then I will either have to go back to Jaunty or boot into Windows 7 instead. Booting into Windows 7 would be alot less hassle than re-installing Ubuntu.

John Bean
October 28th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Geez, do you have to be this dramatic? Give it a few weeks and they will have fixed it via updates.
While I agree with your first point, the second is the real problem. If it breaks the 3G modem and said modem is the user's only internet connection, then how do you fix it via updates?

Despite the over-reaction it is and will be a major problem for a significant minority of users. The decision to release with a known kernel bug of this nature rather than regressing it is odd to say the least. The previous kernel had no such problem.

Johnsie
October 28th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I don't think he's overreacting. What use is an operating system that cannot access the Internet properly? Those modems are quite popular and should work.

t0p
October 28th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I've had 8.04 on my desktop machine for over a year now. I was planning to stick with it until the next LTS, but now I'm not so sure. I've got 9.04 on my netbook, and the improvement from Hardy to Jaunty was amazing; I'd really like some of that on my desktop now, rather than waiting another 6 months. Plus I'd really like to encrypt my entire hard drive, which means I need to do an alternate disk install.

I'm not planning to do any upgrades in the next few weeks anyway. I shall probably download the Karmic live cd image and give it a spin on the desktop, to check all the hardware works and to get a feel for the new release. If it enchants me, I'll get the alternate install disk and do a full installation. That'll enable me to encrypt the entire hard drive and also put the home directory on its own partition, something else I've wanted to do for a while. If Karmic isn't wondrous, I'll wait for Lucid. One thing I don't want to do is screw up my desktop machine. While it isn't mission-critical, I do the majority of my work on it. So stability is pretty important.

As for my EeePC... well, that is something else. I'm currently running Eeebuntu 3 (Jaunty) and it's great. But Eeebuntu Karmic may be greater. Since the netbook is more of an "experimental" machine to me, I'll probably throw Karmic on it. I can always reinstall Jaunty if need be. Then again, I might give the Eeebuntu LXDE Beta a go. It's based on Jaunty, but I have no idea when Karmic-based Eeebuntu will come out anyway. So, maybe, maybe not. Variety and spice, etc.

monkeyKata
October 29th, 2009, 02:24 AM

I had issues with intel graphics running Jaunty. Now everything runs flawlessly. What did I do...?

For one, I upgraded from the 2.28 kernel to 2.30. I also updated the xserver-xorg-video-intel to version 2.7 (though I think 2.9 is now available) using this ppa:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

What else... I added the line
Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
to the Device section of the xorg.conf file.

For me that did it. I believe the kernel helped a lot. Is the kernel in Karmic 2.31 or something higher? Anyone with intel graphics have it running well?

Might not need to mess with the ppa, perhaps Karmic has the latest intel driver in its repositories.

night-wing
October 29th, 2009, 10:18 AM

That's right. I also have exact this problem (with an E160 Huawei).

tom66
October 29th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Me, because resume and fglrx are broken.

rudihawk
October 29th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Keeping 9.04 on desktop.

Running 9.10 on my netbook :)

Dragonbite
October 29th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I'm starting to reconsider, and to wait until 10.04 LTS. I'm still in the process of getting everything running and set up the way I like and I'm not sure I want to upgrade and go through any of it again yet.

With the LTSs, at least I should be able to get about 2 years in-between and by then the new versions of applications should be improved but still stable.

I don't know. Depends when I actually download/receive CDs.

Jekshadow
November 3rd, 2009, 08:14 AM
I upgraded, but now I'm going to downgrade to Jaunty again. The upgrade to 9.10 completely screwed up my system. I have to use the 2.6.28 kernel, because the 2.6.31 kernel has problems with my LUKS encryption + LVM setup...

purgatori
November 3rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
If I'd known what was in store for me, I wouldn't have upgraded, but its too late now.

sim-value
November 3rd, 2009, 09:51 AM
i'm waiting until service pack 1. Usually in the first few weeks of mass migration a tonne of new problems are found and need to be be fixed.

w t f ?

bornagainpenguin
November 3rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Same here. My eeepc runs much better in Karmic.

Just be sure not to try turning off your WiFi!

--bornagainpenguin

fourtyseven
November 3rd, 2009, 12:44 PM
Over the past few months I have slowly become more and more disappointed with Ubuntu and Canonical. I wanted to upgrade but I've been told (by shipit) that I dont really need one and that I should rather download the iso. Since I do not have an internet connection, I suppose it'll have to be another distro for me. Opensuse anyone?

Algus
November 3rd, 2009, 01:03 PM
At first I kind of regretted the upgrade because I had some irritating problems (like messed up video) that I hadn't had in 9.04.

Some of the new design choices I also find kind of questionable. I don't care for the new icons for one. I would say that 9.10 was the first Ubuntu distro that I was mildly disappointed in.

However, as I've used it more over the weekend and fiddled with more of the new features, my opinion has started to soften.

I'll probably upgrade to Lynx when it comes out and then just stick with it until the next LTS. Of course, I say that now but by the time 10.10 comes out I'll probably want to upgrade to the "latest" version.

As Ubuntu moves forward though, I hope they don't forget that Ubuntu is still Linux in their efforts to make the OS more appealing to a broader audience. I'm convinced that we can have Linux and it can also be easy for non-techies. Heck, I'm not much one of one myself and I rarely have problems.

John Bean
November 3rd, 2009, 02:38 PM
Over the past few months I have slowly become more and more disappointed with Ubuntu and Canonical. I wanted to upgrade but I've been told (by shipit) that I dont really need one and that I should rather download the iso. Since I do not have an internet connection, I suppose it'll have to be another distro for me.
I agree they haven't thought through the new ShipIt restrictions. Quite apart from those who have no internet connection at all (then how are you reading this??) there are a sizeable minority on dialup or data-costly 3G connections that make routine ISO downloads impossible or prohibitively expensive.

underquark
November 3rd, 2009, 03:00 PM
Out of sheer lazinees, if nothing else, I'll probably skip it. Went from Dapper to Fiesty (to, ahem Windows) to Jaunty. I ran the 'H' one as a virtual machine for a while. I think the only time I got excited about a software/OS upgrade and didn't actually immediately regret hastily installing it was when DOS 6.2 came out (almost six years ago to the day).

[Edit]
Who am I kidding; MS DOS 6.2 came out sixTEEN years ago.

Labello
November 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
Well I got the Karmic Kernel and installed some video drivers from xorg-edgers-ppa which contains only the things I really need. the rest is uninteresting for me since i use crunchbanglinux anyway

Dragonbite
November 3rd, 2009, 03:30 PM
Over the past few months I have slowly become more and more disappointed with Ubuntu and Canonical. I wanted to upgrade but I've been told (by shipit) that I dont really need one and that I should rather download the iso. Since I do not have an internet connection, I suppose it'll have to be another distro for me. Opensuse anyone?

I agree they haven't thought through the new ShipIt restrictions. Quite apart from those who have no internet connection at all (then how are you reading this??) there are a sizeable minority on dialup or data-costly 3G connections that make routine ISO downloads impossible or prohibitively expensive.

Have you tried from the ShipIt form to click the special request link and in that form describe your issue in the Why are you requesting these CDs? text box?

You can still specify only one CD, but if it gets checked by a real human being then they may be able to appropriate one your way if you have a valid reason.

If it is an area where there is little or no bandwidth available, maybe even order a few so you can pass them out to other people who may be interested as well.

Don't know if it will work, but it may be worth a try.

John Bean
November 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Have you tried from the ShipIt form to click the special request link and in that form describe your issue in the Why are you requesting these CDs? text box?

I can't even log in to ShipIt. I made a pre-release request weeks ago that was apparently accepted, but when I tried to check its status I get the polite but firm "get lost" message as soon as I try to log in.

Don't know if it will work, but it may be worth a try.

I'll have another look, thanks for the pointer.

Dragonbite
November 3rd, 2009, 06:18 PM
I can't even log in to ShipIt. I made a pre-release request weeks ago that was apparently accepted, but when I tried to check its status I get the polite but firm "get lost" message as soon as I try to log in.

Oh! I didn't know that. I thought it was something that came up after you tried to order, like when you look and see the status of an order!

yossell
November 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
Having tried and failed with Ubuntu a couple of years ago, I only got enthusiastic about Linux and Ubuntu three or four months ago, when 9.04 worked perfectly on all my machines - I'm enjoying a smooth working system too much to want to risk an upgrade at this point.

gn2
November 3rd, 2009, 07:18 PM
Still running 8.04, won't be looking at 9.10 at all, waiting for 10.04.
Two years between LTS releases suits me, I can't be bothered with too much change for change's sake.

redbook4574
November 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
I upgraded to SUSE 11.2 largely because 9.10 was dire, I'm so disappointed.

koenn
November 3rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
I stick with LTS.
My hardware isn't all that new and everything has worked flawlessly since Dapper, so in terms of hardware support, new releases have nothing to offer me.

I consider all the 6-monthly upgraders testers. By the time the next LTS comes around; canonical will once again have learned some valuable lessons about what works well and what doesn't, and they'll compose yet another LTS for me to effortlessly upgrade to.
Meanwhile, thanks to everyone for helping them sort things out.

:-)

Sand & Mercury
November 3rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
For now, I've switched back to Windows. Koala was doing pretty good though until I tried launching any full screen app or try to play a game, then I'd be lucky to be able to even start it without X having a seizure.

W7 in comparison, is treating me rather well. I can even move windows around the screen without tearing!

fourtyseven
November 4th, 2009, 07:06 AM

I cant even get that far in the process; after logging in I click on the "request cd' link and I get a message telling me I cant get one unless I download the iso.

You can still specify only one CD, but if it gets checked by a real human being then they may be able to appropriate one your way if you have a valid reason.

I wrote shipit and told them why I believe I should get a copy and the responded by requesting me to write them and tell them why I think I deserve one... erm isn't that what I did?

Anyways, I will either save up for a few weeks and order Karmic from the Ubuntu shop or I'll switch to Open Suse; I have a friend who works at Novell and she can get me as many copies as I need.